Brutal outdoors

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Brutal outdoors

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:18 am

We have been anywhere between -1 and -16 during the nights since Christmas, hitting low teens a few days during the day.
Last night it was -3 but it is brutal with the wind. We got somewhere between maybe 8-10" of snow, but you can't tell. I have bare short grass showing in open fields and 3-4' drifts anywhere there is structure. There was at least 6" of snow on the open fields yesterday. :shock: gone!!! It's somewhere in the woods.
I have 6 heifers that have calved in the last 5 days (1 more due). One dam kept bringing her calf to the far end of the field next to the woods & the calf was going under the fence & hiding. Other dams would follow her back there, and their calves would follow. errr
We put her & her calf in the barn, and all the other newborns were tucked away in their shed last night. Thank goodness.
Expecting -30 wind chill tonight.
To some, that may not seem bad, but NY cold is REALLY cold. Lot different than Canada or out West. Very damp/humid.
Stay warm!!!
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Brutal outdoors

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:36 am

Thank God for a good ""hay"" year..mine are going at it like a pie eating contest...
4 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:34 am

Can’t even imagine those temps the coldest I have ever seen here was 2 winter of 83. That Siberian Express then gripped the whole nation as well, came in on Christmas.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:04 pm

We're having a heat wave over here. Everything is scorched. Seems ridiculous, you guys are putting on clothes and we are taking them off :lol:

Stick in there Jeanne and all you others.
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:46 pm

Will be putting all my layers of clothes on pretty soon for evening chores. Have 1 heifer left to calve that we will put in again tonight. They go in the barn at night & we kick them out during the day. She just "sees" me walk out towards the gate, she beats me to it and brushes past me as soon as I open it wide enough for her. No herding this lady!!! She's no dummy.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:13 pm

I cannot remember having those cold of temps even for a few days when I was in Ct. We are running about 20 degrees colder than our average temps. Been in the single digits or below zero at night and days have not hit above mid 20's. Normally we are in the 20's nights and 35-40 days. It hit us sudden too, had 50's & 60's daytime temps the week before Christmas, then dropped 15-20 degrees then the bottom just dropped out of it.

No snow here but they got some in the eastern part of Va. Wind chills are supposed to be in the minus during the day tomorrow.

I feel for you all up north cuz I know how we are suffering here.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:35 pm

My little lady does not look like she will do anything tonight. I would rather she did not tonight. She is in the barn, but the barn is same temp as outdoors, just no wind and good bedding.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:31 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:To some, that may not seem bad, but NY cold is REALLY cold. Lot different than Canada or out West. Very damp/humid.

Ha. You realize Canada has a great mass of water in its center, as well as an east coast right? I'd have to drive 13 hours SOUTH to New york. Same as you going to Atlanta or something..
2 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:25 am

Wind chill is currently -23. And it's gonna be 15 degrees colder tomorrow night. That's math I don't want to do right now.... We have the heat cranked inside but it's having a hard time keeping up. The inside temp was dropping a degree or two an hour. Had to put a fire in the fireplace to try to get it holding steady. Crossing fingers the water stays open for the cows...
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:50 am

I bet she has it tonight Jeanne. They are good at making liars of you.

Ken
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:21 am

We were on the back side of 0 this week with the wind chill, I just can't imagine those temps for any length of time .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:03 am

Didn't know Canada experiences the same nasty damp winters we have.
Anyway, no baby. She was restless all night. She's been coming in the barn, eating the nice 2nd cut hay we put out for her, then pretty much just lays down for the night.
She has been up & down like a yo-yo last night. Not really pacing. And I see she didn't eat all her nice hay. They have baleage outside, but it can be hard for them to eat. It gets frozen.
I think today or tonight she'll go. Hopefully. Last one to watch for 2 weeks. (2 wk break in our breeding program while we go to Kauai)
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:51 am

She is starting in labor now. I did not turn her out. I was pretty sure she was ready!!
Supposed to be -28 wind chill. Brrrr
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:07 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Didn't know Canada experiences the same nasty damp winters we have.

Its really just out west in the prairies that gets that dry cold - but they get lots of it. Plenty of moisture here off the ocean, but also very up and down for temps and a lot more snow and rain.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Wouldn't be so bad if we were getting this in "spurts", but it has been brutally cold since Christmas, so 2 weeks without a let up. Well, that's a lie, we had one day that got into the low teens & it was sunny and no wind. Felt like a heat wave. LOL
Heifer had her baby. Had 2 feet & a nose at 11:30, so headed to the butcher to pick up side of beef. Got back at 12:15 and calf was up & sucking. Bonus - it's a girl - wahoo!!
4 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”