Is this a sign

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Chocolate Cow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Is this a sign

Postby Chocolate Cow » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:12 pm

Hedge trees. They were planted here for wind breaks and boundary fences before wire fence. Now, wire fences are tied to hedge posts. You can drive a staple into the post when it's green but once it's cured it can't be done.
http://dyckarboretum.org/osage-orange-a ... ing-fence/
0 x

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:21 pm

To plant a hedge row for fencing or windbreaks, farmers would gather the hedge apples and soak them in barrels of water over the winter. In the Spring, plow a furrow where they wanted the row and then dump the slurry in the ditch.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:02 pm

D2Cat wrote:To plant a hedge row for fencing or windbreaks, farmers would gather the hedge apples and soak them in barrels of water over the winter. In the Spring, plow a furrow where they wanted the row and then dump the slurry in the ditch.

How fast do they grow?
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:02 am

bball wrote:
D2Cat wrote:To plant a hedge row for fencing or windbreaks, farmers would gather the hedge apples and soak them in barrels of water over the winter. In the Spring, plow a furrow where they wanted the row and then dump the slurry in the ditch.

How fast do they grow?

Slow. There are some fences that were built when this land was settled out of boise d arc post that are still in the gound. Last forever. People use them for foundation blocks for houses.. The trees are kind of a pain in the backside, they get thorns and also drop bowling ball sized horse apples..
There is one down the road that use to be one of the biggest in texas. One of our places has them all over it. The wood is bright yellow, very pretty and interesting grains.. We've made several things out of it... We oiled this hearth, so it darkened. It started out bright neon yellow and looked weird, so looks better dark.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 am

We also call them horse apple trees, but don't know why. I've never seen a horse eat one, but I have a heifer that will bite one occasionally. When I had sows they kept them cleaned up and I've cut them in half and thrown them under the house as insect repellent. I've never seen one a large as a bowling ball tho. Ours are about softball size.
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:42 am

slick4591 wrote:We also call them horse apple trees, but don't know why. I've never seen a horse eat one, but I have a heifer that will bite one occasionally. When I had sows they kept them cleaned up and I've cut them in half and thrown them under the house as insect repellent. I've never seen one a large as a bowling ball tho. Ours are about softball size.

They are called hedge apples in Kentucky. Lots of people cut them in half and throw them in the crawl space under their house.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:10 am

You don't want to sit under one when they are dropping their apples...lol
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:27 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
bball wrote:

How fast do they grow?

Slow. There are some fences that were built when this land was settled out of boise d arc post that are still in the gound. Last forever. People use them for foundation blocks for houses.. The trees are kind of a pain in the backside, they get thorns and also drop bowling ball sized horse apples..
There is one down the road that use to be one of the biggest in texas. One of our places has them all over it. The wood is bright yellow, very pretty and interesting grains.. We've made several things out of it... We oiled this hearth, so it darkened. It started out bright neon yellow and looked weird, so looks better dark.
a wooden hearth? Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?
0 x

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:08 am

Bright Raven wrote:
slick4591 wrote:We also call them horse apple trees, but don't know why. I've never seen a horse eat one, but I have a heifer that will bite one occasionally. When I had sows they kept them cleaned up and I've cut them in half and thrown them under the house as insect repellent. I've never seen one a large as a bowling ball tho. Ours are about softball size.

They are called hedge apples in Kentucky. Lots of people cut them in half and throw them in the crawl space under their house.

There's "wives tales" that the seeds or smell of the seeds drives bugs away. Supposedly, that's why they are put in closets, crawl spaces, etc.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:28 am

I can't say if the repellent idea was the actual reason, but my experience is I would do it again under the same conditions. At the time I was living in a mobile home when scorpions showed up. I was told to try the apple idea and I did as we had an abundance of them. Took 2 or 3 weeks and we stopped seeing them.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:20 pm

D2Cat wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

There's "wives tales" that the seeds or smell of the seeds drives bugs away. Supposedly, that's why they are put in closets, crawl spaces, etc.

Rodents love them though, so, i'm guessing its a tradeoff...
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:26 pm

ez14. wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:Slow. There are some fences that were built when this land was settled out of boise d arc post that are still in the gound. Last forever. People use them for foundation blocks for houses.. The trees are kind of a pain in the backside, they get thorns and also drop bowling ball sized horse apples..
a wooden hearth? Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?

There is rock far enough out where if a coal comes out it hits the rock. BUt, occasionally, we do get one onto the wood. Never left a burn...Its so hard so even if a coal sat on it, all it would do is make a mark if anything.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:30 pm

There are folks around here who say a slice of hedge Apple per day will put cancer in remission.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:35 pm

So is it the actual physical exercise of slicing the hedge apple that wards off the cancer?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:36 pm

Bright Raven wrote:There are folks around here who say a slice of hedge Apple per day will put cancer in remission.

By eating it?
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”