Smart TV

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Smart TV

Postby callmefence » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:29 am

I am presently receiving extreme pressure to buy one of these. After a little research I'm intrigued myself.
They've gotten the price down in the fence builder bracket.
And I might be able to give direct TV the boot.
Does anyone have one. What do you have to say about it.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Re: Smart TV

Postby ga.prime » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:48 am

Works like any other tv but you can watch Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube on it with wifi.
1 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:11 am

We cut our Dtv package waaay back after getting one. If youre going to use it as a smart tv, make sure you have good wifi available.
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:26 am

We told the dish folks to stuff it years ago. I went to Wally World in search of a smart TV and had one picked out. Sales gal moved me on to a bigger one that was on sale. When I got home, and plugged it in, it wasn't smart. I ordered an Amazon firestick, and never looked back. It does everything that a smart tv does, and only costs thirty bucks. Your pallet is in Nashville, and is scheduled for a Monday delivery. The boss is sending the tracking info to the boss.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:32 am

With wifi and Netflixs (at $11 p/mo) it's pretty reasonable entertainment.

Scary part is if it malfunctions you call call mfg, they put some computer repair geek on the phone, get some info and can tell you what is not working and what the part will cost to get it going and when it will be there.
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:59 am

To not have to replace my existing TV's we bought an Amazon Fire TV device and love it. We have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Sling TV, and HULU I believe. All are still way cheaper than Dish or Direct.
1 x
J & D Cattle

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:14 am

You have to have fast internet for it to matter. We have a firestick also so until our non smart TV goes, we just use it. But you gotta have fast unlimited internet......
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:19 am

J&D Cattle wrote:To not have to replace my existing TV's we bought an Amazon Fire TV device and love it. We have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Sling TV, and HULU I believe. All are still way cheaper than Dish or Direct.

You can also modify the stick and do a few things which may not exactly be legal but it sure is nice knowing you, in your own way, are boycotting Hollywood.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:31 am

I just bought a Samsung smart one. It has a navigation at the bottom where you can search which function of the TV you want to use. It even has a voice feature where you press a button and tell it what you want to do. The sound quality sucks tho. My last TV had audio plugs and I ran the sound thru a receiver to enhance it. New ones have all HDMI plugs and the audio wouldn't connect to the receiver, so I bought a Bluetooth Samsung sound bar and connected it. A waste of $300 as the sound was just barely improved.

Lots of new ones have 4K capable, which is the newest step in picture quality. It also requires 4K HDMI cables, but you won't find many programs updated just yet.

At one time we decided to cut the cable and stopped Direct TV and went with an outside antenna for local channels. The wife wasn't happy because she lost two channels she watched, so she subscribed to DISH after four months. We also subscribe to Netflix and watch a lot of their produced series.
2 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:00 am

Jogeephus wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:To not have to replace my existing TV's we bought an Amazon Fire TV device and love it. We have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Sling TV, and HULU I believe. All are still way cheaper than Dish or Direct.

You can also modify the stick and do a few things which may not exactly be legal but it sure is nice knowing you, in your own way, are boycotting Hollywood.

I just don't know if I could sleep with something called a" illegally modified Amazon fire stick " in the house.
:D
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:04 am

There's a device which works in conjunction with your laptop that will allow you to watch anything you can pull up on your laptop on your tv. It's perfectly legal. No reason it wouldn't be. My son gave me one two or three years ago and showed me how it worked and I haven't used it since.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:22 am

The normal Amazon Fire Stick is completely legal but you can crack them, that is the illegal part.

I did not have TV for the longest time but I finally broke down and bought one so my son and I could play video games and watch movies. I bought the Samsung which was one of the cheaper ones, should have gone LG. It works great though.

There is no reason to own direct tv or dish unless you just like clicking channels or have bad enet. I told DT to shove it a long time ago. I have the best Netflix package, Hulu package, HBO, for like less than $50 a month. For $150 I bought an antenna from Best Buy to pick up all the local channel with in 100 miles or so.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:51 am

If you know someone who has all those packages, you can piggy back off theirs with a smart TV or fire stick...Our son has all that and is allowed 4 TVs... He only has 2, so we ride on his contract. Figure it pays for all the lunches he gets here daily.....lol
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:15 am

With a firestick you have a separate remote for it and have to used the tv remote and switch the inputs every time your swapping back and forth between the firestick and antenna.
Also have the tv remote for the volume,

May not be a big deal for you but it's a pain for me

Laptop is worse cause you don't have a remote
1 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:38 am

I have one, and I like it. We bought a Samsung b/c I like their picture quality better than the rest. Just know that it takes a bit to "warm up" so you can't jump into Netflix right away. But it's nice, I like it.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Return to “Coffee Shop”