God Bless America! SAV America 8018 to be exact.

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Re: God Bless America! SAV America 8018 to be exact.

Post by Gators Rule » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 pm

I have a business background, and it's where I have my degrees, so let me paint a business proposition for you. Let's assume you have 30 black heifers to sell, privately at that, and let's assume that you are going to be honest about things and possibly do a parentage test on them. Do you think that those heifers will be easier to sell if they were sired by SAV America or some no name bull with a ton of hidden issues in his pedigree? That's assuming anyone even knows his pedigree, or that it is accurate?

When I get my old Ford powerstroke fixed, I always ask, "are you putting on genuine Ford parts" or are you putting some cheap Chinese crap on here that will need to be replaced quickly" They tell me that I have an option of what I want, I go with the best, and my truck just keeps on trucking without any problems. I sold a bull to a Chevrolet mechanic and we discussed the same thing, and he told me that he only uses genuine parts in his garage, because the cheap imitations always disappoint. It's basic economics, you will get more for a heifer from a top sire than from a mystery bull. If making more money is important, than do what I recommend, if sales don't matter to you, and you are in this business for the fun of it, breed to whatever suits your fancy.
Where I have my degrees (I do have a few) really doesn't matter too much in the overall scheme of things, but you mentioning your background is sales really tells the tale. Most salesmen make commission on the frontend, and I think SAV should pay you a commission because of your line of thinking. Salesmen in the new car dealerships believe only the latest models to hit the showroom floor are the only models of any real value. Now, which models have the most problems..? The latest models to hit the showroom floor, of course, hence the recalls as the bugs are worked out of them.

Using your example of selling to the Chevy mechanic, what happens to those 30 heifers if your untried bull ends up falling on his 1.5 million dollar butt...or those heifers melt away because there isn't enough feed on the planet to sustain them, nor their babies?? What happens to your reputation as a producer? You gonna buy them all back because your hype didn't pan out?

I hope this bull becomes the next big thing, but until he does....he ain't. Next year's flavor may be even better.

I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:14 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:16 pm
Mr. Brookhill Angus, you may have purebred cattle but your posts remind me of a cross between the singing frog and Foghorn Leghorn that once graced the Bugs Bunny hour.
Call me whatever you please, but it ain’t bragging if you are actually doing it, and to think, I’m just getting warmed up.

If you consider me annoying now, wait till you see the calves I have coming this year, you will really be howling in a few months, and rest assured they will be dna parentage proven and I will post photos and AAA numbers for you to pick apart. Who does that? Tell me please? I will tell you, someone who is HIGHLY confident in what they produce, that’s who!

People can squawk about Kelly Schaff, but he woke up on Sunday a whole lot richer than most folks in the cattle business, and that’s what matters, because when you figure how hard it is to raise great cattle, you can bet your bottom dollar I’m not doing this for the fun of it. If that were the case I think I could be considered insane.

It’s a fact that you tend to be like those you hang around with or follow, I like to associate with people like Herbster and Schaff, they are winners, as for you, I haven’t heard of you, why would I follow your advise? You simply haven’t proven your abilities here, at least not to the point where you have sold the world record Angus bull. Start exposing your program, share lots of info with us, then things might change. Talk is cheap, results are the only thing that matters.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:21 pm

Gators Rule wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:11 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Using your example of selling to the Chevy mechanic, what happens to those 30 heifers if your untried bull ends up falling on his 1.5 million dollar butt...or those heifers melt away because there isn't enough feed on the planet to sustain them, nor their babies?? What happens to your reputation as a producer? You gonna buy them all back because your hype didn't pan out?

I hope this bull becomes the next big thing, but until he does....he ain't. Next year's flavor may be even better.
Do you think SAV just got into the cattle business? How much do they need to prove to you? The bulk of the commercial producers will buy a cheap bull, some not even semen tested, and keep their fingers crossed for success, you call that “proven”?

Buy unknown pedigrees at your own peril.

There is only one “proven” bull if that’s what you demand, and it’s Hoover Dam, but are you going to breed to him for eternity?

Tell me what’s highly proven on your operation, that you would guarantee to last for 10 plus years or you would refund the purchase price in full? I would venture to say nothing.

You have to take chances on new bulls, that’s the nature of the business unless you want to play it safe all the time.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:22 pm

Oh, well. I knew this was going to turn into a bar brawl. I just wasn't expecting it to get started by a chick. :cboy:
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:22 pm
Oh, well. I knew this was going to turn into a bar brawl. I just wasn't expecting it to get started by a chick. :cboy:
Guess you're not doing your job as forum mother, very well.
:D
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

Hunter
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Hunter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:28 pm

For the record, I don't A.I.
My question, will the calves out of SAV America 8018 be worth the price of semen over another big name bull whose semen sells for 25-40?
If you have 50 head that you A.I. all to SAV America that would cost $4,000.
If you A.I. all 50 head to one that costs $25 that would be all in at $1,250.

That means you need to sell all the calves at $55 more per head to break even.
I am not taking into account if the semen doesn't stick.

So, is it possible these calves bring $55 on average more per head than another good name bull?

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Here is a throwdown to all the SAV America non believers on this forum. Start a new thread with the title that includes the name of the best animal you own and information about that animal, including a pic. Then wait for comments. If you get 3000 plus views on your homegrown bull in two days like the SAV America thread garnered then you might have a winner, but if it falls flat on its face, then what you have is only important in your eyes, not the majority of the cattle business. Fair enough? Does this satisfy all you folks that think you have the next legend of the cattle business behind the barn?

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Hunter wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:28 pm
My question, will the calves out of SAV America 8018 be worth the price of semen over another big name bull whose semen sells for 25-40?

So, is it possible these calves bring $55 on average more per head than another good name bull?
North American will pack that semen at 40 million a straw, if not wasting your time behind that chute and getting them settled at a higher rate matters to you, then yes, it’s absolutely worth the price. Ask anyone that has used semen from Herbster Angus and they will tell you it’s very potent, don’t take my word for it.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:38 pm

Hunter wrote:

I am 100% AI and I stick with proven bulls. My clientele is looking for nice registered heifers and young bulls out if known Simmental Bulls, like Upgrade, Cowboy Cut, Grandmaster, etc.

Personally, I don't go after the expensive semen.
Diogenes.

Hunter
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Hunter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:33 pm
Hunter wrote:

North American will pack that semen at 40 million a straw, if not wasting your time behind that chute and getting them settled at a higher rate matters to you, then yes, it’s absolutely worth the price. Ask anyone that has used semen from Herbster Angus and they will tell you it’s very potent, don’t take my word for it.
Whether they get settled or not was not my question and I am assuming they all settle the first time.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:46 pm

You guys don’t understand the concept of scarcity, as well as supply and demand.

For example take a look at Bluegrass Stockyards report from last week. Compare the price of fancy black steers to fancy Holstein steers, the Holstein brought almost 65% less! It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to tell you that you have to sell a boatload more of them versus fancy black to make the same amount of money.

I’ve been offered a premium for my Harvestor and President daughters at weaning if I’m willing to sell them, I ASSURE you that has never occurred on any of my daughters sired by a Stone Gate bull, ever! Why, they aren’t scarce, they are easy to come by.

I can’t even believe I have to explain this concept.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Hunter wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:33 pm
Hunter wrote:

Whether they get settled or not was not my question and I am assuming they all settle the first time.
Brookhill is correct. Much of the privately collected bulls are more potent because of the way the straw is packed. For example, I got a cane of Shell Shocked on a recommendation from Fire Sweep. I used 4 straws and got 4 bred. Fire Sweep has had the same experience. As Brookhill said, they have more spermatozoa per straw.
Diogenes.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Any color of beef steer will sell better than any Holstein. It's a simple matter of COG, and Yield.

Hunter asked if the extra ~$2000 dollars spent on American would equate an extra ~$50 on calves, over using a cheaper Angus bull. SAV Pioneer sells for $25 on bull barn. So is $80 better than $25?
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Post by Bestoutwest » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:30 pm
Here is a throwdown to all the SAV America non believers on this forum. Start a new thread with the title that includes the name of the best animal you own and information about that animal, including a pic. Then wait for comments. If you get 3000 plus views on your homegrown bull in two days like the SAV America thread garnered then you might have a winner, but if it falls flat on its face, then what you have is only important in your eyes, not the majority of the cattle business. Fair enough? Does this satisfy all you folks that think you have the next legend of the cattle business behind the barn?
I don't think folks are here for the bull as much as they are for the bullshyte.
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Hunter
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Hunter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:55 pm

And I am not sure you are understanding what I am asking. If you take two big name ANGUS bulls, not two different breeds, can you make enough money on the calves to offset the price of semen.
I fully comprehend what you are doing and why but I also like to look into the numbers.
In the past I looked into A.I. but I couldn't get someone to come out and do it for me. I also don't want to take the time to learn.