Another shot dead by Mpls police

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Another shot dead by Mpls police

Post by Son of Butch » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Carpenter2n wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:12 pm
Son of Butch wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:46 pm
The city of Minneapolis settled out of court with Justine's family for 22 million dollars.

I doubt her family feels it compensates them for their loss.
I'm not as qualified as you in determining a family's feelings about monetary compensation.
Given her career earning potential of less than 1 million net, it was at least 4 times too high.
IF cash settlements compensating families make no difference to them...
Why do they pursue it, bother cashing the check, or fight with her fiancee over who gets how much?

Carpenter2n
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Carpenter2n » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:58 pm

As I said, the settlement is irrelevant to his sentencing. Or does the great state of MN allow that as evidence during the sentencing phase? I said I doubted that the family feels compensated for her loss. But hey, maybe they truly are completely heartless SOB's who are able to boil down the value of her life to nothing more than an actuarial table. That seems to be how you value her life. Would you feel the same if it were your loved one who is DEAD because of this guys ----poor attitude?
Do we really need to discuss the number of bloodsucking lawyers beating down their door to sue the city? (No not all lawyers are bloodsucking, but there are bunches of them out there!)
I started out an expert then spent the rest of my life learning all the things I didn't know....

Breathing is highly underrated!

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:02 am

I never said it did matter. It was an UPDATE to an old thread.
Speaking of updates.
What ever happened with the cops shooting the biker gangs trial in Waco?

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:25 am

Carpenter2n wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:58 pm
heartless SOB's.... to boil down the value of her life to nothing more than an actuarial table.
That's what monetary compensation is for...
at least until you or Dr Frankenstein can reanimate life or come up with a better solution.

"Life isn't fair." - former president Jimmy Carter
Many very sad things happen daily and few ever receive any compensation.
22 million to the parents of a 40+ yr old adult in an out of court settlement is more than generous.
No children, so no child support or reoccurring medical expenses as in many cases.
20 million wasn't enough? had to have the extra 2 million... because?? ... it's only money???

Logar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Logar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:52 am

In the end, if you let them in, sooner or later, you will have to deal with them.

Try walking around some of these places as a white woman after dark and in a short skirt.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/2 ... 26144.html

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=is ... &FORM=VDRE

A lot of this is heavily censored by your own media.

Canada is getting bad as well.

Out of this one now as my experiences will likely cause any comments to be censored from here on in.

Best to all.
Last edited by Logar on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:32 am

Son of Butch wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:42 pm
Carpenter2n wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:
The city of Minneapolis settled out of court with Justine's family for 22 million dollars.

I'm not as qualified as you in determining a family's feelings about monetary compensation.
Given her career earning potential of less than 1 million net, it was at least 4 times too high.
Why do they pursue it, bother cashing the check, or fight with her fiancee over who gets how much?
If you are going to go to the extreme of deciding the settlement value based on her personal lifetime earnings that were lost, then you must also sentence her murderer to prison 1 for 1 for the years of her life lost.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 am

Good idea greybeard.
Only 3rd degree murder, so why not 4 months for each year?
40 years x 4m = 160 months = 13 years 4 months which is about the sentence he received.
Under Minnesota sentencing guidelines circumstances including age of victim already are included
as part of the formula in determining the length of sentence.

Damages calculated on monetary compensation including out of pocket expenses, loss of earnings
and pain/suffering already is long time precedent.

22 million dollar settlement???
The mind is no match with the heart in persuasion.
Last edited by Son of Butch on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:09 am

Son of Butch wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:42 pm
Carpenter2n wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:

The offender doesn't pay the damages..the taxpayer does. What the taxpayer's attorneys agree to do has no bearing on the sentence handed down to the offender. The sentence is for criminal acts..the settlement is a civil matter. Ne'er the twain shall meet.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:15 am

Yup and I don't know how the 2 (civil and criminal) got connected as it was an UPDATE
as to results, which I post in separate paragraphs. Some just hear what they want to hear.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:33 am

Son of Butch wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 am
Good idea greybeard.
Why not year for year?
She isn't going to have fewer years as a dead person just because of words on a piece of paper.
If she was going to live for another 40 years, then that is what his sentence should be.
He received 12 1/2 years and he will be eligible for parole in 8 yrs 4 months in 2027.
It ain't like she's going to come back to life after he's done his piddly little amount of time and I don't give one rat's be nice about his 'bitterness, state of mind upon release, or resentment'.
Shoulda thought about that before he decided to pull the trigger.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:50 am

greybeard wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:33 am
Son of Butch wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 am
Good idea greybeard.
Why not year for year?
Because that's not what Minnesota guidelines call for in 3rd degree murder.
He received 12 1/2 years and he will be eligible for parole in 8 yrs 4 months in 2027.
Update: scheduled for release August 30, 2027

She's just as dead if killed by manslaughter too and that sentence is even shorter.

p.s.
Police union lawyers have appealed his case, asking for the sentence to be vacated due to receiving an unfair trial, in their words.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:01 am

greybeard wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:33 am
I don't give one rat's be nice about his 'bitterness, state of mind upon release, or resentment'.
I do, because time flies and he'll be walking around here in Minnesota soon enough as a free man and he's already proven himself to be lacking in judgment.

farmguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by farmguy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:53 am

For what it's worth I am a Viet Nam veteran. As a soldier you must make split second decisions and with the warfare today and then the enemy often surrounds themselves with civilians. Yet as a soldier as hard as that maybe you do not have the public scrutiny. I agree Mr. Noor made a terrible decision. I also feel that he may not be a good fit for a police officer. Unless you are in that situation I would find it hard to judge. This was in no way planned by Mr. Noor. I feel part of the blame is on the city for rushing Mr. Noor into service because of his ethnicity. Therefore I feel putting him in prison serves no purpose. I read of a study where critics of the police were put through a simulation course used by the police where instant decisions have to made whether to fire to save yourself or another or to wait. The critics failed terribly. I am tired of comments after a shooting where the officer had to make a two second decision. How is he or she to know the age of the suspect, whether the gun was loaded, whether the gun is a replica, whether the individual is mentally ill, ran out of meds, mentally limited, etc. etc. Excuse my rant and I know I cannot say for sure I would have made the right decision. Let's give people a benefit of the doubt. Okay, fire away! farmguy

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm

The law does not (and should not) allow for "errors in judgement" regardless of the ever popular "what a reasonable police officer would do" rationalization.
Dead, is dead no matter what.

No punishment for erroneously taking a life is a very poor deterrent for preventing someone else from doing it.

I too am a Vietnam veteran. It was stressed upon us time and again, the penalties under UCMJ for taking the lives of innocent non-combatants. I have seen police officers (and others) get away with things I would have been in front of a court martial for had I done the same thing in combat. In theory, I could have been found guilty and stood up in front of a firing squad had I killed a non-combatant female while in RVN if it was premeditated...any other level of offense of the same nature could result in prison in Portsmouth up to life without parole under Art 118.

farmguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by farmguy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:06 pm

Greybeard I respect your opinion . However when things have been slow for a long time then "bang" fire is coming from a hooch. You return fire into the hooch not at a specific target. How do you know who is all in the hooch, one VC? A family? or what did you do? I assume you would not wait to defend yourself until you somehow determined who was in the hooch. Thank you for your service.