Covid-19

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Redgully
GURU
GURU

Re: Covid-19

Post by Redgully » Sat May 23, 2020 1:40 am

I got $800 from Rudd but missed out on everything this time. Our business is one of the few who have seen a sharp increase in sales. Reading that article it is the lawyers and accountants using the money to pay staff wages so fair enough. They are the mums and dad work force. I had a small share portfolio i had just started tinkering with but sold them to keep money in bank, too nervous to buy shares now.

BigBear56
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by BigBear56 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:07 am

My mom and sister are both nurses at smaller “rural” hospitals in different parts of the state. Both have told me they are laying of nurses daily and nearly bankrupt....

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sat May 23, 2020 7:26 am

BigBear56 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:07 am
My mom and sister are both nurses at smaller “rural” hospitals in different parts of the state. Both have told me they are laying of nurses daily and nearly bankrupt....
Member of my family retired from administration at a large regional facility recently said the same thing. Not enough patients to pay the bills.
We got scammed IMO.
If corona dangerous? Sure so is the flu, and a host of other virus. You quarantine the sick not the healthy.
This reminds me of Zika was about to get us as well and it disappeared from the news cycle.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Sat May 23, 2020 8:07 am

They are still trying to work out who is sick in a lot of places, this is/has been the core issue.

There was a bunch of people over in the US at some protest, apparently a chunk got the virus at the protest and took it back to small towns, not sure of detail or if true, but this is the sort of thing that happened here too...before lockdown a person went to a wedding & the next day/s, a large % had it, there is multiple examples of this sort of thing.

It is hard to know what the best course is, it is a real hard question, it is kinda like the trolley, but both tracks have 5 people to get mown down.

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Sat May 23, 2020 8:37 am

What's happening in Sweden, i heard they were not doing lockdown but i haven't heard any more.

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Sat May 23, 2020 9:27 pm

Sweden just riding it out, social distancing suggested, no lockdown.

They have the worst deaths per head population IIRC.

haase
GURU
GURU

Post by haase » Sun May 24, 2020 10:01 pm

greggy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:36 am
haase wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:20 pm
The virus came from china, anything that comes from there doesn't last long, we have numbers in our country that are so inflated it isn't funny, Italy took it the hardest because their country is made up of the oldest population, look at the highest age of people that this virus has infected, and the average age of life in our country is 70 years old, the age is higher than that.
I doubt your medicos fake death numbers....

And the infected numbers will likely reveal that it is way under, not due to any scam, just due to how many are tested and how and what was tested for.....

I understand there is deep distrust by some in the US, but you can choose another country you may trust more to get some numbers from ?

The thing that gets me, is just like china, the temptation would be to under report, not over, what would make anyone want to inflate own numbers ? That is the part I cannot come to grips with, I have seen no good argument for why that would happen.
really missed the part were I said fake death numbers, but you and buck seem to put words were they don't belong, inflated is what I said, maybe should have used probable, really doesn't matter, covid has a higher death rate on people 65 and older, right around 80%, anyone in their elderly years always have concerns on medical issues, pneumonia is always one of the worst, my number on the average age of life in the 70s was off probably off to, would really like to know the true numbers on influenza if we did all the testing that we are doing on covid, bet it still has the impact on elderly, like covid has.

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 pm

It is ok, we are just having an armchair discussion, it is hard for anyone to get across exactly, seems were all not too far apart anyway, as no way for any of us to know exactly I guess.

My main point is, our Western countries can probably be more relied upon for accuracy, or being in the ball park if you like, compare to say North Korea, or even the Chinese govt, who have no issue hoodwinking own people at times, or so it seems. There is no massive fraud, it is not fake news, that part seems clear to me, I trust your medics and system enough to feel confident in that & like I said, I have no dog in that fight, but, I will admit, I probably would have migrated 20 years ago if they let me. I like the U...S..an Ayyy as Borat says :)

haase
GURU
GURU

Post by haase » Sun May 24, 2020 10:51 pm

Nothing wrong here, my only point is that anything that comes through as viruses go that it affects the elderly more than anyone, we have alot more different ethnic groups in the US than any other country, and were finding out that affects some more than others, I just hope we can learn from this and take care of the elderly better, my wife lost her mother during this, she was in a nursing home and she didn't get to see her during the last month of her life or have a normal funeral.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon May 25, 2020 12:01 am

haase wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:51 pm
Nothing wrong here, my only point is that anything that comes through as viruses go that it affects the elderly more than anyone, we have alot more different ethnic groups in the US than any other country, and were finding out that affects some more than others, I just hope we can learn from this and take care of the elderly better, my wife lost her mother during this, she was in a nursing home and she didn't get to see her during the last month of her life or have a normal funeral.
We buried my 86 year old cousin couple weeks ago we gathered side by side at the cemetery like normal. There are a lot of cousins left as there was 9 siblings in our grandparents family. I truly believed that could have gotten ugly fast had there been interference.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Mon May 25, 2020 5:15 am

haase wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:51 pm
I am sorry for your loss and particularly during these times and not being to be with your loved ones during her final days.

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Mon May 25, 2020 6:26 am

sstterry...yes, remember you saying that, not good, lot of people suffered with relatives passing and not being free to see them or pay respects, sorry to hear you had one too CB, my elderly relative has made it through the lockdown period, tough as nails really after the war, but covid could have taken her, which would probably bother her less than all those that survive her, which, really, is prob a chunk of what this is about too.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Mon May 25, 2020 6:48 am

Look at China's Belt and Road Initiative.

Chinese Money, Chinese Labor to build projects all of the world that China then uses to further their strategic military and economic interests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_and_Road_Initiative

bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

haase
GURU
GURU

Post by haase » Mon May 25, 2020 8:44 pm

Cb, sorry for your loss to, I think when this is all done we will learn that we didn't protect the elderly and how nursing homes are way below standards that they should be, we owe them more than that.

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Tue May 26, 2020 6:47 pm

I am not sure you can blame the homes, here, some may be sub par, yes, it is not something I know a lot about, but the issue is/was, they are already venerable generally due to poor health & that the virus could be carried and spread by someone with zero symptoms.

We managed a very low spread and death rate, and home basically locked down, but there was some bad results for some places when mainly staff unknowingly contracted virus, it then spreads like wildfire in a home and effects many residents.

At the start there was lack of testing ability & that is why the lockdown was prob only option to stop wild and wide spread, now they can test staff daily & it is opening up. Cannot blame homes for an invisible problem if they followed the available data and guides at the time.