Failure to plan ahead

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
herofan
GURU
GURU

Re: Failure to plan ahead

Postby herofan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:23 pm

Another one that gets me is people gave no back up for heat in this kind of weather. It never crossed their mind that the HVAC might break down. No space heater, kerosene heater or anything.
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:31 pm

I know that you didn't post this for praise, but you're a good man, Bigfoot.
1 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:51 pm

We try to prepare, sometimes we fail. We try to help others when possible. I try to plow out some neighbors when it snows, they don't seem to appreciate it. Asked this week and he said he didn't need it, so I just drove on by. Did have to pull out the UPS guy as he tried to come to my place like an idiot. Pulled one guy out in town when I took my mother groceries. My mother gets pretty panicky in this type of weather, she grew up in hard times though. Tells me she is about out of something and get there and she has plenty. She worries I couldn't make it 7 miles to her house.

I have a generator for some backup power and gas logs for some back up heat. Try to keep equipment up so I can always feed hay. Most of my neighbors would have no problem helping me if needed and me help them if needed. Most of the people are good people, some just don't have common sense though.

I really dislike cold weather, rater mow grass than move white stuff and chop ice.
1 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:29 am

tom4018 wrote:We try to prepare, sometimes we fail. We try to help others when possible. I try to plow out some neighbors when it snows, they don't seem to appreciate it. Asked this week and he said he didn't need it, so I just drove on by. Did have to pull out the UPS guy as he tried to come to my place like an idiot. Pulled one guy out in town when I took my mother groceries. My mother gets pretty panicky in this type of weather, she grew up in hard times though. Tells me she is about out of something and get there and she has plenty. She worries I couldn't make it 7 miles to her house.

I have a generator for some backup power and gas logs for some back up heat. Try to keep equipment up so I can always feed hay. Most of my neighbors would have no problem helping me if needed and me help them if needed. Most of the people are good people, some just don't have common sense though.

I really dislike cold weather, rater mow grass than move white stuff and chop ice.

I have one that I only ever hear from when they need plowed out. :roll:
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:35 am

I'm on the road alot no matter the weather, I pull several people out of ditches if I can, a thanks and move on.
Yesterday got to my dad's, temp is 7, I go every morning in this weather to put out hay and check things, he is 90. Someone had run through about 30 yards of fence and laid it down. They ran through the heifer lot to an old gate never used anymore, exited the place, never told anyone. Just lucky I went and heifers weren't out. But nobody offered to stop and help me fence, heck temp was up to 11 then lol. Was one good thing, they did shut the gate back!!!!!
2 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:59 am

Lazy M wrote:I know that you didn't post this for praise, but you're a good man, Bigfoot.

:nod: :nod: :nod:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:14 am

Lazy M wrote:I know that you didn't post this for praise, but you're a good man, Bigfoot.

Better than me. I got enough of my own stuff going on without trying to take care of people that's got no try in them.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:24 am

Bigfoot wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Troy,

I am in Kentucky so it is about the same here. I am well prepared. Kenley Conner (Select Sires) was just here servicing my semen tank. I showed him my calves. He said if he ever comes back as a calf, he wants to come back on my farm. Lol. My calves look good. Sorry, tooting my own horn.

My only scare would be losing water. I really don't have an emergency plan for that. All my water for the cattle is public water.

Water is a challenge, and it's the hardest battle. I'm blessed with quit a bit of moving water (I know the cows shouldn't be in it, but they are).

I was down in Oregon looking at places yesterday. One of them had a hot spring that ran out of the hill just up behind the house. I told the broker one advantage to that place is you don't have to worry about the stock water freezing no matter how cold it gets.
0 x

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Bigfoot wrote:. If people would just plan ahead, or learn from previous years, it wouldn't be too bad. I also realize if you live in Louisiana, you not set up for the cold. This is Ky. We get cold snaps and snow every year. Why not plan for it? Rant over.

You are right. In Louisiana we don't know how to handle cold, snow, ice.
Wife said face book map showed La. shut down. It pretty much was but better now.
Snowed twice here. That is two times too many.
What amuses me is no mail. Whatever happened to that storms, gloom of night, etc.
Seems the old time pony express riders are no more.

People really do try to prepare for hurricanes. In fact they go crazy buying out grocery stores when a hurricane is forecast. To get out amongst them is often more dangerous than the hurricane.

But when you get down to it seems that people are people no matter where they are. Some got good sense and some don't.

I have heard it said that it takes all kinds to make a world.
I have never understood that. :?
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:36 am

Ryder wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:. If people would just plan ahead, or learn from previous years, it wouldn't be too bad. I also realize if you live in Louisiana, you not set up for the cold. This is Ky. We get cold snaps and snow every year. Why not plan for it? Rant over.

You are right. In Louisiana we don't know how to handle cold, snow, ice.
Wife said face book map showed La. shut down. It pretty much was but better now.
Snowed twice here. That is two times too many.
What amuses me is no mail. Whatever happened to that storms, gloom of night, etc.
Seems the old time pony express riders are no more.

People really do try to prepare for hurricanes. In fact they go crazy buying out grocery stores when a hurricane is forecast. To get out amongst them is often more dangerous than the hurricane.

But when you get down to it seems that people are people no matter where they are. Some got good sense and some don't.

I have heard it said that it takes all kinds to make a world.
I have never understood that. :?

There's always a brite side to everything, snakes don't like snow.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Coffee Shop”