Angus bull thoughts.

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Silver
GURU
GURU

Re: Angus bull thoughts.

Post by Silver » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:23 pm

76 Bar wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:07 pm
Impressive :tiphat: Ireland actually. His daddy hasn't walked the earth for 50 years. I thought it was interesting and thought provoking.
Well durn it I missed his origins by a few miles. :lol2:
Sad state of affairs when motion and commotion is h*ll bent to bastardize the original goodness of each respective breed thinking they're gonna reinvent the wheel. Forgone conclusion any reds he might have produced weren't classified as defective. :roll:
No, looks like you were right and I was wrong! Scotland was the right answer. And ya, that was kind of the point of posting this picture. 50 years later with all the promotion commotion and emotion has the breed actually improved? Is it going in the right direction?

Edit: Only in the good ole USA do the angus folks consider black a different breed from red.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:29 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:18 pm
Silver wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:08 am
What's the problem with the white?
And yes, would be nice to see the scrotum, wish I could find a better picture.
nothing wrong with the white, with what you'd be doing especially ..where he's from probably be consistent too..
As I understand it that white is not in a spot that would preclude him from registration.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:39 pm

I’m very surprised by the comments here.

People I speak with have growth concerns about Angus, and that is why they cross with other breeds.

My hunch on this bull is that if he was genomic tested with Angus Source, that his EPD profile would show very high $EN and DMI, his Marb might be at breed average or below, and all the traits that would make really nice steers $B, RADG, WW, would be bottom 90%

As for efficiency on grass he would definitely be low input.

He is aesthetically pleasing to look at, but the crowd on CT would be throwing him under the bus once they saw the performance of his progeny. Especially average daily gain.

Just my opinion, I could be dead wrong, would like to see his AAA or corresponding association number in Scotland to see how close my assessment is.

Hoover Dam would run circles around this bull in overall performance and accuracy.

With that said, the old lines are fun to explore.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:54 pm

Time will tell. You may be right. He lives in Montana and has semen available if you want to try " going against the crowd" which you claim to be quite fond of.

jehosofat
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jehosofat » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:08 pm

Pretty durn nice, if you ask me. Probably won't pass KY scrutiny though.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Well since the other thread been locked.. here's a Angus bull that can be bought for 2500 or less. little older for some maybe .if he were here,I'd surely be interested. https://cattlerange.com/listings/bantaj ... entral-tx/
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:42 pm

I guess no one notice the twisted scrotum, and uneven testicles in the second pic.

Off to the feedlot with you!
“The dream is ended- this is the morning.”

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:36 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:38 pm
Well since the other thread been locked.. here's a Angus bull that can be bought for 2500 or less. little older for some maybe .if he were here,I'd surely be interested. https://cattlerange.com/listings/bantaj ... entral-tx/
He’s a dandy.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:52 pm

Silver wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:54 pm
Time will tell. You may be right. He lives in Montana and has semen available if you want to try " going against the crowd" which you claim to be quite fond of.
I totally agree with you, but if I crossed him with mine I would basically be emphasizing $EN and DMI even further than I already have it. Again, I’m assuming, I haven’t seen his registration.

I like the bull, don’t get me wrong, and I DO like going against the grain, but I’m betting he is not strong on the traits I’m trying to develop.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:52 pm
Silver wrote:
I totally agree with you, but if I crossed him with mine I would basically be emphasizing $EN and DMI even further than I already have it. Again, I’m assuming, I haven’t seen his registration.

I like the bull, don’t get me wrong, and I DO like going against the grain, but I’m betting he is not strong on the traits I’m trying to develop.
Brookhill; do you always chase the numbers? I prefer phenotype over numbers, I kind of compare raising cattle to lifting weights; I don't care to bench 300lbs, but I want to look like I can....I want my cattle to look like they the numbers are amazing, but I'm not all that concerned if their epds are rock solid. We can always mess with the numbers, I have one that has a horrible ww of 29, plugged Acclaim in her and wa'la, now I have progeny that is respectable on paper, but possibly a disaster in all reality. I ask this with sincerity, are you customers concerned about numbers or phenotype? After reading a lot of your posts it appears your neighbors are about as savvy as mine and they have no idea what $B, $EN or even YH is and they can barely make out WW.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

Midtenn
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Midtenn » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:07 pm

That white we're seeing in the photo I think may be blades of grass out of focus in the forefront? Not positive.
I like the looks of that bull ALOT., but where's his nutz? I also would be willing to bet high positive $EN and low ww, low $B. I bet he's not a great bull for making steers to sale, but if you wanted a herd builder to produce trouble free cows I bet he'd be a dandy.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:15 pm

CreekAngus wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:59 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:
Silver wrote:

Brookhill; do you always chase the numbers? I prefer phenotype over numbers, I kind of compare raising cattle to lifting weights; I don't care to bench 300lbs, but I want to look like I can....I want my cattle to look like they the numbers are amazing, but I'm not all that concerned if their epds are rock solid. We can always mess with the numbers, I have one that has a horrible ww of 29, plugged Acclaim in her and wa'la, now I have progeny that is respectable on paper, but possibly a disaster in all reality. I ask this with sincerity, are you customers concerned about numbers or phenotype? After reading a lot of your posts it appears your neighbors are about as savvy as mine and they have no idea what $B, $EN or even YH is and they can barely make out WW.
Do you remembers those guys that could bench 300 pnds..but didn't look like they could?? :cowboy:
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:19 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Silver wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to just breed Simmental rather than chase them?

Mossy Dell
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Mossy Dell » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:02 pm

Well. He is nice to look at . . . But I'd look right quick at his heifer pregnancy and maternal calving ease EPDs. I have been really disappointed in how many Angus, even reds, don't line up there. Maybe hp does not matter so much if you are crossbreeding. I don't know. But I want to stack traits of economic relevance. And nothing is more important than reproduction. If you ever have a heifer fail to breed or cows with rough births you will agree.

Most Angus bulls, old historic lines notably included, do not impress me regarding their numbers. And I do take numbers very seriously. Sure they are not perfect. But they are 10,000 times more powerful than any other selection method at separating nature and nurture.

Appearance is highly heritable compared to most other economically important traits. Those who focus on appearance get it. To really be in the breeding game, you need good conformation and good numbers.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:32 pm

I can't bench anything, but (when my tendinitis isn't flaring up), I can do darned good on an arm wrestle... Might not be able to bench, but I can throw bales, carry uncooperative, slimy calves, etc
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens