Brutal outdoors

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Brutal outdoors

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Was complaining about how brutal it was outdoors.
Went from -30 wind chill to 55F in a matter of less than a week.
We got at least an inch of rain about 5:30AM. I don't have my rain gauge out in winter. You can see the fog in the distance from the snow still on ground.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:27 pm

A week ago, you couldn't leave a beer unattended long enough to tag a calf.(Yes, there was a management issue) It was 60 when the sun went down yesterday. It's 26 now with a wind chill of 7, and they just upped the forecast to 10" of snow today on top of the ice we got early this morning. Calling for 2 degrees tomorrow. Could be worse I suppose.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Yup, rain turning to snow through the night. Expecting 5-10" and down to -7 tomorrow night. Ground is "slimey" on top, but 2-day warm spell not long enough to thaw the deep freeze we have. Thank goodness!!!
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Image

A week ago, you couldn't leave a beer unattended long enough to tag a calf.(Yes, there was a management issue) It was 60 when the sun went down yesterday. It's 26 now with a wind chill of 7, and they just upped the forecast to 10" of snow today on top of the ice we got early this morning. Calling for 2 degrees tomorrow. Could be worse I suppose.

Give me a shout...I'll "hold your beer". :lol2: :lol2: :hide:
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:11 pm

We got hit with a 1/4" coat of freezing rain this morning at 0400 after being 60 degrees yesterday. Snow followed the ice so roads are coated with a nice ice layer underneath, wind howling out of the north at 25mph and it's barely 20 degrees. Put out fresh hay first thing this am, did all the chores and 'running around'. Nothing to do now but post on CT...
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:02 pm

We are getting the same. It was 57 today, raining. Already 31 dropping to -7 by morning??
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 pm

We have our first mud since last winter, I'd like to see a couple of more inches of rain. I was a little worried about the steers I cut but they looked alright.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:07 am

Oh, the lovely sound of a hellacious ice storm outside my window.....So glad I put down about $50 worth of salt (1/4mi long very steep driveway) that got rained off before it turned to sleet (3 hrs later than "they" said it would). Tomorrow will be interesting...
1 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:24 am

boondocks wrote:Oh, the lovely sound of a hellacious ice storm outside my window.....So glad I put down about $50 worth of salt (1/4mi long very steep driveway) that got rained off before it turned to sleet (3 hrs later than "they" said it would). Tomorrow will be interesting...

That salt must cause a bit of rust in your vehicles??

Ken
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:16 am

Boondocks - what were you doing up at 2am??
Ken - yes, all the roads are salted and YES it is very hard on the vehicles.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Boondocks - what were you doing up at 2am??
Ken - yes, all the roads are salted and YES it is very hard on the vehicles.

Up fretting about the sleet and snow lol. We really have quite a hard time with that driveway and sometimes go out in the middle of the night to plow. Was too icy. Plowing it today was fun. Almost didn't end well. Got my heart rate up!

Ken, we get our vehicles undercoated about every year but they do get rusty. My 2004 truck is a trusty rusty
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:45 am

Well, yesterday was interesting. Nephew Phil made an unexpected trip to Rhode Island for the weekend Friday. No big deal. All groups needed to be fed hay Saturday. No big deal, done that alone forever.
As you all know, weather was major weird. Went from 57F raining on Friday to single digits over-night & snow/blizzard. OK
So, I get up & plug the tractor in (old Case 5230). Later go out to start tractor. Couldn't get INTO tractor. Big deal!!!!
Frozen solid. Left side faced prevailing winds. Couldn't even push the button to open door. Went to off side. Frozen but not as bad. After a lot of effort, could get it to wiggle on the top. Now, you have to picture. I am 5' 2", 125#, so I have to climb up on the step to "push" the button. So, I'm holding the button & pulling for all I'm worth, thinking "this isn't going to be pretty if the door suddenly opens". Well, it didn't. So, I ended up getting the propane torch & CAREFULLY heated the seal along the bottom. Finally. Got in.
OK, so now I'm squeezing in & out of the wrong side door. Remember, it's cold, I'm wearing insulated coveralls, and a heavy Carhartt like coat over it. Have to get in & out at each gate, and several times for each bale, I feed a few baleage bales - lot of pulling.
Then I grab two dry, net wrapped bales. OMG. Brutal!!! Even with the bales sitting on the ground, they are as tall if not a little taller than me. Had to shut my eyes with every pull, throwing shards of ice in my face. Last two dry bales I fed. Went back to baleage. They weren't easy, but a piece of cake compared. LONG CHORE DAY.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:54 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Well, yesterday was interesting. Nephew Phil made an unexpected trip to Rhode Island for the weekend Friday. No big deal. All groups needed to be fed hay Saturday. No big deal, done that alone forever.

Tell Phil, he can go courting when the winter is over. Lol

I see you don't park your tractor inside. I park mine in the Quonset building. I don't even need a block heater but recently I did have to place a small electric heater under the engine area overnight.

I remove the baling twine from my rolls. I had to us a catfish noodling hook to get the twine off yesterday.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:13 am

I used a hay hook.
Phil is going to be in a wedding in May. Groom contacted him while we were in town shopping Friday, said needed to pick out & get fitted one weekend this month. We discussed it and this was the best weekend - no cows due to calve.
Normally, if he would be gone, we would just load up the lots with hay to cover til he gets back.
No, I don't have anyplace to put my tractor inside.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:15 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I used a hay hook.
Phil is going to be in a wedding in May. Groom contacted him while we were in town shopping Friday, said needed to pick out & get fitted one weekend this month. We discussed it and this was the best weekend - no cows due to calve.
Normally, if he would be gone, we would just load up the lots with hay to cover til he gets back.
No, I don't have anyplace to put my tractor inside.

Jeanne. A catfish noodling hook looks just like a downsided hay hook.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Return to “Coffee Shop”