Weaning weights?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
jscunn
GURU
GURU

Re: Weaning weights?

Post by jscunn » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:24 pm

Fall Calves
Creep Fed, but more importantly cows on rye grass pasture most of the winter..
14 Steers and 2 Bulls average 701# (adjusted to 205 days using BIF Formula) High was 874#, low 611#
15 Heifers average 667# (adj to 205 days) high 737# low 559#

All Straight Angus. Some AI.

holm25
Rancher
Rancher

Post by holm25 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:33 pm

At about 210 days our steers wean off at an average of 680lbs and heifers average 630lbs.. That’s with no creep. Only milk and grass/hay... We do bunk break them but they get no more than a few handfuls per calf a day and are on that for a week or two..

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:37 pm

Mutts here, calving season Mar 6 to May 1. Spend the summer in the bush. Wean straight off the cow and onto the truck. Hauled 2.5 hrs to weigh up. 2016 steers averaged 670 lbs, 2017 was a tough grass year averaged 650 lbs. We'll see what this year brings, I'm not convinced they are as heavy, but my wife says that's what I say every year.

Edited to add: Weaning is mid to late October
Last edited by Silver on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Coosh71 wrote:can't feed hay and cake all winter to justify an extra $200 at the sale in Jan/Feb. If we have wheat that's a different story. But weather has killed that lately

Someone is making $$$ feeding those calves. Yes - - feed cost is a big part of it. Corn silage or beet byproduct are traditional back grounding staples in this area. Some years they about give it away.

Hard to pay for a feeding facility if you only use it 30 to 60 days per year. We usually leave them on the cow so yardage is about zero.

Problem is inputs keep going up, but most calf producers are selling the same number of pounds each year. How does that work??? :cry:

Hard to find byproducts here. And if you do... just as soon as whoever is selling it finds out there’s a little demand they jack up the price to where it’s cost prohibitive. WCS is one of our best options. Price swings wildly here. Maybe this year it will be cheaper.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:59 am

Fall ,crosses to a RA sire last year avg 651for the steers and 586 for the heifers after 45 days weaned on stockpiled grass. With the drought conditions , and absolutely nothing but hay from sept, I was pretty happy . I hope to do a little better this year , with facilities up to snuff and some great fall grass.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:13 am

snoopdog wrote:Fall ,crosses to a RA sire last year avg 651for the steers and 586 for the heifers after 45 days weaned on stockpiled grass. With the drought conditions , and absolutely nothing but hay from sept, I was pretty happy . I hope to do a little better this year , with facilities up to snuff and some great fall grass.

How old when weaned and weighed?
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

SimAngHerf
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by SimAngHerf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:54 am

So if I assume an average BW of 85lbs, it seems 2.3 to 2.4ADG is the norm from yalls data so far. Not every year is lush so I understand that is a factor as well. I am working on improving all of our pastures and adding legumes but really focusing on a 35acre weaning paddock of hybrid Bermuda, anyone had any success creep grazing? All of my pastures touch this one so I think I could function.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 am

JMJ Farms wrote:Hard to find byproducts here. And if you do... just as soon as whoever is selling it finds out there’s a little demand they jack up the price to where it’s cost prohibitive.

We are in a low cost feed area becausue medium sized dairies keep selling out their cows, and then try to sell corn and hay for a while...
If you really wanted to background in a high feed cost area - - you could graze annauls. Lots of management, but potentially more profitable than low priced purchased feed.
Stocker Steve

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Putangitangi » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:23 pm

Spring or fall calving?
Weaning age?
Breed?
Implanted or creep feed?
Location?

Spring - later than most. Norm around here is August, I wait until October when warmer and maybe drier.
6.5 months avg. This year kept my replacement heifers on until 9 months. An experiment in lifelong effect.
Angus, some bred up from dairy crosses a couple of decades ago.
No implants, no creep, grass/milk only. Grass is sub-tropical Kikuyu - high fibre, supposedly poor feed, seems to do them well.
North NZ.

Adjusted 200 days (adjusted calf age only, no dam age adjustment)
Steer 602#
Heifers 558#

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:49 pm

I'm trying to get more uniform weights.. less dinks. This year seems pretty good, all the first timers raised fantastic calves, at expense of their own condition.. 2 of them got weaned off about 2 weeks ago and have regained condition already.
Since milking cows eat SO much, and fall pasture is always very valuable to me, I wean a little earlier than most, Calf in March, wean late september, heifers are about 550, steers are around 600. One cow is raising twins and they're in the high 500's, but I don't think she bred back.

I also leave my replacement heifers with mommas for an extra couple months when I can, wean in December or so
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:Hard to find byproducts here. And if you do... just as soon as whoever is selling it finds out there’s a little demand they jack up the price to where it’s cost prohibitive.

We are in a low cost feed area becausue medium sized dairies keep selling out their cows, and then try to sell corn and hay for a while...
If you really wanted to background in a high feed cost area - - you could graze annauls. Lots of management, but potentially more profitable than low priced purchased feed.

I like grazing Steve. I think if there’s a way to let the cow or calf harvest their own food that’s the cheapest way to feed them usually. I promise I’m not trying to be negative or keep coming up with reasons something won’t work but the problem here with grazing annuals is that almost every fall during the normal planting time it gets dry as a popcorn fart and is usually still hot until Mid October. Then we get a little moisture, get it planted, and bam, it turns cold. Then it doesn’t hardly do squat till early spring.

I want to go to a grazing only operation and use hay only as a backup during hard times. About concluded that the only way to accomplish this in Georgia with any consistency is gonna be with center pivots. It’ll work for sure then but it’s a long term investment. Probably gonna put one on one pasture in about 3 years. Got some more stuff to pay for first.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:27 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
snoopdog wrote:Fall ,crosses to a RA sire last year avg 651for the steers and 586 for the heifers after 45 days weaned on stockpiled grass. With the drought conditions , and absolutely nothing but hay from sept, I was pretty happy . I hope to do a little better this year , with facilities up to snuff and some great fall grass.

How old when weaned and weighed?
We had a spread out season last year Jeanne , we bought this herd, and , without looking at the records I'm going to say that they averaged about 220days at weaning , more on a few, but some were hogs, therefore the avg. I've bought a lot of calves , and I just don't see the weights that some claim, off the trailer .
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is