So Long, My Old Friend

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
boondocks
GURU
GURU

Re: So Long, My Old Friend

Postby boondocks » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:32 am

It's very weird not to log into CT and see his posts. Anyone else feeling the same way? :(
5 x

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:48 am

boondocks wrote:It's very weird not to log into CT and see his posts. Anyone else feeling the same way? :(

Almost daily. Monday, I had driven down to Springfield, MO, and as I was driving near where he lived, I sure was thinking a lot of him. Never had the chance to meet him, but sure wish I would have.
1 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:35 pm

boondocks wrote:It's very weird not to log into CT and see his posts. Anyone else feeling the same way? :(

9 post a day average, it was hard not to see a post from Dun.
3 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

melking
GURU
GURU

Postby melking » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Not quite a month since we received the news about Dun. I did not know him, had never talked to him but for some reason I can't seem to get the sadness and feeling of loss out of my head. I do not think this is a natural reaction and wondered if anyone else was having similar thoughts?
4 x
One thing you will never hear a southern boy say....Duct tape won't fix that, except, even duct tape can't fix stupid. It can, however, muffle it.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:37 pm

melking wrote:Not quite a month since we received the news about Dun. I did not know him, had never talked to him but for some reason I can't seem to get the sadness and feeling of loss out of my head. I do not think this is a natural reaction and wondered if anyone else was having similar thoughts?

I think these are new times we are living in, when a person can feel like they travelled a bit along life's road even without having met someone. So, yes, I think sadness and a feeling of loss are natural....especially for a guy who was easy to like and so far as I ever saw, tried hard to treat everyone fairly...
2 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:59 pm

melking wrote:Not quite a month since we received the news about Dun. I did not know him, had never talked to him but for some reason I can't seem to get the sadness and feeling of loss out of my head. I do not think this is a natural reaction and wondered if anyone else was having similar thoughts?

His spirit lives on. ;-)
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:57 pm

boondocks wrote:

I think these are new times we are living in, when a person can feel like they travelled a bit along life's road even without having met someone. So, yes, I think sadness and a feeling of loss are natural....especially for a guy who was easy to like and so far as I ever saw, tried hard to treat everyone fairly...

I have had that feeling now for nearly a month. Wondering how to put into words. A man I never met yet I knew him for over 15 years. I never talked to him yet I referred to him as my friend. We lived thousands of miles apart but learned that we were raised about 30 miles from each other. In the past we hunted and fished in some of the same areas. It is still difficult to put it all into words. But every time I open the Coffee Shop and see this thread I think of him.
4 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:25 pm

boondocks wrote:

Don was indeed easy to like. He was one of those rare people that you knew in your heart that he was a person with some substance. Users here don't know but he had some contact with me. I never, ever contacted him except on behalf of TT because I respected him too much to put him in an uncomfortable position. He got upset with me a couple times and he let me know that too. He ask me a couple times about snakes. Don was an advocate for the natural world. One time when he knew I was going to Missouri, he told Kris or maybe he told me, I cannot remember that I should stop by.

I did in fact ask him if TT could come back with his old user name. It was precious the way he replied. He said, tell him to try to log in but he better cut out the crap. He said he would unlock his old account. It worked.

I would bet my last dime, he had a heart of gold.
4 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:14 am

Dave wrote:
boondocks wrote:

I have had that feeling now for nearly a month. Wondering how to put into words. A man I never met yet I knew him for over 15 years. I never talked to him yet I referred to him as my friend. We lived thousands of miles apart but learned that we were raised about 30 miles from each other. In the past we hunted and fished in some of the same areas. It is still difficult to put it all into words. But every time I open the Coffee Shop and see this thread I think of him.

Yup. The last time I was at Don's house was back in December. I can still see him standing in the driveway in his old blue flannel shirt, green ball cap and dirty jeans waving goodbye and turning to go inside as I drove away.
6 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:15 pm

greatgerts wrote:

Almost daily. Monday, I had driven down to Springfield, MO, and as I was driving near where he lived, I sure was thinking a lot of him. Never had the chance to meet him, but sure wish I would have.
Same here a couple of weeks ago when I went to get clover seed in nixa. I don't know exactly where he lived but I know I was close.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:27 pm

I got ready to pm him a week or so out of natural instinct... That sucked
3 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:22 am

Go over to the photo contest thread and you can see dun and all his family again, lounging around the house wearing matching lounging PJ's. AND....it won the photo contest. :clap: :clap:

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=113488
2 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:17 pm

...and a young Don

5 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:34 pm

Wonderful pic Alison! Thanks for posting it.
1 x

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:01 pm

He really was a great person.
1 x
Be decisive, wether right or wrong.
The road of life is paved with many flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

Return to “Coffee Shop”