What do you think of her?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

What do you think of her?

Postby holm25 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Well we are about a meeting nth and a half from evening and most of the calves are looking great... Only had 3 possible Retainment heifers this year. I’m not sure if I like this one or not.. What do y’all think of her? Picture of her and her dam... A lot of simmi influence in both calf and dam..

0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: What do you think of her?

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Not bad, a little hairy for this time of year...don't know your location..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:26 pm

I don't care for her legs Holm. You can always feed her for a few months and see if she turns into something more. If not, finish her out. The perks of feeding heifers.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:53 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Not bad, a little hairy for this time of year...don't know your location..

We are in Minnesota.
0 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:54 pm

bball wrote:I don't care for her legs Holm. You can always feed her for a few months and see if she turns into something more. If not, finish her out. The perks of feeding heifers.

I don’t care for her legs in this picture either. I should get a video of her out on the move... Don’t look quite so bad.. She’s not the prettiest heifer in the world that’s for darn sure
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:56 pm

The cow looks decent (she looks to have a big foot! I like that), however I do not care for the heifer. She has a lot of leg under her, and is shallow in her fore rib. She has a ton of leather, which makes her look even more shallow since her brisket hangs down in front. She is heavy fronted, basically. BUT, that does not mean she will be a bad cow, just not eye pleasing as a heifer for me. If I have to look at her in the pasture, I better like her! At least, that is how I run the farm over here.... lol

A video would be helpful, because it could just be the pose (her legs are up underneath her in the rear, and she appears to be leaning back)
2 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Her legs are ok ..she just finer made,got a pretty good butt with some muscle definition. bet she'll develop into a decent heifer...
1 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:04 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:The cow looks decent (she looks to have a big foot! I like that), however I do not care for the heifer. She has a lot of leg under her, and is shallow in her fore rib. She has a ton of leather, which makes her look even more shallow since her brisket hangs down in front. She is heavy fronted, basically. BUT, that does not mean she will be a bad cow, just not eye pleasing as a heifer for me. If I have to look at her in the pasture, I better like her! At least, that is how I run the farm over here.... lol

A video would be helpful, because it could just be the pose (her legs are up underneath her in the rear, and she appears to be leaning back)

I will get a video of her. If she raises a calf the way her mom usually does she will make a good cow... We will see.. I like a heifer with a little more leather :D
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:04 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Her legs are ok ..she just finer made,got a pretty good butt with some muscle definition. bet she'll develop into a decent heifer...

Maybe that's what it is A.C.. she's just finer boned and the pose she's in as Fire sweep observed.
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:08 pm

I am truly curious what her dam looked like at that age. I can see her in her dam. I think the heifer has some good pieces and her overall structure isn't bad. I think she gives up muscle in her lower third (dam does too for what its worth) and she is a touch fine boned for her overall frame. I would feed her for a bit longer and see... :2cents:
2 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:13 pm

holm25 wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:The cow looks decent (she looks to have a big foot! I like that), however I do not care for the heifer. She has a lot of leg under her, and is shallow in her fore rib. She has a ton of leather, which makes her look even more shallow since her brisket hangs down in front. She is heavy fronted, basically. BUT, that does not mean she will be a bad cow, just not eye pleasing as a heifer for me. If I have to look at her in the pasture, I better like her! At least, that is how I run the farm over here.... lol

I will get a video of her. If she raises a calf the way her mom usually does she will make a good cow... We will see.. I like a heifer with a little more leather :D
a brood cow,like a brood horse.. Pretty is as pretty do...a animal that spends her entire life pumping out production. without trouble is easier to look at......now having said that, I dont want a bunch of ugly cattle messing my place up :cowboy:
2 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:25 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
holm25 wrote:

a brood cow,like a brood horse.. Pretty is as pretty do...a animal that spends her entire life pumping out production. without trouble is easier to look at......now having said that, I dont want a bunch of ugly cattle messing my place up :cowboy:

That’s the truth Alacowman
0 x

Franke
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Franke » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Level topped, but if you have doubts and don’t need her don’t keep her.
0 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:18 pm

Franke wrote:Level topped, but if you have doubts and don’t need her don’t keep her.
We actually really use some good heifers right now. Sold three pairs last week (all had steers on the side) and have 2-3 other pair we will sell next year.
0 x

Franke
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Franke » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:24 pm

Well once we wean we will have to see where we are at with our heifers and you could come look at them. What part of Minnesota are you in.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”