God Bless America! SAV America 8018 to be exact.

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: God Bless America! SAV America 8018 to be exact.

Post by True Grit Farms » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Gators Rule wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:11 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 pm

I have a business background, and it's where I have my degrees, so let me paint a business proposition for you. Let's assume you have 30 black heifers to sell, privately at that, and let's assume that you are going to be honest about things and possibly do a parentage test on them. Do you think that those heifers will be easier to sell if they were sired by SAV America or some no name bull with a ton of hidden issues in his pedigree? That's assuming anyone even knows his pedigree, or that it is accurate?

When I get my old Ford powerstroke fixed, I always ask, "are you putting on genuine Ford parts" or are you putting some cheap Chinese crap on here that will need to be replaced quickly" They tell me that I have an option of what I want, I go with the best, and my truck just keeps on trucking without any problems. I sold a bull to a Chevrolet mechanic and we discussed the same thing, and he told me that he only uses genuine parts in his garage, because the cheap imitations always disappoint. It's basic economics, you will get more for a heifer from a top sire than from a mystery bull. If making more money is important, than do what I recommend, if sales don't matter to you, and you are in this business for the fun of it, breed to whatever suits your fancy.
Where I have my degrees (I do have a few) really doesn't matter too much in the overall scheme of things, but you mentioning your background is sales really tells the tale. Most salesmen make commission on the frontend, and I think SAV should pay you a commission because of your line of thinking. Salesmen in the new car dealerships believe only the latest models to hit the showroom floor are the only models of any real value. Now, which models have the most problems..? The latest models to hit the showroom floor, of course, hence the recalls as the bugs are worked out of them.

Using your example of selling to the Chevy mechanic, what happens to those 30 heifers if your untried bull ends up falling on his 1.5 million dollar butt...or those heifers melt away because there isn't enough feed on the planet to sustain them, nor their babies?? What happens to your reputation as a producer? You gonna buy them all back because your hype didn't pan out?

I hope this bull becomes the next big thing, but until he does....he ain't. Next year's flavor may be even better.
Next year's flavor has to be better. If not SAV screwed up their breeding decisions. How can you possibly promote and market next year's model if it's not better than this year's model? That's where the clown isn't understanding how the jack in the box works.

If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm

So High True Grit wants to tell SAV how to run their business, priceless.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:13 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm
Bullet-behind-the-ear culling is quite effective.
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:20 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:13 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bullet-behind-the-ear culling is quite effective.
So I've heard.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:22 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Just using common sense to state a fact. Very few folks care about yesterday's news, especially the bull of the month club. There's always a chance SAV will name next year's elite bull Nashville.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:28 pm

Hunter he does not understand at all. In a registered herd at a registered sale it might make a difference the first calf crop in those sales. That's if they pan out. Nobody knows right now what the calves out of that bull will look like or how they will perform. Most likely they will work. But there is know way of knowing till the first calves are weaned. If your headed to the sale barn with a set of commercial calves it not worth the extra money for the semen.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:33 pm

If those calves weaned off heavier they surely would be.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:23 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Ebenezer wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:33 pm
I'm pretty sure that when Conan of Wye was at his height of popularity that people said, "this is as good as it gets folks"
You keep mentioning this bull. Tell us about the daughters. And tell us why he became unpopular. Is he a true icon or a barn legend? How did he prove out?
Ebenezer, you miss the point, Conan worked for that time, Wye did very well off of him and life moved on. I won't go back and discuss the merits of a truck I owned in the 70's and how it compares to a new model, yes they were both made out of metal, but they are two entirely different things.

With all due respect, you are myopic on many issues, I've been in sales all my life, and was trained by some of the best, and from what I can tell you would be the salesman that would talk himself out of a sale every time, explaining in painful detail how one part of a widget, may or may not have been produced to your exacting standards, and hence you have your doubts on it's performance. I worked beside a guy once, and I would listen to him go on and on about the product he was trying to sell, going off on many different tangents until the potential buyer said "gotta go" He didn't last, he couldn't sell. Don't begrudge Kelly at SAV because he knows how to sell, that is a survival instinct in this world, and he has it down pat.

Even James Lingle would have told you to sh..t or get off the pot. He took chances, he made decisions without having every fact in front of him, and it worked out for Wye. You have paralysis by analysis.
Just as I thought - you use examples that you know more than in name and you use personal analysis of others as a defensive technique. Keep on sellin'. Where'd you get the quote from Lingle? Documentation? :cry:

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:47 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:30 pm
Here is a throwdown to all the SAV America non believers on this forum. Start a new thread with the title that includes the name of the best animal you own and information about that animal, including a pic. Then wait for comments. If you get 3000 plus views on your homegrown bull in two days like the SAV America thread garnered then you might have a winner, but if it falls flat on its face, then what you have is only important in your eyes, not the majority of the cattle business. Fair enough? Does this satisfy all you folks that think you have the next legend of the cattle business behind the barn?
:bang: :bang: :bang:

dbirdsong
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by dbirdsong » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:54 pm

Brookhill I think you’re spitting into the wind. Most people here are only marginally interested in improving the quality of their herd. It is strictly a cost benefits analysis for them. If they can sell two scrawny 400lb weaning calves and make a dollar more than selling one 800lb weaning calve then they don’t have any interest in improving weaning weights. Look at herds as you drive around the country. People aren’t interested in quality as much as they are interested in the bottom line. You must really enjoy tilting at windmills.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:05 pm

dbirdsong wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:54 pm
Brookhill I think you’re spitting into the wind. Most people here are only marginally interested in improving the quality of their herd. It is strictly a cost benefits analysis for them. If they can sell two scrawny 400lb weaning calves and make a dollar more than selling one 800lb weaning calve then they don’t have any interest in improving weaning weights. Look at herds as you drive around the country. People aren’t interested in quality as much as they are interested in the bottom line. You must really enjoy tilting at windmills.
I think that couldn't be further from the truth. In fact I think there are plenty of producers on here that produce fine calves from great mothers. To the point that some get deeply offended by the inference that their cattle are inferior and Brookhill and or SAV will be the savior.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:13 pm

dbirdsong wrote:
Good insight. I think Brookhill needs to throttle down. I have offered that advice to him privately.

How someone wants to run their cattle operation is their business.

One of the flaws of being human is being driven by the passion to make everyone else into a protege of ourselves. It is a quest for validation of ourselves. If you share my values, hence, my values must be right.

Maybe because I am by nature a very independent person, I don't need anyone else's confirmation. Live and do as you see fit and let everyone else, live and do as they see fit.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:34 pm

Silver wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:05 pm
dbirdsong wrote:
I think that couldn't be further from the truth. In fact I think there are plenty of producers on here that produce fine calves from great mothers. To the point that some get deeply offended by the inference that their cattle are inferior and Brookhill and or SAV will be the savior.
I believe my cattle could definitely benefit from using some SAV genetics....good cattle.. Not a million $ good but good.. :cowboy:
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Chocolate Cow2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Guess I might as well add to this. There are now claims that the bull is valued at $2.1 million. They're figuring in the 20% SAV is retaining? So, whatever--$1.5 million is so yesterday.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:13 pm
dbirdsong wrote:
Good insight. I think Brookhill needs to throttle down. I have offered that advice to him privately.

How someone wants to run their cattle operation is their business.

One of the flaws of being human is being driven by the passion to make everyone else into a protege of ourselves. It is a quest for validation of ourselves. If you share my values, hence, my values must be right.

Maybe because I am by nature a very independent person, I don't need anyone else's confirmation. Live and do as you see fit and let everyone else, live and do as they see fit.
Nothing wrong with a good spirited discussion. Makes my morning cuppa all the more enjoyable.