Black Charolais Bulls?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Re: Black Charolais Bulls?

Postby Muddy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:51 pm

sstterry wrote:This article from 1998 may provide some info.
https://www.producer.com/1998/04/charolais-breeders-turn-cattle-black/
They have verified parentage through blood tests and DNA typing.

Maybe these black Charolais came from the bred-up Charolais cattle not full blooded french Charolais?
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Muddy wrote:

Maybe these black Charolais came from the bred-up Charolais cattle not full blooded french Charolais?

I have had a few calves born with a light reddish tint, from purebreds with bred up ancestry. All but a couple of those calves turned white within a month or so, the others remained that light red color. Have even had a couple born with a light colored red Hereford color pattern that turned all white too. A dark colored nose on a white animal could occur as well. I'm still skeptical of the black hided coloration, I still think it occurred the same way that some of the traditionally red breeds turned black.
1 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:04 pm

Ky hills wrote:
Muddy wrote:

I have had a few calves born with a light reddish tint, from purebreds with bred up ancestry. All but a couple of those calves turned white within a month or so, the others remained that light red color. Have even had a couple born with a light colored red Hereford color pattern that turned all white too. A dark colored nose on a white animal could occur as well. I'm still skeptical of the black hided coloration, I still think it occurred the same way that some of the traditionally red breeds turned black.

In that article, it said that the breeder gathering the "Charolais" cattle with black nose and produced black hided calves from these black nosed Charolais.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:40 pm

Muddy wrote:
Ky hills wrote:
Muddy wrote:Maybe these black Charolais came from the bred-up Charolais cattle not full blooded french Charolais?

In that article, it said that the breeder gathering the "Charolais" cattle with black nose and produced black hided calves from these black nosed Charolais.

Yep. Makes sense. Good chance if they had a black nose they weren’t purebred Charolais to begin with.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:15 pm

I am just posting the article. I, like everyone else on here, have no idea! But I can say that when I was young we had a purebred Charolais Operation and we had several off color calves over the years. I just noticed that 20 years ago they said the DNA checked out.
0 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:51 am

I looked up Black Char Bulls for sale and found this. They are boasting about their Red and Black Chars. So I'm assuming their reds don't wash off after a few weeks lol.

0 x

cotton1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cotton1 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:40 pm

Its garbage. Supposedly "bred up" from the red factor Charolais common in Canada. Black hair scam.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”