Sous vide

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Sous vide

Postby slick4591 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:25 am

I haven't taken a Servsafe or any other government indoctrination in 10 years, so I didn't know. Makes sense as European standards are lower than here. I keep telling myself that I'll get into sous vide cooking one day but never make the order.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:32 am

slick4591 wrote:I haven't taken a Servsafe or any other government indoctrination in 10 years, so I didn't know. Makes sense as European standards are lower than here. I keep telling myself that I'll get into sous vide cooking one day but never make the order.

I think you'd love one but its a lot different than what we are taught and to use one safely you really need to have some understanding of food safety so its definitely not for everyone.

You can cook nearly anything with it but IMO the biggest difference you will see with its use is when you cook real lean meats like chicken breasts.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
slick4591 wrote:I haven't taken a Servsafe or any other government indoctrination in 10 years, so I didn't know. Makes sense as European standards are lower than here. I keep telling myself that I'll get into sous vide cooking one day but never make the order.

I think you'd love one but its a lot different than what we are taught and to use one safely you really need to have some understanding of food safety so its definitely not for everyone.

You can cook nearly anything with it but IMO the biggest difference you will see with its use is when you cook real lean meats like chicken breasts.

Have you tried a venison ham muscle yet?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:34 pm

I have pork chops going in it right now... Should I look up what temp to cook them to or trust someone here to guide me...lol Actually I had my son set it up, he cares about me..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Whole muscle pork is safe with @ 145F. That's something you can check out for yourself tho.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:56 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

Have you tried a venison ham muscle yet?

Yes, it does good on deer. Not as big of improvement on deer or beef as you can get on chicken though simply because you can get by cooking deer and beef at lower internal temps and be safe.

Here is a venison sirloin tip roast I cooked this way at 131F for 6 hours in blueberry wine and butter with garlic and rosemary then seared and sliced for sandwiches. Had the texture of a good steak.

1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:11 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:I had planned to use it yesterday but remembered husband had a fire meeting. I'm going to town today so i'm going to pick up some pork chops. Aldi has really nice thick ones..

So how did they turn out?
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:01 am

Jogeephus wrote:

I finally joined the ranks and I'm now kicking myself wondering why it took me so long. I did marinated pork loin yesterday and they were by far better than using any other heat source. I figure one of the tricks to it is going to be learning the cooking temps and times on different products.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:04 pm

slick4591 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

I finally joined the ranks and I'm now kicking myself wondering why it took me so long. I did marinated pork loin yesterday and they were by far better than using any other heat source. I figure one of the tricks to it is going to be learning the cooking temps and times on different products.

:lol: :lol: I hope you didn't kick yourself as hard as I kicked myself. I first thought it was some silly gimmick but the proof is in the pudding isn't it?

I'm still getting on the learning curve but I think you will find the thing really shines on poor cuts of meat like chicken breasts. You can do steaks and stuff and it makes them better but not THAT much better. But you can take a chicken breast and turn it into something actually worth eating.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:57 pm

I dug three breasts out of the freezer to thaw. I also dug out my old FoodSaver, which I hadn't used since I shut the catering kitchen down. I was amazed that thing still worked! I will inject the breasts and seal to marinate. Tomorrow looks like a chicken kinda day.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:13 pm

I think you are going to be amazed at what it does to a chicken breast. Its actually edible! (yeah, I hate traditional chicken breasts) You ought to experiment and do one of them without the injection - just add some spices and butter and vac-seal and cook.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:19 pm

I'm sure I will eventually. I'll be having more fun when mama's fresh herbs get to growing again. BTW, do you finish off in a skillet or torch?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:12 pm

I used it for steaks last night, they were the best I've ever made..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:47 pm

slick4591 wrote:I'm sure I will eventually. I'll be having more fun when mama's fresh herbs get to growing again. BTW, do you finish off in a skillet or torch?

Normally a cast iron skillet or a griddle but if its a real good cut of meat like steak I'll sear it on charcoal. I did the torch thing once but I really don't have a good torch to use so I stopped.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:52 pm

I used a cast iron griddle... I made shrimp scampi too, then seared them off on the griddle... They were really good too..
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”