Opinion on young bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

rdp58
Cowhand
Cowhand

Opinion on young bull

Postby rdp58 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:03 pm

[image]Image[/image]

I would like opinions on this bull. The sire is a registered Hereford and the dam is a registered Charolais. The bull is 4 and half months old and I would guess its 500 pounds. I'm hoping/thinking someone might want him as a herd bull or should I castrate him and sell him that way? Thanks for your input.
0 x

Redgully
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Opinion on young bull

Postby Redgully » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Nice flat muscle and good balanced animal. Maybe too straight in the back leg. Probably just the way he is standing and angle of photo though.
0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:31 pm

I’d cut him. Nobody around here I talk to runs crossbred bulls. Not really sure why you’d want one either
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:39 pm

He seems to have good growth, if you think his calving ease is acceptable and you're using him for yourself you might have good success with him.. don't think he's particularly marketable though.
I've had my best set of calves ever from a homeraised crossbred bull (Gelbvieh Shorthorn) and they fetched well above sale average last week.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:37 am

Nice calf.
I wouldn't have a problem with anyone using him for bull. But he'll make a better steer. A calf like that will keep up with the blacks in the ring and usually outdo them in the pasture. I would cut him and try to make more like him.
2 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:03 am

I agree. Nice looking calf, and I'd say it's too early to tell much at 4 months. Also, the only crossbred bulls I see around here are Balancers and Char/Angus cross. But, it's your calf you could keep him in tact if you want. He'd make a heck of a nice steer no doubt.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:01 am

Unlike Nesikeps' crossbred bulls which is made of red breeds, it's hard to sell a crossbreed bull especially with that color. But he will makes a nice steer.
1 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:53 am

Cut him.
1 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 am

Nice looking calf. When I was transitioning away from registered Charolais, I had some of what I thought were real nice calves by a Hereford bull. Never kept any heifers from that cross but often look back and wish that I had of. As far as a bull goes, like someone else already stated if he is from easy calving lines then it might be ok for a few cows, but the diluter coloring from the Charolais, and the white from the Hereford probably wouldn't make for uniform calves especially in a mixed herd. I like CharolaisX as well as anything for stocker calves.
2 x

rdp58
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rdp58 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:31 pm

I decided I will castrate him tomorrow. I put him in the corral today and weighed him, he weights 575 and was 5 months yesterday (16th).

I have 15 cows on one side of the road with a registered Hereford bull. On the other side of the road I have 14 cows and a registered Angus bull (son of Conley Black Granite) on the other side. I have 3 registered Charolais on the side with the Hereford. So far I have had all heifers, I am putting them across the road with the Angus and they all have been white faced calves. I thought someone might want to put this bull with some Angus cows.

Thanks for all the responses.
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Nothing screams bull when I look at him. A little longer, and deeper, would improve him.
But he does have a pretty good build for a steer, ought to feed out fine.
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Return to “Breeds Board”