Age Limit on Social Media

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.

Should a person be at least 18 years old to use social media?

YES
27%
NO
68%
You should have to take a class, pass a test, and be certified.
5%

Total votes: 37

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Age Limit on Social Media

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:28 pm

I'm not talking about 50 years ago... I'm talking about right now... today... are 13, 15, 17 year old kids mature enough to handle alcohol, tobacco, purchasing guns, and social media?

The reason I ask is in the thread about the school shooting most people agreed parents were not doing their job... not paying enough attention, not disciplining their kids enough, not monitoring their friends.

So FF... here we are... now people are saying it's the parents job not the government.

So which is it... are parents doing their job or not?
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Probably are not 'doing their job' and plenty of young people aren't mature enough to use the things you listed but there are lots of adults (even on this board) that evidently, aren't mature enough to handle social media either; otherwise, we wouldn't have locked threads.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:19 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I'm not talking about 50 years ago... I'm talking about right now... today... are 13, 15, 17 year old kids mature enough to handle alcohol, tobacco, purchasing guns, and social media?

The reason I ask is in the thread about the school shooting most people agreed parents were not doing their job... not paying enough attention, not disciplining their kids enough, not monitoring their friends.

So FF... here we are... now people are saying it's the parents job not the government.

Great question and reasoning, I don't like government in my stuff but it definitely has it's place. I think you proved that Brute. :tiphat:
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I'm not talking about 50 years ago... I'm talking about right now... today... are 13, 15, 17 year old kids mature enough to handle alcohol, tobacco, purchasing guns, and social media?

There would be a lot of 'turnover' as government-mandated regulation has been around so long in place of personal responsibility. The generations have gotten progressively dumber as government seeks to protect them from themselves. Can't even let drug addicts overdose and die in the back alley anymore, government has to 'save' them and give them 'safe injection sites' so they can continue their cyclical journey.
2 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:11 pm

I believe a good portion of parents ARE doing their job. When you objectively look at the number of schools in this nation in comparison to the number of shooting events that have occurred, it just isnt the 'epidemic' our media would have you believe. I'm certain that social media is an area that most parents need to be more involved in pertaining to their children because it is THEIR responsibility; whether they are doing it or not.
It is the parents job and many probably are not doing their job. One thing I am certain of though, more govt intervention is not the solution. Rarely does govt involvement improve family matters.(that's my personal opinion) Due to the bureaucracy, financial waste, poor leadership, and the long term impact on society. Seems often time, we promote govt programs to solve 'our' problems and the result is worse than what we started with. Think SS, welfare, education loans/grants, federal reserve, on and on it goes.

Recently, weren't you and I discussing net neutrality and you were NOT in favor of govt regulation there?
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:24 pm

I hate to leave problem without offering a possible solution.
My solution:
Parents gain control of their homes, accept the responsibility they have elected to produce. Our society, as a whole, needs to toughen up and stop being so d*mend fragile and cease looking for a handout or bailout at every turn. Stop looking for all the reasons we disagree and find some common ground. We have spent so much time focusing on topics that only impact a small percentage of the population(gay marriage, legalize marijuana, transgender, the circus that is our political arena) while in our own homes, we don't put near the energy into what matters. Namely, raising children to be healthy, functioning members of society that can think, create, problem solve, etc.
Why? Because it's easier to buy a $400 cell phone, laptop, game system and let that item, through the internet, raise them. It's much more work to engage a child; do the hard shyt, like discipline, converse, explain, spend time and be in their day to day business. Like our grandparents used to do...
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:52 pm

I believe a good portion of parents ARE doing their job. When you objectively look at the number of schools in this nation in comparison to the number of shooting events that have occurred, it just isnt the 'epidemic' our media would have you believe.

Brings up the old questions...........
"Just how many cows does it take to make a stampede Earl..more than 2...3 or more?"
and
"How many barbarians does it take to quantify as a horde?"

The relevant question tho, is: "How many school shoot ups is too many?
The only reasonable answer is '1'.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:00 pm

greybeard wrote:
I believe a good portion of parents ARE doing their job. When you objectively look at the number of schools in this nation in comparison to the number of shooting events that have occurred, it just isnt the 'epidemic' our media would have you believe.

"Just how many cows does it take to make a stampede Earl..more than 2...3 or more?"
and

The school attack is nothing new in our history. I forget the Indian War in the East happened in the 1700’s massacred all killed but one or two.
It was a soft target then as today.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:03 pm

I honestly don't think parents are purposely trying to hurt their children. Social media is very new to our society as a whole. We really don't know the long term effects.

I am the age that played in the streets of the neighborhood but had social media as a teenager. The break is + or - a couple years of me. There is a huge difference between the two age groups. In fact there is talk of splitting the "millenial" name tag along that line because of the difference.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:10 pm

greybeard wrote:

and

Or how many kids need to overdose on heroin? Die in a drunk driving accident? Be abused? Die at the hands of gang violence? The answer is always NONE. The point is, media is sensationalizing these fairly low percentage occurrences(when compared to other deadly higher percentage problems kids face) because they have an agenda. Grabbing assault rifles will not stop this. This country is past that now. These kids are committing acts of terror on one another. That will not be reversed now. You guys like to call it 'closing the barn after the horse is already out.' Society has shifted and will continue to shift. The only constant is change...this one is not for the better.
Last edited by bball on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ccr
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ccr » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:12 pm

45 years ago when I was in high school a bunch of folks had guns on a rack in their pickups. We never had any problems with guns at school.

What was different then, than now other than social media?
1 x
clark cattle ranch
happiness is healthy cattle

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:14 pm

ccr wrote:45 years ago when I was in high school a bunch of folks had guns on a rack in their pickups. We never had any problems with guns at school.

24 hour media cycle I wouldn’t call it news goes with it.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
ccr wrote:45 years ago when I was in high school a bunch of folks had guns on a rack in their pickups. We never had any problems with guns at school.

24 hour media cycle I wouldn’t call it news goes with it.

Along with societal norms, mores and values...
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:23 pm

I was in high school 52 years ago. Pendleton County High. You had to get written permission to drive to School versus using the School Bus. Even in rural Kentucky, you could not bring a gun to School. I can only guess it was that way in other counties.

What was different other than social media? Most of us didn't have access to anything but a single barrel shotgun and a single shot .22 bolt action rifle. I remember seeing my first pump action shotgun. They were uncommon. Now, kids have uzis before they start school. When they turn 16 they have 50 caliber machine guns on jacked up pickups that look like tanks.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:29 pm

For a bunch of folks that hate more government this is surprising.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Return to “Coffee Shop”