17% of Bahamians are now homeless

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: 17% of Bahamians are now homeless

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:24 pm

Looks like they built basic frame constructions. Does this make any sense?

Stocker Steve

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:36 pm

It's probably wrong of me (so don't jump down my throat). I distinguish between someone that was born and raised in a disaster prone area, and someone that moved there. Home is home. You fight it out for your home. You move to a disaster prone area, to enjoy 360 days of beautiful weather, you need to accept the consequences of what the other 5 days will do.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:36 pm
It's probably wrong of me (so don't jump down my throat). I distinguish between someone that was born and raised in a disaster prone area, and someone that moved there. Home is home. You fight it out for your home. You move to a disaster prone area, to enjoy 360 days of beautiful weather, you need to accept the consequences of what the other 5 days will do.
I agree with your thoughts. I do feel for them, and do believe that we should and will do some kind of helping. But, I don't think we need to take all them in. We have enough to do here, to not try to take them in, but humanitarian aid and help for them there is not a bad thing. At least for the most part they are not trying to invade our country like the illegals that keep crossing our borders. If we can keep giving to all these just coming here, we can help those there who want to rebuild and to stay there in their oun country.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:00 pm

I should probably add, I am a unique creature. In 2006, an f3-4 tornado that was two miles wide crossed my place from one side to the other. I lost everything, there wasn't even a fence left standing. Every building was gone, and all of my equipment was destroyed. My home was destroyed, as well as all of my personal belongings. Glad I had insurance, but insurance won't touch a loss like that. Then you get in to your time rebuilding. If memory serves, 95 "homes" were destroyed in that storm. There was 2 of the 95, that didn't qualify for assistance. Myself and another gentleman. I don't even remember the parameters for getting help, I just know the help wasn't for me. The other gentleman lawyered up and eventually got help. I personally would not have accepted the help if it was offered. If I had been elderly at the time, I would have probably felt differently about the help. I am actually still rebuilding, just waiting on the ticks and snakes to go away with a couple of freezes.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Gators Rule » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:34 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:36 pm
Very true. Should build the building for the 5 days, not the 360 days.
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:24 pm

A tornado can easily have 150-175+ mph wind but it's is usually over within minutes and there's not much water action..
There's not very many buildings that can withstand that much wind for that extended period of time that a normal hurricane hangs around for.
They do have building standards that will take winds up to 150mph, but most will not for 48 hrs continuous like was seen on some of the Bahama Islands.

All it really takes, is for a few builds near the waterline to fail. Those buildings or their debris, is hurled against the next building up the beach by the waves and wind, and that hammering tears the next row down, and the debris wall just continues to build up being hurled violently inland against everything it encounters until it becomes too massive for the waves to move. I've seen it's effects firsthand and the final debris pile where it stopped, with anything beyond the pile still in pretty good shape. It's the mass of the debris that tears down even strong buildings. It's like a big sledge hammer over and over and over and over.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.