Home Depot

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
HDRider
GURU
GURU

Home Depot

Postby HDRider » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:22 am

Home Depot announced Thursday that it will donate $50 million to train 20,000 people as construction workers over the next decade, helping efforts to ease a dire shortage that’s curtailing home building and driving up house prices.

The Home Builders Institute, the industry’s education arm, will use the money from the Home Depot Foundation to train veterans and U.S. Army soldiers who will soon be returning to civilian life, high school students and disadvantaged youth.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 403659002/
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Home Depot

Postby greybeard » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:25 pm

I know some 30-40 yr old folks from other sites on the internet, that the 1st thing they need to learn is how to use a dang square and a level. Maybe HBI can help them too.
$50 million is a pretty good chunk of change to focus on construction training, as long as it is used wisely and effectively.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:40 pm

greybeard wrote:I know some 30-40 yr old folks from other sites on the internet, that the 1st thing they need to learn is how to use a dang square and a level. Maybe HBI can help them too.
$50 million is a pretty good chunk of change to focus on construction training, as long as it is used wisely and effectively.

grunt workers are getting scarce as hens teeth,,not many of the younger gen.. Taking up where the older ones are retiring from..I think what was said years ago when the older folks said """I don't want my kids having too work as hard as I did"""was taken to heart..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:34 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
greybeard wrote:I know some 30-40 yr old folks from other sites on the internet, that the 1st thing they need to learn is how to use a dang square and a level. Maybe HBI can help them too.

grunt workers are getting scarce as hens teeth,,not many of the younger gen.. Taking up where the older ones are retiring from..I think what was said years ago when the older folks said """I don't want my kids having too work as hard as I did"""was taken to heart..

We are in the process of remodeling a home. Tried several contractors in the area. Some showed up and never came back. Finally one showed and we agreed to do the work. I live about 100 miles from Dallas. Concrete Mexican workers. Framing Mexican crew. Painting Mexican crew. Electricians Mexican crew. Plumbing a local crew. All of the Mexican crews came from Dallas each day. They all pretty well knew how to do the jobs required of them.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:28 pm

hurleyjd wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:

We are in the process of remodeling a home. Tried several contractors in the area. Some showed up and never came back. Finally one showed and we agreed to do the work. I live about 100 miles from Dallas. Concrete Mexican workers. Framing Mexican crew. Painting Mexican crew. Electricians Mexican crew. Plumbing a local crew. All of the Mexican crews came from Dallas each day. They all pretty well knew how to do the jobs required of them.
and they work like fire ants when their doing it.. No wonder they eat like there's no tomorrow..when they break to lunch they pile it on..take a siesta..then right back at it..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:25 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote: grunt workers are getting scarce as hens teeth,,not many of the younger gen.. Taking up where the older ones are retiring from..I think what was said years ago when the older folks said """I don't want my kids having too work as hard as I did"""was taken to heart..

and they work like fire ants when their doing it.. No wonder they eat like there's no tomorrow..when they break to lunch they pile it on..take a siesta..then right back at it..

They take pride in their work and you'll never have to go looking for them when their break is over.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Too bad they opened their mouth and got on the anti-gun train.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:06 pm

hurleyjd wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:

I hung 8 sheets of sheetrock overhead on my remodel. I haven't done that in several years. I got a bid and decided to let them run with it. In the end all I did was spray paint and composite flooring. A little trim.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:10 pm

Several years ago they were doing a church build. I showed up with compressors, nail guns, saws, and all the gear. They were using a speed square to mark boards and then trying to cut on that line with a skillsaw. Couldn't believe these old timers had actually built churches. I decided to leave early afternoon. Two days later that whole structure fell. It is one of those times you wish you didn't have to say, "I told you so" but they needed bracing. Those old retirees told some stories about other builds they had done. I guess they just got lucky. I hate stick framing - with a passion. Better off to put braces on and not need them
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:28 am

can't even find someone to paint a wall right around here.. let alone do something else.

you can thank.. "WE GOTTA SEND THEM TO COLLEGE" message of the school systems for this..
They portray 'trades' as low class, poor people jobs.
0 x

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:05 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:They were using a speed square to mark boards and then trying to cut on that line with a skillsaw.

Wow, I know I haven't been around a framing crew in a while but I had no idea that squares and skillsaws were for "Old Timers". They just use sliding miter saws now?
0 x

haase
Rancher
Rancher

Postby haase » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 pm

We still use speed squares and framing squares, I think it's a good thing that home depot is putting money back in the construction trades for training, this is a industry that needs it.
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:13 pm

ddd75 wrote:can't even find someone to paint a wall right around here.. let alone do something else.

you can thank.. "WE GOTTA SEND THEM TO COLLEGE" message of the school systems for this..
They portray 'trades' as low class, poor people jobs.

The majority of kids leaving high need to be ready to go to work right after they leave, but yet hardly any are.
All through high school in the regular core class, all I ever heard was "you need to know this for college". Only in the shop, and ag classes did I learn what I need to know for life.
It's no wonder I only had c's and b's in core classes, and straight a's in shop, and ag.
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:27 pm

ChrisB wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:They were using a speed square to mark boards and then trying to cut on that line with a skillsaw.

Wow, I know I haven't been around a framing crew in a while but I had no idea that squares and skillsaws were for "Old Timers". They just use sliding miter saws now?

I wondered about that too. I've done a lot of framing with a speed square and a Skil saw. As far as I know none of it has fallen down.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:11 pm

We have schools to learn to cut hair, put on make-up and cook.
I don't see why anyone would raise a eyebrow to a school on construction.

Edit to add.. anyone that knowingly hires wetbacks is a cheat and a criminal.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Return to “Coffee Shop”