Pacemaker

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Pacemaker

Postby dun » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Keep the information coming, really appreciate it.
It isn;t a standard type of pacemaker, it operates continuously and doesn;t wait to sense a problem.
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7067
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Pacemaker

Postby Workinonit Farm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:29 pm

jltrent wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
melking wrote: I don't undertand the chainsaw problem. Why wouldn't it apply to any small engine if that was the case?


I was wondering that as well. Maybe has something to do with the pull-start cord? Or the strain/stress of handling it?

Maybe dun will tell us what he was told.


Pacemakers can be sensitive to Radio Frequency (RF) interference, which is why using a chainsaw can be a problem. One type of early radios was known as "spark gap generators". They jumped a spark across a gap (sound familiar?). This generated RF energy across a huge spectrum of frequencies... no need to tune the receiver, since the transmitter was going on just about every frequency. Some years ago, I stumbled across plan to make a spark gap generator transmitter from a spark plug, ignition coil, relay and a few other parts.

The spark plugs in cars are not generally a problem since they and the car/engine are designed to shield the RF interference. (If you ever pull up next to an antique car at a stoplight, it will probably wreak havoc on your radio.)

Just use an electric or battery powered chainsaw.


Interesting! Thanks for the education. :)

I guess, most anyhow, of the radios (transmitters) used with radio-controlled airplanes have those shields. I believe one or two of the guys that my husband used to fly with, had pacemakers.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Pacemaker

Postby jltrent » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:38 pm

dun wrote:Keep the information coming, really appreciate it.
It isn;t a standard type of pacemaker, it operates continuously and doesn;t wait to sense a problem.


Do you know if it is a dual-chamber pacemakers or single-chamber pacemakers? It sounds like a dual to keep the atrium and ventricle rhythm synchronized in pace continuously.
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5269
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Pacemaker

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:49 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
dun wrote:Anyone got one?
Thanks


I don't but both my parents had pacemakers implanted in their mid to late 80s.
They did much better with them than before. Dad didn't want one but after he got used to it, he said it really helped.

An uncle got one when he was 83 and said it was one of the best things he had done. Felt he had more energy.
He made it to 91.

Additional info: 1st uncle had a standard model.
His younger brother was scheduled to receive one at age 82 he postponed it while he did very in depth research on
models available. He never did get one, which didn't seem to matter as he was killed in an accident a few years later.
1 x

User avatar
bbirder
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 757
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:23 pm
Location: S. Louisiana

Re: Pacemaker

Postby bbirder » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 pm

dun wrote:It's apparantly the vibration that cuases the problem


Did they tell you to leave Momma alone also? Just joking, hope you resolve the problem.
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Pacemaker

Postby dun » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:47 pm

jltrent wrote:
dun wrote:Keep the information coming, really appreciate it.
It isn;t a standard type of pacemaker, it operates continuously and doesn;t wait to sense a problem.


Do you know if it is a dual-chamber pacemakers or single-chamber pacemakers? It sounds like a dual to keep the atrium and ventricle rhythm synchronized in pace continuously.

It's the dual one. 3 Leads instead of just 2. That is exactly what it does since the 2 sides are out of sync
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

f1tiger
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: Pacemaker

Postby f1tiger » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:20 pm

Know only 2 people that I am close to that have pacemakers: both are living because of the pacemaker and both were caution about chainsaws: wish I did not have to use one lol: knew one other gent years ( toolpusher on a drilling rig) ago that had a pacemaker and he could not be around drill pipe on rack as it would effect his pacemaker because of the magnetism in the drill pipe .....pacemakers,stints,by-pass surgery....better than the alternative . Dun I love my triple by pass and enjoy walking 4 miles 6 days a week And I do not miss my cigarettes ( quit 21 years ago when my middle grandson told me while we were barracuda fishing why not quit Smoking for him and I did right then) but when I turn 70 me and Mr Copenhagen are going to become good friends again . 10 years to get cancer and 5 for doctor to find it and who cares then lol
0 x

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2311
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Pacemaker

Postby jltrent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:52 am

dun wrote:
jltrent wrote:
dun wrote:Keep the information coming, really appreciate it.
It isn;t a standard type of pacemaker, it operates continuously and doesn;t wait to sense a problem.


Do you know if it is a dual-chamber pacemakers or single-chamber pacemakers? It sounds like a dual to keep the atrium and ventricle rhythm synchronized in pace continuously.

It's the dual one. 3 Leads instead of just 2. That is exactly what it does since the 2 sides are out of sync


It is amazing what a good heart electrician or heart plumber can do. From the top down, atrium's to the ventricles the signals get all messed up and this should keep them in sync. The 3 leads will be placed in the right top and both bottom chambers to keep it running like a good 4-cylinder. Kinda like putting a new coil in. Good luck as you will do good.

Image
1 x

User avatar
Ryder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5639
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)

Re: Pacemaker

Postby Ryder » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:06 pm

My mother had one. It was amazing how much more energy she had then.
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

User avatar
melking
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2022
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:20 pm
Location: Muse Florida...just for ryder

Re: Pacemaker

Postby melking » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:14 am

jltrent wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
melking wrote: I don't undertand the chainsaw problem. Why wouldn't it apply to any small engine if that was the case?


I was wondering that as well. Maybe has something to do with the pull-start cord? Or the strain/stress of handling it?

Maybe dun will tell us what he was told.


Pacemakers can be sensitive to Radio Frequency (RF) interference, which is why using a chainsaw can be a problem. One type of early radios was known as "spark gap generators". They jumped a spark across a gap (sound familiar?). This generated RF energy across a huge spectrum of frequencies... no need to tune the receiver, since the transmitter was going on just about every frequency. Some years ago, I stumbled across plan to make a spark gap generator transmitter from a spark plug, ignition coil, relay and a few other parts.

The spark plugs in cars are not generally a problem since they and the car/engine are designed to shield the RF interference. (If you ever pull up next to an antique car at a stoplight, it will probably wreak havoc on your radio.)

Just use an electric or battery powered chainsaw.



Thanks, learn something new every day. I remember the radio problem from my earlier days. wasn't there something in the fron wheel hubs?
0 x
One thing you will never hear a southern boy say....Duct tape won't fix that, except, even duct tape can't fix stupid. It can, however, muffle it.

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:12 pm
Location: Western Canada

Re: Pacemaker

Postby JCcattle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:07 am

My little bro has had one since he was 5. His goes continuously and has to be replaced every 7 years or so. It hasn’t stopped him from chainsawing etc but welding and magnets are a definite no. They can mess with the setting on it. I know several people who got them in their 70s or so and it made life better for them!
1 x


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests