It takes a 1000 years

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

It takes a 1000 years

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:34 pm

If you could live 1000 years how would you spend each century? The human life span is but a blink. We live only long enough to realize that life is too short. I am a dreamer. I often dream of how I would like to spend my life if I could live for a 1000 years. Breaking it down by century this is how I would spend my time.

1st century: Go back in time and experience in body the geological and biological history of this planet. I would spend time in each geological period. The Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous. Cenozoic.

2nd century. Go back in time to the cradle of mankind and observe the ancestors of Homo sapiens. To observe our most recent ancestors in their natural habitat: Kenyanthropus platyops, Australopithecus afarensis, Paranthropus boisei, Homo habilis, Homo ergaster, Homo erectus, Homo heidelbergensis, and Homo neanderthalensis. These primates are only known to us by fossils mostly cephalic fossils.

3rd Century. Live in ancient Mesopotamian in the middle East during the greatest period of discovery that our species has ever known.

4th Century. Be a professional hunter in East Africa during the romantic period of the African Safari.

5th Century. Study and teach evolutionary Anthropology.

6th Century. Study and teach Herpetology with a specialty in venomous serpents.

7th Century. Breed and Raise Simmental cattle.

8th. Century. Be a father again and raise 3 children that would be as enjoyable and as easy to raise as my son was.

9th Century. Be a TV evangelical preacher. Make millions of dollars off of saving lost souls. Fly around in a private jet and laugh at the poor saps who are paying for it all.

10th Century. Rest from 900 hundred years of living my dreams.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: It takes a 1000 years

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:45 pm

Preachers can't save lost souls....thankfully.
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:47 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Preachers can't save lost souls....thankfully.

Tell that to those who send them their money. :D
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:56 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:Preachers can't save lost souls....thankfully.

Tell that to those who send them their money. :D
well hopefully they have a book to go by...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:06 pm

The Twilight Zone had an episode similar to that. The lead character couldn't be killed or die naturally. He was perpetually mid 40's and quite miserable. He described the sadness of falling in love and starting families only to watch each wife grow old and die as well as the sorrow of seeing his children pass away while he lived on and on. He was trapped in his private he!! on earth.

Come to think of it you'd do great in that role.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Think how many people would be walking around if everybody lived 1000 years.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:11 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:The Twilight Zone had an episode similar to that. The lead character couldn't be killed or die naturally. He was perpetually mid 40's and quite miserable. He described the sadness of falling in love and starting families only to watch each wife grow old and die as well as the sorrow of seeing his children pass away while he lived on and on. He was trapped in his private he!! on earth.

Larry. Why did you come back? Just to aggravate me. Lol
1 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:11 pm

Bright Raven wrote:If you could live 1000 years how would you spend each century? The human life span is but a blink. We live only long enough to realize that life is too short. I am a dreamer. I often dream of how I would like to spend my life if I could live for a 1000 years. Breaking it down by century this is how I would spend my time.

You itching for some mental sparring tonight?

1st century: Go back in time and experience in body the geological and biological history of this planet. I would spend time in each geological period. The Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous. Cenozoic.

You get eaten by a velociraptor.

2nd century. Go back in time to the cradle of mankind and observe the ancestors of Homo sapiens. To observe our most recent ancestors in their natural habitat: Kenyanthropus platyops, Australopithecus afarensis, Paranthropus boisei, Homo habilis, Homo ergaster, Homo erectus, Homo heidelbergensis, and Homo neanderthalensis. These primates are only known to us by fossils mostly cephalic fossils.

You get clubbed to death, or die of some disease you don't have the immune system to tolerate.

3rd Century. Live in ancient Mesopotamian in the middle East during the greatest period of discovery that our species has ever known.

You die of a snake bite gathering sedge to make papyrus.

4th Century. Be a professional hunter in East Africa during the romantic period of the African Safari.

You will fair well here. We have seen the pics as proof.

5th Century. Study and teach evolutionary Anthropology.

You are murdered by religious zealots.

6th Century. Study and teach Herpetology with a specialty in venomous serpents.

You die of herpes! (The shame, i couldnt resist.)

7th Century. Breed and Raise Simmental cattle.

You die in a stampede of precursors to the black Angus.

8th. Century. Be a father again and raise 3 children that would be as enjoyable and as easy to raise as my son was.

You need to cube that number!

9th Century. Be a TV evangelical preacher. Make millions of dollars off of saving lost souls. Fly around in a private jet and laugh at the poor saps who are paying for it all.

While laughing, you choke on a chicken bone at 30,000 feet...guess who is waiting???

10th Century. Rest from 900 hundred years of living my dreams.

So be it.

In all seriousness, interesting concept. One I will have to mull over a while.
Sorry, my responses are embedded in your post.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:15 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:The Twilight Zone had an episode similar to that. The lead character couldn't be killed or die naturally. He was perpetually mid 40's and quite miserable. He described the sadness of falling in love and starting families only to watch each wife grow old and die as well as the sorrow of seeing his children pass away while he lived on and on. He was trapped in his private he!! on earth.

Almost like 'The Green Mile'.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

zirlottkim
Rancher
Rancher

Postby zirlottkim » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Raven has been watching old Star Trek reruns.
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:35 pm

I'd start in a tavern, and let it evolve from there.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Revelation 20:1-6
And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. 2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.

4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They[a] had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

That's how I would like to spend my 1000 years.
1 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:30 pm

You think you would survive the last 4 of those?
What you have against pre-Cambrian?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:42 am

greybeard wrote:

You think you would survive the last 4 of those?
What you have against pre-Cambrian?

The first one (Cambrian) and before would be the challenge without SCUBA. The atmosphere was not what it is today. First rock evidence of atmospheric oxygen was 2.4–2.3 billion years ago. Yet, by the Cambrian Period there was still not enough atmospheric oxygen to sustain higher aerobic organisms. The first detailed vascular plant fossils appear in rocks from middle Silurian, about 425 million years ago. So the oxygen factory was not in full production until much later. That answers the question of why I avoided going Precambrian.

The last one - Cenozoic - is not technically a "Period". It is a geologic "Era". We currently live in the Cenozoic. If I remember my biological etymology, Ceno means present or recent time.

There was the Great Depression, we all know about that but few know about the Great Oxygen Event (GOE).

The evidence is that free oxygen was first produced by photosynthetic organisms (prokaryotic, then eukaryotic) which emitted oxygen as a waste product. These organisms lived long before the GOE, perhaps 3500 million years ago (mya). The oxygen they produced would have quickly been removed from the atmosphere by the 'mass rusting' which led to the deposition of banded-iron formations. Oxygen only began to persist in the atmosphere in small quantities shortly (~50 million years) before the start of the GOE. Without a draw-down, oxygen would accumulate very rapidly. At today's rates of photosynthesis (which are much greater than those in the land-plant-free Precambrian), modern atmospheric O2 levels could be produced in around 2,000 years.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:20 am

Bright Raven wrote:

Larry. Why did you come back? Just to aggravate me. Lol

It has been rumored.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Return to “Coffee Shop”