Custer's Last Stand

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Re: Custer's Last Stand

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:56 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:
HDRider wrote:I'd add, large population centers breed different cultures, art and science than small bands of nomads.

An agrarian society allows for specialized farmers, hunters, etc. This allows time for scholarly pursuits, theology developments, an advanced hierarchy of government, etc. B/c the Native Americans were "constantly" on the move, their societies lacked some of these.

Many had no need for any of this at the time. There system was working perfect. Imagine what the thinking was when ships landed with people dressed like you had never seen, carrying weapons you had never seen nor heard, riding some animal you had never seen, and speaking a language you had never heard. Probably was more than a little panic especially when the first shot rang out and people started falling over dead.

I can only imagine how terrifying it was to see someone holding a stick that made noise and shot projectiles. And then, in the case of the Mayflower, they steal your corn and follow you when they see you. It's quite remarkable that ANY of them were friendly at all.

bball wrote:And seemingly more content because of it..in many instances.

Us or them? I've read that most nomadic societies have a higher level of satisfaction in life, but honestly I wonder how that's something that's easily measurable.
1 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:57 pm

TexasBred wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:
HDRider wrote:What is?

The attacks.

Nothing you have done HDR

Boogie you show up once a month and add nothing. Nobody has attacked you. Matter of fact never even gave you a thought.

4th time just today I have logged in.

Lots of folks have simply left.
1 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:22 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:TB your not worth my time as a poster I used to truly respect IMO has turned into a bitter old man just looking for a fight not a discussion.

Only waiting for you to say something intelligent, Professor.

Can’t have that discussion with you looking at the DNA map you drew the short straw.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:40 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:
The attacks.

Nothing you have done HDR

Boogie you show up once a month and add nothing. Nobody has attacked you. Matter of fact never even gave you a thought.

4th time just today I have logged in.

Lots of folks have simply left.

Are you saying they left because they were attacked? Are you placing that blame on TexasBred?

This is not directed at you, Boogie. Several Users lament that many have left. Some say it is because of me or CG8. Some say it is because the libs have taken over. One even said it is because the forum has become too intellectual.

If you boil that down it says to me that they left because they "can't have their way". Sounds like they need a dose of backbone! Or maybe they just need to grow up.
4 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
HDRider wrote:I'd add, large population centers breed different cultures, art and science than small bands of nomads.

An agrarian society allows for specialized farmers, hunters, etc. This allows time for scholarly pursuits, theology developments, an advanced hierarchy of government, etc. B/c the Native Americans were "constantly" on the move, their societies lacked some of these.

The mongols were constantly on the move and nomadic as well .
They ended up conquering most of the known world in less than a 100 years.
Their conquests changed history.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:

The mongols were constantly on the move and nomadic as well .
They ended up conquering most of the known world in less than a 100 years.
Their conquests changed history.

CB, it is amazing what they did. The Mongol conquest was ruthless. They rode rough shod - literally, on horse back- over most of Asia and Europe.
0 x
Diogenes.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:38 pm

~10% of the men who reside within the borders of the Mongol Empire as it was at the death of Genghis Khan may carry his Y chromosome, and so ~0.5% of men in the world, about 16 million individuals alive today, do so.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/ ... jMLE9-nHIU
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:42 pm

~10% of the men who reside within the borders of the Mongol Empire as it was at the death of Genghis Khan may carry his Y chromosome, and so ~0.5% of men in the world, about 16 million individuals alive today, do so.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/ ... jMLE9-nHIU
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Raven there were several other nomadic to semi-nomadic that conquered huge chunks of territory.
The Huns and Vikings. The Huns conquered the Roman Empire.The Viking conquest are amazing for their nautical, navigation and military skills
for the time in history.
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:41 pm

It never ceases to amaze me as to how everyone on here supposedly has such great knowledge of history. You guys must have really payed attention in history class and had some awesome history teachers. ;-)
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:47 pm

herofan wrote:It never ceases to amaze me as to how everyone on here supposedly has such great knowledge of history. You guys must have really payed attention in history class and had some awesome history teachers. ;-)

Or maybe we just sound like we know. Lol
0 x
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Mongols used biological warfare as well.

“The Mongol Empire established commercial and political connections between the Eastern and Western areas of the world, through the most mobile army ever seen. The armies, composed of the most rapidly moving travelers who had ever moved between the steppes of East Asia (where bubonic plague was and remains endemic among small rodents), managed to keep the chain of infection without a break until they reached, and infected, peoples and rodents who had never encountered it. The ensuing Black Death may have killed up to 25 million in China and roughly a third of the population of Europe and in the next decades, changing the course of Asian and European history.“
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:49 pm

herofan wrote:It never ceases to amaze me as to how everyone on here supposedly has such great knowledge of history. You guys must have really payed attention in history class and had some awesome history teachers. ;-)

More like they got to expert level playing Ancient Empires on their Nintendos.
1 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:54 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Raven there were several other nomadic to semi-nomadic that conquered huge chunks of territory.
The Huns and Vikings. The Huns conquered the Roman Empire.The Viking conquest are amazing for their nautical, navigation and military skills
for the time in history.

Don't forget the Ottoman Empire. It exceeded the Roman Empire in area.

But they all rose and fell - Roman, Mongol, Ottoman, British, etc. When is our fall coming?
0 x
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Raven there were several other nomadic to semi-nomadic that conquered huge chunks of territory.
for the time in history.

Don't forget the Ottoman Empire. It exceeded the Roman Empire in area.

But they all rose and fell - Roman, Mongol, Ottoman, British, etc. When is our fall coming?

Looks to be soon with the Islamic explosion across the open boarders of the world. Different type invasion but invasion all the same.
1 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”