Idaman

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Ned Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Idaman

Post by Ned Jr. » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:03 pm

That would have been something to see Jack and Uncle Stan lock horns back then. They were both tougher than nails.

I heard a good one about Jack elk hunting one time. I can't guarantee it to be true but I heard Jack and Bud got into some elk and Jack got so excited he racked all his shells out of his rifle without firing a shot. Then he turned to Bud and said "I think I hit him". Bud said "I don't think so" and pointed to all the shells on the ground. :D

If attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler

Idaman
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Idaman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:31 am

One time Jack and several others from the valley including Harvey R and I were hunting over near the highway that goes between Saguache and Gunnison. There had been a heavy earky snow and the elk were really bunched up. This was on the old Agency Ranch which was managed at that time by a Johnny H who was a brother-in- law to Bud.

A large herd of elk had congregated there on a high mesa. There were about 200 in the bunch. The snow was about 3 feet deep in the timber and about a foot on the open mesa. Johnny H. asked us to line up on our horses at edge of the timber and when he gave the yell ride out yelling and panic and surround the elk. We did as told but early in the charge toward the elk Jack got so exicted that he jumped off of his horse, hit the ground running and then hopped back on without the horse ever having to break stride. There were 11 of us in the charge and we ended up killing 11 bulls.
My Indian name is Yes Dear

Ned Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Ned Jr. » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:39 am

Just so you don't start getting home sick, here's a picture from this morning. I'd say we've got 6-8 in. so far. hard to tell with all the wind.

Northern Rancher
GURU
GURU

Post by Northern Rancher » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:03 am

I imagine it was close to 80 yesterday about 1200 miles north of you!!!

MistyMorning
GURU
GURU

Post by MistyMorning » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:13 am

Sure hope you are printing or saving all these stories, could make a great book......
I have long known it was part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth... ~ Bill Bryson

BC
GURU
GURU

Post by BC » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:31 pm

I am not a Hereford breeder, but have found this thread to be most interesting. The history of some of these bloodlines is priceless and the stories about the breeders who developed or used these cattle.

WichitaLineMan
Rancher
Rancher

Post by WichitaLineMan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:29 pm

Looks like 'ol 175 is wishing he was still in California!
The Wichita Lineman is still online

Ned Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Ned Jr. » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:36 pm

WichitaLineMan wrote:Looks like 'ol 175 is wishing he was still in California!

That's actually 320, 175 is still at the bull stud and probably has it made right now. :D

WichitaLineMan
Rancher
Rancher

Post by WichitaLineMan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:38 pm

LOL. That's what I get for guessing! I had a zinger of a reply, but this is a family site.
The Wichita Lineman is still online

Idaman
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Idaman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:09 pm

WichitaLineMan wrote:LOL. That's what I get for guessing! I had a zinger of a reply, but this is a family site.

Well this cousin is back to CT from going to town and buying a new computer after my old one got infected with scareware.

Ned Jr - I sure don't miss those late snows. They are a cow killer in the other end of the valley. Oak poisoning ain't no fun. I consider myself lucky to only loose 10 cows in one day. The snow and wind drives the old bossies into the scrub oak and then if you can't get feed to them they the eat the young leaves and buds on the oaks and die in about a week from tannic acid poisoning. Actually I hated the unseasonal heavy snow storms there more that anything. One on the twentieth of August , our earliest, one laid all our hay down. Not too bad with a swather or rotary but pure be nice with a horse mower. Not all technology is bad. Another on the tenth of June, our latest, killed those cows.

Like what the old Irishman said when he was asked how long he had been in Fairplay, his reply was " Aye eighteen months part of one winter".

I like the looks of that bull but would probably more without the snow on him.
Last edited by Idaman on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Idaman
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Idaman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:37 am

1914-Hereford - Asked me a question and my new computer wiped out both his and my posts so here goes.

Trails End was sold by the Parkers probably in the 80s. It was right after Jim moved to Oklahoma and your dad moved to Coldwater. It still belongs to the man that bought it back then and is managed by a friend of mine, one of the Canterberrys. They have added some to it and also sold some for subdivision.

It was purchased in 1875 by my great-grandfather when he first arrived from Herefordshire via Canada. He purchased it from a man named Gibbs who Gibbs peak was named for. Their name was Balman. In the 30s they sold it to an insurance company out of Denver. Later they sold it to Bill White who named it Trails End. He was the one that had the purbred cattle and built all the buildings for his showstring. His main bloodline were the Alpine Dominos and they were dwarfey as they come, as we had quite a few.
At that time it was managed by Clarence Thomas, who I am sure Jane will rememberring great stories about from Franklin. Clarence was quite a character. His son is Ted Thomas who I am sure Jane would know. He now lives in Canon City as his mother lives in an independent livving facility that Connies' mother lives in. His second wife was originally a Squires and her daughter is a nurse here in Boise.

Idaman
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Idaman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Branding 2010.

Idaman
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Idaman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:21 pm

I guess this qualifies for the breeds thread as there are several breeds shown.

Idaman
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Idaman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Black Mtn. summer range from the front yard.

Ned Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Ned Jr. » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:19 pm

Nice looking country. The Hereford calf in the middle photo sure looks good, looks like it's outgrowing the rest.

I hope you haven't ran out of stories to tell. :D