Our calving season officially started today

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Re: Our calving season officially started today

Postby jscunn » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:10 pm

GM,
How many donors you got to set up?
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:16 am

Jscunn
We are setting up two. The one we purchased at the Siebring sale last year SAV Blackbird 9057 and the SAV Blackcap May 0524 cow. 9057 calved in April so first time flushing her. We have three flushes scheduled trying to get a bank of eggs before we put them in recips on January 5th. I have 17 calves on the ground out of the 0524 and they are all really good, I love the consistency I am seein out of this cow. She isn’t the best looking cow in the pasture but she is sure doing everything I had hoped for. Really good numbers excellent performance and her babies are much more eye appealing than there mother.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rollinhills » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:32 pm

gizmom wrote:Jscunn
We are setting up two. The one we purchased at the Siebring sale last year SAV Blackbird 9057 and the SAV Blackcap May 0524 cow. 9057 calved in April so first time flushing her. We have three flushes scheduled trying to get a bank of eggs before we put them in recips on January 5th. I have 17 calves on the ground out of the 0524 and they are all really good, I love the consistency I am seein out of this cow. She isn’t the best looking cow in the pasture but she is sure doing everything I had hoped for. Really good numbers excellent performance and her babies are much more eye appealing than there mother.

Gizmom

Have you had any Buford Pathfinder calves yet, or I think I remember you saying you were gonna use him. I’ve got 2 yearlings and they are pretty good, or aleast I like them.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Rollinhills
We have two Buford Pathfinder's on the ground to date a 61 pound bull out of a first calf heifer he is pictured on the first page of this thread. Can't tell much about him at this stage, but I think she is going to be nice. Had another today a 71 pound heifer out of another first calf heifer. They tagged number F10 today we had a SAV Priority, SAV Reign, BC Matrix, SAV Pioneer and the Buford Pathfinder. I have a few more Pathfinders due out of the mature cow group. When I sample a bull I like to try him on heifers (if a heifer bull) as well as on some proven cows. I am currently in the Smokey Mountains so haven't seen any of the calves other than F1 - F3 the rest are going to get looked at close in about a week. I like hearing that your Pathfinder calves have worked out for you! I hope I can say the same this time next year. Oh the F1 calf that got stomped on, the boss hauled to the vet on Wednesday before we pulled out, he has two fractured bones above the elbow on his front leg, nothing we can do but let it continue to heal. So we pulled that pair to the house where we could keep them short penned and give the baby time to heal up. I guess he will be our freezer beef for next year. Really sucks, his dam is really nice and he should of made a heck of a herd bull.

gizmom
0 x

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:51 pm

Hey Gizmom, wasn’t too long ago when these two young ladies ran after their moms up/down your pretty pastures.

1 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:22 pm

Gator

I think they look pretty sporty, but admit to being partial since I know their mammas! Looks like they have some pretty pastures at their new home as well.

Gizmom
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 am

I am starting to get anxious to get home, I don't know if I am any good at this not being home during calving season. They send me text message calving reports and I am able to get the new calves entered into the AIMS program, but not being able to see them is killing me. As of this morning we have 20 calves on the ground one of my favorite cows calved today she had a heifer calf out of Reign, it should be a dandy. The 2nd ET calf arrived both the ET calves are out of the 6R109 donor and Coleman EXT 6149 and both are heifers. Mike is tagging today and his comment on the ET calf was she is stout! I was sure wanting to add more daughters out of 6R109 so it looks like I am getting my wish! Our due date is not until Oct. 8th for ET and our AI calves, Jacob told me this morning that looking at the cows he thinks the weekend is going to be really busy tagging and weighing calves, Mike has tagged 4 today already so I think Jacob is right the next two days will be busy. We still have 28 ET calves due so hopefully I will be home in time to see a few arrive.

gizmom
2 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:55 pm

rollinhills

Buford Pathfinder heifer calved 10/4/2018 weighed 61 pounds.

gizmom
1 x

T & B farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby T & B farms » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:08 pm

gizmom wrote:rollinhills

Buford Pathfinder heifer calved 10/4/2018 weighed 61 pounds.

gizmom

That heifer is a pathfinder? Or the calf?
Good looking pair. Pathfinder is a bull on my list
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:31 pm

The F50 calf is a Pathfinder heifer the cow is 1306 a Coleman EXT 6149 daughter out of our Black Bell cow family.

Gizmom
1 x

Return to “Breeds Board”