What I've been breeding towards

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: What I've been breeding towards

Post by ALACOWMAN » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:03 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:56 pm
He looks terrific though.
I seen him in a dry paddock..he looks just as good or better in person ..I got pictures saved on a old digital camera of it..

as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:05 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:03 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
I seen him in a dry paddock..he looks just as good or better in person ..I got pictures saved on a old digital camera of it..
That’s a good looking bull for a black one.
I run sale-barn cattle.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:17 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
I like him a lot. The picture just got me to thinking about some of those old fights we used to have.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:21 pm

That is not true. That cow produced an asset, a revenue generating asset. Your net worth went up by retaining that heifer. That is not nothing.

If you will do an actual balance sheet you can see that it's not all about cash flow. It's like reinvesting the dividends from your stocks to buy more stock.
Well, if ranching's so hard, why do we do it?
Because its one be nice of a life, Tate. One be nice of a life.
- John Dutton

I would rather cut off my right arm, than live under tyranny!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:24 pm

... and you increased that net worth tax free! That pencils put for me ALL DAY LONG. :tiphat:
- John Dutton

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:33 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:21 pm
That is not true. That cow produced an asset, a revenue generating asset. Your net worth went up by retaining that heifer. That is not nothing.

If you will do an actual balance sheet you can see that it's not all about cash flow. It's like reinvesting the dividends from your stocks to buy more stock.
The only person your fooling is yourself.
Brute the retained heifer has no value unless sold. She is not a revenue generating asset for two years . She is a liability until she produces a live calf to sell. Of course they all have 100% live salable calves. Now if she craps out. Now if you cull her she is a profit to be taxed. You have more assets not more net worth unless your bank account increases. Neither are generating income for two years that’s a liability. Your business model using Wall Street is buy high sell low.
You can add a 100 cows if they are not producing that’s a a liability not an asset till sold. That’s money outflows not in.
I run sale-barn cattle.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:48 pm

No sir, that is not true.

I pled my case. Every one reading along can decide for themselves how they want to do it in their operation. Good day. :tiphat:
- John Dutton

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:59 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:48 pm

I pled my case. Every one reading along can decide for themselves how they want to do it in their operation. Good day. :tiphat:
Brute if they were a generating asset the IRS would be taxing them not letting you write off the liability.
Again they are only an asset when sold.
Have a nice evening.
I run sale-barn cattle.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:51 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:59 pm
Brute 23 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:48 pm

Brute if they were a generating asset the IRS would be taxing them not letting you write off the liability.
Again they are only an asset when sold.
Have a nice evening.
Assets aren't taxed, income is
So that retained heifer is gaining in value as she becomes a cow (hopefully)

The only way you're getting ahead is if you sell heifer calves to buy bred heifers, but you're probably going to have to put additional money in the pot to get them
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:35 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
If I had built cattle like that heifer I would not care one iota about whether she was a better tax write off or not. Those kind make money not tax dodges.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:52 am

Got to keep the goal thing in mind. Otherwise all the options are good ones.

Are you trying to develop pretty front pasture cattle, or trying generate ordinary income this year, or trying to generate longer term wealth?
Stocker Steve

BFE
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by BFE » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:12 am

No matter if you buy or retain it’s not a cheap proposition. I’ve bought and bought and still will if the right situation pops up as it did for me this summer on three nice heifers that’s were raised under similar management as mine. We'll see how they turn out but I’m obviously betting on them. The key for me is knowing how they were developed. I know how my retainers are developed. I don’t need feed bucket queens on my place so I’m wary of buying just anything. I’ve lived through that train wreck before and ain’t climbing back on another.

BFE
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by BFE » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:26 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:51 am
Brute 23 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:54 pm
People can talk all day about it being cheaper to buy them but there is nothing like the feeling of making your replacement cows and getting them how you want them. Once you get in a rhythm where you know you have x amount coming in and x amount going out it's a good feeling. Not having to hunt up cattle or worry about where your going to get screwed next is worth every penny.
On this we will agree to disagree grasshopper.

I can’t raise them like this for 1200 bucks.
What would you breed those to cb?

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:20 am

BFE wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:12 am
No matter if you buy or retain it’s not a cheap proposition. I’ve bought and bought and still will if the right situation pops up as it did for me this summer on three nice heifers that’s were raised under similar management as mine. We'll see how they turn out but I’m obviously betting on them. The key for me is knowing how they were developed. I know how my retainers are developed. I don’t need feed bucket queens on my place so I’m wary of buying just anything. I’ve lived through that train wreck before and ain’t climbing back on another.
That is my same mentality.

These guys advertising dont cull thru those cattle. When you develope them at home you can see which ones are not up to snuff over time.

I guarantee you when you get that set from J&J to the house there are going to be a couple great ones, a lot of decent ones, some that are going to flat fall apart, and one or two that will need to be culled for temperament. If you turn them fast enough your salvage price won't be far from what you paid.

I will give J&J credit in that they usually will cut out what you want, 1 or 100, not like some of the others who do gate cut or it's a all or nothing deal.

Most of the cattle I have bought that turned out were from people I know, know how they operate, know how they were raised, etc. We generally trade around together as people gain places, lose places, need cash, etc.
- John Dutton

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:00 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:20 am
BFE wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:12 am
That is my same mentality.

These guys advertising dont cull thru those cattle. When you develope them at home you can see which ones are not up to snuff over time.

I guarantee you when you get that set from J&J to the house there are going to be a couple great ones, a lot of decent ones, some that are going to flat fall apart, and one or two that will need to be culled for temperament. If you turn them fast enough your salvage price won't be far from what you paid.

I will give J&J credit in that they usually will cut out what you want, 1 or 100, not like some of the others who do gate cut or it's a all or nothing deal.

Most of the cattle I have bought that turned out were from people I know, know how they operate, know how they were raised, etc. We generally trade around together as people gain places, lose places, need cash, etc.
Brute you come across as being really jealous and envious of their operation.
We are all cow peddlers.
It’s no different in if I pull up to your place or the sale barn it’s buyer beware. The salebarn is not an evil place either,it’s our lifeblood, it is just not a place for rookies. If they are so terrible their operation will quit growing.
You like retaining heifers that’s fine and dandy it is not the only solution in the cattle business. They are no where close to being free either. It makes no sense to retain in a commercial crossbred operation other than genetic improvement.
Maybe you have been burned and burnt child is scared of fire, I understand.
I understand both philosophies and not stuck on it’s just my way.
When I ran a registered herd I routinely retained.
I run sale-barn cattle.