Our calving season officially started today

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Our calving season officially started today

Postby gizmom » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:37 pm

Had our first heifer calve this morning the heifer is a SAV Recharge out of a Pathfinder dam. No assistance 66pound bull calf out of SAV Pioneer 7301. Unfortunately another heifer was acting off Mike pulled her up and she had a dead calf, he figured she lost it two or three days ago. It wasn’t due until the end of August, I hate losing one just bums me out something terrible.

Sure wanted a female out of this mating, but just glad it’s here and it’s healthy.

Gizmom
6 x
Respect give it to get it!

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Our calving season officially started today

Postby Coosh71 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Good looking pair! Congrats
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:08 am

That is a handy BW for a heifer.

Ken
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:12 am

Oops I meant the calf we lost was due end of October not August. The heifer that calved was shown by a local 4-Her She did a really great job showing the heifer. That is why she doesn’t have an ear tag or freeze brand. Her dam is a 5x25 out of the All Star cow that I tried for several years to get a daughter out of. I really wanted a female, but that usually guarantees just the opposite.

Gizmom
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Although I don't have a defined calving season....I've got a bunch grouped up because of bull issues a couple years ago. Mine got under way August 30. So far 11 on the ground and about 20 more before they begin to string out again. I feel I got lucky with one Saturday evening, spotted her with a nasty rear end and bag not looking close. Figured she slipped it but Monday morning she had a fresh calf. Getting a bunch of chromed up yellow and greys out of the charolais bull. Image
3 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:37 pm

Been awhile since I've seen any yellow baldies...probably late eighties..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:59 pm

We had another late this afternoon haven’t messed with it not due until 10/8 I won’t be surprised if it turns out to be twins. Jacob going to check her when he gets home. Calf was up and nursing just really small but then it is a month early. It is out of a 2007 model cow and Bennett Absolute W299

Gizmom
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:10 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Been awhile since I've seen any yellow baldies...probably late eighties..

Hereford/Brangus bred to the Charolais. Really hadn’t thought about what I’d get but the chrome and white faces seem to be it.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:32 pm

1982vett wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:Been awhile since I've seen any yellow baldies...probably late eighties..

Hereford/Brangus bred to the Charolais. Really hadn’t thought about what I’d get but the chrome and white faces seem to be it.

Stockyard owner had a nice herd of brangus momas,covered by Charolais Bulls. some dandy calves,all big stout and uniform.....
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:31 am

Vett

That is a dandy calf! I went back to check the cow with the itty bitty calf still only one and no sign of labor to have another. We will take another look this morning. While checking had another heifer drop her calf I didn’t get to close since she was doing her job calf was up and nursing. It is our first SAV Reign calf. I love this time of year!

Gizmom
1 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Got 15 on the ground now. 11 bulls and 4 heifers.
1 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:07 pm

We had #5 today counting the one we lost. So far the beginning of calving has sucked calf F1 was fine but managed to get himself stomped by in a gathering area. Hopefully he will be ok. 2nd calf didn’t get a tag born DOA a month early. Calf F2 was alive but a month early heifer calf weighing 44 pounds out of Bennett Absolute. Calf F3 two weeks early 53# bull calf that so far is ok out of S A V Reign. Calf F4 came today out of a first calf heifer, Jacob said she just didn’t seem all that interested in the calf so he penned them up to make sure all was ok. Witnessed calf nursing and mamma taking care of it so hopefully all is well62 pound bull calf out of Buford Pathfinder

jImage
Pictured is today’s calf out of Gizmo Pride 21 B51 413 reg# 18807266 she is a pretty nice heifer.

[URL=http://s8IMG31.photobucket.com/user/gizmom/media/1D7CB7BB-0D46-4DEE-A907-C1DE2BCB99CD_zpssvnu5e47.jpeg.html]Image[/

Gizmom
1 x

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Postby jscunn » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:59 pm

I hope your calving season straightens out, gizmom.. At least you have plenty of good help.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Number F5 arrived today 79 pound bull calf out of a first calf heifer and Bennett Absolute. Jacob said it is a nice one, heifer had it with no problem. He started setting up Donors to flush today as well. It seems really strange the boss and I pulled out for a trip on Thursday won’t be back until the 1st. Jscunn it is a blessing to have Jacob, Mike and now Archie taking care of things where we can enjoy our golden years! But it does feel a bit off to know donors need shots and calves are coming and we aren’t there doing it ourselves.

Gizmom
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:12 pm

gizmom wrote:Number F5 arrived today 79 pound bull calf out of a first calf heifer and Bennett Absolute. Jacob said it is a nice one, heifer had it with no problem. He started setting up Donors to flush today as well. It seems really strange the boss and I pulled out for a trip on Thursday won’t be back until the 1st. Jscunn it is a blessing to have Jacob, Mike and now Archie taking care of things where we can enjoy our golden years! But it does feel a bit off to know donors need shots and calves are coming and we aren’t there doing it ourselves.

Gizmom

Slackers, enjoy yourselves and stay safe.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Breeds Board”