Another money saver

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
shaz
GURU
GURU

Re: Another money saver

Post by shaz » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Shorts are a city boy thing. When you live in the city you know you wont have to chase a calf through brush sometime later than day.

"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:06 pm

greybeard wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:01 pm
I do own a pair of shorts. Haven't worn them in many years, never wore them beyond my front porch or where anyone other than wife could see me and they probably no longer fit...somewhere in the bottom of a drawer I think...
One would think she would go farther than just hiding them in a drawer....🤭
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:07 pm

1982vett wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:06 pm
greybeard wrote:
I do own a pair of shorts. Haven't worn them in many years, never wore them beyond my front porch or where anyone other than wife could see me and they probably no longer fit...somewhere in the bottom of a drawer I think.
One would think she would go farther than just hiding them in a drawer....🤭 ... especially if their is a chance they fit....😅
Last edited by 1982vett on Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:09 pm

1982vett wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:06 pm
greybeard wrote:
I do own a pair of shorts. Haven't worn them in many years, never wore them beyond my front porch or where anyone other than wife could see me and they probably no longer fit...somewhere in the bottom of a drawer I think...
One would think she would go farther than just hiding them in a drawer....🤭
He lives on a sandbar...gotta have shorts when the creek gets up.
It ain't bragging if you can do it.
Red Bull Breeder.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

herofan
GURU
GURU

Post by herofan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:23 pm

shaz wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:22 pm
Shorts are a city boy thing. When you live in the city you know you wont have to chase a calf through brush sometime later than day.
Actually, I live in a very rural area, and I see a lot more shorts in men than I care to see. I see them farming, in construction work, you name it. That’s why I was so shocked that there was another man who didn’t own a pair. Nothing is more attractive than a man with a large gut in a tank top, shorts, and sandals, and I see it often here. 🤢 🤮

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:32 pm

tuff crowd....
She's the one that bought me the shorts..I had to ask what they were and why she bought me 1/2 a pair of pants.
I suppose I should be thankful she bought me the top 1/2 and not just the bottom 1/2..........
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:47 pm

greybeard wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:43 am
Good advice all around..those of us on blood thinners should take even more precautions........not that I do very often

don't not do like this guy either.

OMG that beats all I have ever seen......(2nd pic)

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 am

[quote=greybeard
She's the one that bought me the shorts. I had to ask what they were and why she bought me 1/2 a pair of pants.
[/quote]

Maybe she just wanted you to wear them in the house... ;-)
Stocker Steve

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU

Post by plumber_greg » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:48 pm

People today that worked like I did have so many advantages with tools. The stuff I did 35 years ago doesn't have to be done now. For instance, swinging a 3lb. Hammer at a stardrill to get through a concrete wall , beating your wrist and fingers when you miss, is no longer necessary, get a drill!!
We simply didn't have time to protect ourselves. At 64, I pay for it now!!!
That being said, i now own a home in Florida for the winter, to rest my beat up body, so there was a trade off. GS
Just call me plumberscrack

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:26 am

I fell timber for 20+ years. For maybe the first 10 or so nobody wore chaps. The state Labor and Industries started making us wear them. But we never wore those big bulky strapped over your pants kind. They constricted your movement too much. If you fall trees all day everyday there will come a time when quick movement becomes extremely important. The ones we wore slid down inside your pants and were a lot thinner. Wearing them I have felt the teeth of a saw chain bounce off my knee. Cut the heck out of my pants but not my skin. The only serious saw cut I had was when the saw kicked back and hit me across the shin below the chaps. That scar is about 6 inches long. Cut about a quarter of the way through my shin bone in an instance. All that said I still have those chaps but I never put them on when I run a saw.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:48 am

JW IN VA wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:29 am
Another post about how to lose money made me think o another way to possibly save money.

I know we all like to go with the "tough guy" approach to things and I am as guilty as anyone but one thing I've heard many times on another forum is protective equipment. It's been brought to my attention that a pair of chain saw chaps is far cheaper than a co pay to the ER. Can't argue with those numbers.
I know that fo those of us who grew up in the business wear PPE makes us feel like an extremist or "city guy" but,in truth, we are just as vulnerable to the effects of accidents even if some accidents are "rookie mistakes".
It bothers me to see people run string trimmers without so much as a pair of sunglasses when I know how much junk gets stuck on my glasses and how a dry stalk hurts when it hits my cheek.
A number of years back I noticed a neighbor wearing ear plugs when driving his tractor.I tried it and noticed how much better I could hear at the end of the day. Now I've got them whenever I'm running the tractor for any length of time,sawing or running a trimmer.Even gone so far as to mow the lawn with them.
I'm not suggesting we go out to work looking like a running back but a little prevention might save a lot in certain cases.
Good example: Last week my pens were muddy and I had rubber boots on.A calf weighing a little over 250 made me wish I had my steel toe and met guard boots on I bought for that purpose.
these are good too

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-WorkTunes ... gIm-vD_BwE
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Post by Bestoutwest » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:15 pm

I always like to think about what it's going to cost me if I get hurt. It still doesn't stop me, but it makes me think more safely. When I had my foot surgery, it became the extreme example getting infected and needing all sorts of specialty care. Cost $209,000 in the end. Thankfully we have wonderful insurance. Working with animals and heavy equipment, that could happen any time to anyone on here. Break a bone, need surgery, gets infected and now you're paying for it for life. It can happen in a blink of an eye.
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:55 pm

About 2 years ago, cut myself just below the kneecap with a saw, clutch leg, so couldn't work for 8 weeks, not to mention the ER bill, no insurance. Chaps 50 bucks and I wear them every time. My dad was a mechanic and always told me "take care of your eyes and hands". I need to start wearing hearing protection for sure. I'll say tho, that all through the years, when something happened it was mostly due to fatigue or in a hurry.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:57 pm

On the other hand if I were worried about ER visits or wear and tear on my body, I would have never rode bucking horses or fell timber. And not doing those two things I would have missed out on a whole lot of fun and money. Use some common sense . Be aware of you surroundings. But don't let worry stop you from living life. You are only here once go for the gusto.