Here we go again

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Here we go again

Postby greybeard » Wed May 23, 2018 8:16 am

TexasBred wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:From what I have read the Texas shooter wore a trench coat and army boots to school on more than one occasion. That's not normal and every one knew it, but did nothing about it. I guess I profile because anything or anyone out of the ordinary gets my full undivided attention.

Grit we all have "first impressions" and we're also often wrong. My nieces husband wears faded blue overalls about 95% of the time with a Green Bay Packers jersey underneath it and a pair of white tennis shoes. Hair is long in the back like Ben Franklins. He is really a sight. But when he walks into the court room nobody laughs at him because he's one of the best lawyers around and worth many many millions of dollars and has a heart as big as Dallas. But first impression you want to keep an eye on him.

TB, go scroll thru the CT Family Photo album....If that doesn't often look like a Rogue's Gallery (myself included) I don't know what is.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed May 23, 2018 8:58 am

greybeard wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:From what I have read the Texas shooter wore a trench coat and army boots to school on more than one occasion. That's not normal and every one knew it, but did nothing about it. I guess I profile because anything or anyone out of the ordinary gets my full undivided attention.

Grit we all have "first impressions" and we're also often wrong. My nieces husband wears faded blue overalls about 95% of the time with a Green Bay Packers jersey underneath it and a pair of white tennis shoes. Hair is long in the back like Ben Franklins. He is really a sight. But when he walks into the court room nobody laughs at him because he's one of the best lawyers around and worth many many millions of dollars and has a heart as big as Dallas. But first impression you want to keep an eye on him.

TB, go scroll thru the CT Family Photo album....If that doesn't often look like a Rogue's Gallery (myself included) I don't know what is.

hahaha...I know what you mean. A few of "us" are down right scary.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

haase
Rancher
Rancher

Postby haase » Wed May 23, 2018 11:19 am

Not an argument boondocks, just my observation, have been in the construction business for over 35 years, own my own business and have two crews, 30 years ago it was a lot easier hiring young kids than it is today, we had our dealer meeting this year in Indiana, one of the speakers talked about hiring and working with millennials, that you have to spend more time with them, work on building their confidence and not be so hard on them, just a few things that he talked about.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed May 23, 2018 11:26 am

haase wrote:Not an argument boondocks, just my observation, have been in the construction business for over 35 years, own my own business and have two crews, 30 years ago it was a lot easier hiring young kids than it is today, we had our dealer meeting this year in Indiana, one of the speakers talked about hiring and working with millennials, that you have to spend more time with them, work on building their confidence and not be so hard on them, just a few things that he talked about.

Sure hope nobody yelled "BOO".
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed May 23, 2018 11:32 am

haase wrote:Not an argument boondocks, just my observation, have been in the construction business for over 35 years, own my own business and have two crews, 30 years ago it was a lot easier hiring young kids than it is today, we had our dealer meeting this year in Indiana, one of the speakers talked about hiring and working with millennials, that you have to spend more time with them, work on building their confidence and not be so hard on them, just a few things that he talked about.

What's funny, though, isn't that how you should treat cattle? Humans are animals, whether we all like to admit that or not. What differentiates us is a larger cerebral cortex. When working cattle, the more gentle you are, the better the experience they have. So, wouldn't that work for humans, too? I'd rather be a boss that's respected and liked that gets good results than one that's feared but gets good results. That being said, some folks just can't take any criticism and others are just unwilling to work. Unfortunately, we can't cull the herd like we do with cows.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Wed May 23, 2018 12:03 pm

I don't know if that is really anything specific about millennials or more just the fact there are more opportunities today than it the past. What the speaker said about millennials would be the same for hiring a 40-50 year old without experience. If you don't feel appreciated at your job and are continually getting yelled at, why would anyone stick around? There are a lot of jobs out there that pay well. It would probably be different if good paying jobs were hard to come by. Empoyee's really have the upper hand for the moment.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Wed May 23, 2018 12:57 pm

We have the same meetings in healthcare. It has forced me to be more careful with my interactions. The 3 things you listed are verbatim topics discussed. Some of the 40+ folks in one of the meetings were quick to scoff or dismiss these points and were promptly rebuked by executive leadership...basically, "like it or not, this is the world we live in now so deal with it or find employment elsewhere."
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

haase
Rancher
Rancher

Postby haase » Wed May 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Pretty much what we were told bball, communication is different and they need more boost to build their confidence, I learned to change over the years but how far does it go, and were does the desire not to live and go kill a bunch of your classmates come from just because things in life don't go your way?
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed May 23, 2018 11:04 pm

I think we're talking about 2 different hings--to me, anyway. I think whether younger folks today are "entitled" or lazy or some such is a different question than: why are we having mass homicides? I like evidence, not anecdote, to answer this sort of question. It's a very important thing for us to get to the bottom of. We need to stop deciding we can't handle research on gun violence and therefore can't do it. I think (hope!) we're smart enough to really look at this in a clear-eyed kind of way, and not just fall back into tribalist arguments of "guns good, young people bad" (or vice versa).
I still have not heard an answer to the question: what evidence is there that not being John-Wayne-tough on a kid will make him a mass shooter?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 am

boondocks wrote:I think we're talking about 2 different hings--to me, anyway. I think whether younger folks today are "entitled" or lazy or some such is a different question than: why are we having mass homicides? I like evidence, not anecdote, to answer this sort of question. It's a very important thing for us to get to the bottom of. We need to stop deciding we can't handle research on gun violence and therefore can't do it. I think (hope!) we're smart enough to really look at this in a clear-eyed kind of way, and not just fall back into tribalist arguments of "guns good, young people bad" (or vice versa).
I still have not heard an answer to the question: what evidence is there that not being John-Wayne-tough on a kid will make him a mass shooter?

I agree.

The evidence that the parenting of children is the primary cause of mass school shootings does not even meet the anecdotal threshold. It is loose commentary at best.

Every generation - my grandfather, my dad, me, my son - all lamented the decline in parenting. Perhaps it has. Maybe it has gone down hill since George Washington made that statement "I cannot tell a lie, I cut down the cherry tree". But only an infinitesimal percent of the kids ever carry out a mass school shooting or even a single school shooting.

In my opinion, it is a mental malfunction, INHERENT, in these deranged shooters. If it were a function of poor parenting, then half the kids would have the defect. If you want anecdotal evidence, then anecdotally, there should be more mass school shootings when in fact, there are no more today than there has been for the last 100 years on a per capita basis.

It is a sorry state of affairs when both political sides use such heinous acts to promote their political agendas.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu May 24, 2018 1:56 pm

You can not legislate morality.
Secondly giving up your civil liberties in the guise of safety as Franklin said you end up with neither.
This is not an issue of telling you how you have to live in your house,if it is we are no longer a Republic.
There has been the outliers since the beginning of time .
The sensible solution is to harden our schools and look for ways to address the mental issues of the outliers.
The experiment of inclusion of all in our school systems has failed.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:You can not legislate morality.

Agree. But that don't keep the radical Christian Right from trying!

This is not an issue of telling you how you have to live in your house,if it is we are no longer a Republic.

To some on both sides, it IS.

There has been the outliers since the beginning of time . The sensible solution is to harden our schools and look for ways to address the mental issues of the outliers.

I agree

0 x
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu May 24, 2018 6:46 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

There has been the outliers since the beginning of time . The sensible solution is to harden our schools and look for ways to address the mental issues of the outliers.

I agree

You don’t think the immoral left isn’t tying to drive the bus off the cliff?
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 24, 2018 6:58 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I agree

You don’t think the immoral left isn’t tying to drive the bus off the cliff?

The radical component of the left is as misguided as the radical right!
0 x
Diogenes.

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu May 24, 2018 7:01 pm

boondocks wrote: many/most of these mass shooters appear to be narcissistic sociopaths--no conscience or what we would think of a normal ethics code. Give them the internet to fuel themselves with crazy ideas; ready access to guns/ammo; a culture that reveres violence and militarism; and family/community that are woefully unprepared to recognize how sick/twisted they are.

This sums it up quite well. Good post.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

Return to “Coffee Shop”