Bed and Breakfast

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2032
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY
Has thanked: 310 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Bed and Breakfast

Post by Ky hills » Thu May 16, 2019 9:38 am

If memory serves me correctly someone on this forum asked about bed and breakfasts. My response at the time was that I knew someone that ran one and did ok with it from what I could tell. Yesterday my wife and I met with him to discuss this topic as a possibility for us. We are in a different county than he is, but still we are positioned within 25 miles of Lexington and 35 miles from the Red River Gorge area.
We are thinking that with the push that we are seeing for building agritourism in the area that we might have an option that would be better than flat out renting out a house literally in our front yard. I believe that we would have very little infrastructure changes and could leave a good portion of the existing furniture. For me liability and insurance would be one of the major concerns.
Does anyone on this board do this? Has anyone stayed at a bed and breakfast?



User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9947
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 592 times
Been thanked: 588 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by Bright Raven » Thu May 16, 2019 9:40 am

Ky hills wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:38 am
If memory serves me correctly someone on this forum asked about bed and breakfasts. My response at the time was that I knew someone that ran one and did ok with it from what I could tell. Yesterday my wife and I met with him to discuss this topic as a possibility for us. We are in a different county than he is, but still we are positioned within 25 miles of Lexington and 35 miles from the Red River Gorge area.
We are thinking that with the push that we are seeing for building agritourism in the area that we might have an option that would be better than flat out renting out a house literally in our front yard. I believe that we would have very little infrastructure changes and could leave a good portion of the existing furniture. For me liability and insurance would be one of the major concerns.
Does anyone on this board do this? Has anyone stayed at a bed and breakfast?
Yes. I have used Bed and Breakfast Lodging and have never had a bad experience. You are in a fantastic location. If you open one, I will promise a visit.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

jehosofat
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 737
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:25 pm
Location: Alabama
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by jehosofat » Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 am

Hook2.0 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:40 am
We were going to do one here at the new places, but I can’t stand the idea of certain segments of society being in my house. Screw that
What segment would that be? :lol:

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3251
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 424 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by bball » Thu May 16, 2019 10:29 am

I have stayed in a few bed and breakfasts in my travels. Never a bad experience. Always good eats. Quality beds are a must.
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 18688
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 477 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by greybeard » Thu May 16, 2019 10:48 am

I think a CT member named millstreaminn does this.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 569 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu May 16, 2019 11:43 am

We stay in a B&B as much as possible when traveling. We'll also travel an hour or more out of the way just to spend the night in a B&B.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 569 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Hook2.0 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:06 pm
jehosofat wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 am
Hook2.0 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:40 am
We were going to do one here at the new places, but I can’t stand the idea of certain segments of society being in my house. Screw that
What segment would that be? :lol:
you trying to get me banned again?? :cowboy:

Renting your lake house to a tribe of porch monkey's will destroy your lake house. They even disputed the credit card deposit that was through a rental company and we lost that also. Never again, but I said that last time with rentals in Florida. I need my head examined and :deadhorse: .
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13762
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 700 times
Been thanked: 612 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu May 16, 2019 1:07 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 pm
Hook2.0 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:06 pm
jehosofat wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 am


What segment would that be? :lol:
you trying to get me banned again?? :cowboy:

Renting your lake house to a tribe of porch monkey's will destroy your lake house. They even disputed the credit card deposit that was through a rental company and we lost that also. Never again, but I said that last time with rentals in Florida. I need my head examined and :deadhorse: .
Did you market through AirBNB or do it yourself?
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

User avatar
shaz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1520
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: Middle Tn
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by shaz » Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Stayed at the Sully Mansion (joke) in New Orleans a few weeks ago. Decent place but the breakfast was a joke and it was over priced.

I've stayed in several across Britain, Scotland and Ireland and they were really good.
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 569 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu May 16, 2019 1:39 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:07 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 pm
Hook2.0 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:06 pm
you trying to get me banned again?? :cowboy:

Renting your lake house to a tribe of porch monkey's will destroy your lake house. They even disputed the credit card deposit that was through a rental company and we lost that also. Never again, but I said that last time with rentals in Florida. I need my head examined and :deadhorse: .
Did you market through AirBNB or do it yourself?
Premier.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13762
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 700 times
Been thanked: 612 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu May 16, 2019 2:40 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:39 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:07 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 pm



Renting your lake house to a tribe of porch monkey's will destroy your lake house. They even disputed the credit card deposit that was through a rental company and we lost that also. Never again, but I said that last time with rentals in Florida. I need my head examined and :deadhorse: .
Did you market through AirBNB or do it yourself?
Premier.
They don't insure you against losses from damage like that?
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

User avatar
Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:38 pm
Location: Arizona
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by Hippie Rancher » Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 pm

neighbors did it when the matriarch was alive - she was a real go-getter and promoter of beef/western livestock business etc. she would give the city folks a great education. LOL

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 262 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by sstterry » Thu May 16, 2019 4:18 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:40 am
Ky hills wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:38 am
If memory serves me correctly someone on this forum asked about bed and breakfasts. My response at the time was that I knew someone that ran one and did ok with it from what I could tell. Yesterday my wife and I met with him to discuss this topic as a possibility for us. We are in a different county than he is, but still we are positioned within 25 miles of Lexington and 35 miles from the Red River Gorge area.
We are thinking that with the push that we are seeing for building agritourism in the area that we might have an option that would be better than flat out renting out a house literally in our front yard. I believe that we would have very little infrastructure changes and could leave a good portion of the existing furniture. For me liability and insurance would be one of the major concerns.
Does anyone on this board do this? Has anyone stayed at a bed and breakfast?
Yes. I have used Bed and Breakfast Lodging and have never had a bad experience. You are in a fantastic location. If you open one, I will promise a visit.
But who will pet your cows while you are gone :lol:

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 569 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu May 16, 2019 6:06 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:40 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:39 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:07 pm


Did you market through AirBNB or do it yourself?
Premier.
They don't insure you against losses from damage like that?
Nope, our rider on the home owners insurance paid for most of the damage. Besides being scammed and violated by a tribe of porch monkey's it wasn't a big deal. I do feel Premier was responsible for the deducible, but it wasn't worth hiring a lawyer.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5321
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Bed and Breakfast

Post by ga.prime » Thu May 16, 2019 6:28 pm

What about yard monkeys, the ones too dumb to sit on the porch? Reckon they'd be any better?
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Post Reply