Stand Your Ground

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Stand Your Ground

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:51 am

1 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Stand Your Ground

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:26 pm

The convicted felon won't be shoplifting any more. Are you supposed to let someone hit you in the head with a hatchet that they tried to steal from you? That's the way you stop a habitual criminal from committing anymore crimes.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Too bad some thief decided that his life was only worth a $15 hatchet. Makes me wonder if it had been $150,000 diamond bracelet would have been any different for you, Best?
3 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:55 pm

In a similar discussion, I've had people ask me if my TV was worth someone else's life. They're asking the wrong person....need to be asking the person that wants to steal it.
Life, is as cheap as any particular thief wants to make it. Today, a $15 hatchet. Tomorrow, a $150 worth of copper wire, next week a $1,500 cow and then the $150K diamond bracelet Slick mentioned.
I have no sympathy for the thief, tho I do for his family.
Now, what Fla law ultimately says about it in the courtroom is yet to be determined.
4 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:15 pm

greybeard wrote:In a similar discussion, I've had people ask me if my TV was worth someone else's life. They're asking the wrong person....need to be asking the person that wants to steal it.
Life, is as cheap as any particular thief wants to make it. Today, a $15 hatchet. Tomorrow, a $150 worth of copper wire, next week a $1,500 cow and then the $150K diamond bracelet Slick mentioned.
Now, what Fla law ultimately says about it in the courtroom is yet to be determined.

Sure doesn't seem like it's a crime worth killing someone over, but then again I wasn't there and it wasn't my hatchet.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:24 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
greybeard wrote:In a similar discussion, I've had people ask me if my TV was worth someone else's life. They're asking the wrong person....need to be asking the person that wants to steal it.

Sure doesn't seem like it's a crime worth killing someone over, but then again I wasn't there and it wasn't my hatchet.

At what monetary value IS it worth killing over?

Some would say none.
I say, in for a pence, in for a pound.
4 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:30 pm

slick4591 wrote:Too bad some thief decided that his life was only worth a $15 hatchet. Makes me wonder if it had been $150,000 diamond bracelet would have been any different for you, Best?

As a former law enforcement agent, I'm surprised by your remark. The individual was clearly not in a threatening manner while being shot. He was trying to flee. Had it happened during a fight or the person was coming at him, that would be different.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:32 pm

If you are gonna steal from me once, you will steal from me again. The fact that it wasn't an armful of food because he was hungry, but something that could be used to threaten or harm someone else, I cannot fault the Fla commissioner from shooting. I feel for the family also, but not for the thief. He could have easily taken that hatchet and swung at the store owner.... "fear for his life" sounds pretty right to me.
2 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:32 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:The convicted felon won't be shoplifting any more. Are you supposed to let someone hit you in the head with a hatchet that they tried to steal from you? That's the way you stop a habitual criminal from committing anymore crimes.

Where do you read that he was struck? I can find that he had it down his pants. That's clearly not a person threatening someone's life.
0 x

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kentuckyguy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Just another perfect example of don’t break the law and you won’t have to worry about being shot.

So many these days sympathize with criminals because of how they are treated while breaking the law.

Where I live if I chose to steal from someone I would know that there was a very good chance I would be shot at. It’s that simple.

What about the law abiding citizens rights. A man trying to run a small store wouldn’t be in business very long if he allowed everyone who decided to steal from him just walk out the door.
5 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:28 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:Just another perfect example of don’t break the law and you won’t have to worry about being shot.

So many these days sympathize with criminals because of how they are treated while breaking the law.

Where I live if I chose to steal from someone I would know that there was a very good chance I would be shot at. It’s that simple.

What about the law abiding citizens rights. A man trying to run a small store wouldn’t be in business very long if he allowed everyone who decided to steal from him just walk out the door.

So it's Ok to shoot first and ask questions later if you perceive someone is stealing from you?
http://articles.latimes.com/1991-03-19/ ... _dead-girl
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:39 pm

If you wanna stuff a hatchet in your pants, you pay at the register..... seems simple enough.

What was he gonna do with the hatchet anyways. He certainly didn't need it for work.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Personally, I would not take another human being's life for stealing. It does not matter to me whether I have the legal right or not. That is a value that belongs to me. In fact, in actual practice, I don't believe 75 % of the citizens of this nation would snuff out another human life for thief.

Based on the link (not conclusive), it has all the indications that the 50 year old homeless man was stealing. Based on the link, nothing suggests he was a threat.

It will be very interesting to see the conclusions of those doing a thorough investigation.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:00 pm

A guy today in Bonifay was beat up while cutting wood in his yard , they stole his wallet , money and chainsaw. When more of these looters are shot maybe they will stop stealing.
3 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
slick4591 wrote:Too bad some thief decided that his life was only worth a $15 hatchet. Makes me wonder if it had been $150,000 diamond bracelet would have been any different for you, Best?

As a former law enforcement agent, I'm surprised by your remark. The individual was clearly not in a threatening manner while being shot. He was trying to flee. Had it happened during a fight or the person was coming at him, that would be different.

My former job was just that... a job. My oath didn't state that I had to change my personal views in life, just stated that I had to uphold the Constitution, laws of the United States and the laws of Texas to the best of my ability. When I retired no one excused me from that oath, so I still take it seriously. But, the question I asked wasn't about me. It was about you and your line. Apparently, you think it's okay for anyone to to steal and escape without consequences, or do you have a line?
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Return to “Coffee Shop”