Farm Labor Shortage

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Farm Labor Shortage

Postby jehosofat » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:59 pm

When the cheap labor runs out, the price of what farms produce will go up. The strong will survive, the weak will get out. Pretty basic if you ask me.
1 x

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:08 am

jehosofat wrote:When the cheap labor runs out, the price of what farms produce will go up. The strong will survive, the weak will get out. Pretty basic if you ask me.

Farmers don't usually set the price.
Do you mean that when cheap labor runs out production will decrease and shortage will cause the price to go up?
1 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:43 am

"The gov't needs to stop all these subsidy payments too"

And would you believe that a lot of us including me are subsidizing our operations with outside employment and pensions and investments. I had a diary farm many years ago and in that time when milk prices went high everyone bought and milked more cows and when milk prices plummeted they milked more cows to keep the cash flow up makes sense to any one. We also had government run marketing plans that were supposed to keep milk available and balanced to keep the farmer in business. As long as the value of your farm was going up the banks would keep loaning you money. I finally quit when the wife's salary was needing to be used about every other month to pay the feed bill.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:03 am

Personally I don't know who's worse, the illegal or the person that hires them. Any business that hires illegals off the books are crooks and just taking advantage of people and the system. The truth is we need the illegals because the government has enabled the uneducated to live of the educated.
3 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:46 am

Most of them tho give the employer a SSN# and they pay taxes, I see them at H&R Block. They are in there for 5 min! They don't try to throw up any red flags. I'd be willing to bet most don't get a return. Now us legal American's work all year on paperwork to avoid taxes!
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:01 am

Some invest a lot of money to avoid labor. Robots, rock pickers, wrappers, grain carts... Then they go bigger to spread the overhead. Makes you wonder what the goal is.
1 x
Stocker Steve

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:07 am

3 pgs later, it's obvious the answer to all these problems is MORE illegals.
More illegals will depress labor costs even more, and as they become educated, those and their offspring will certainly branch more and more into non-farm/non-construction jobs. Soon enough, it won't cost much above material costs to build a house or get your hay baled or get you truck fixed or get your heart bypass surgery or send your kids to college......... :roll:
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:14 am

Till-Hill wrote:Most of them tho give the employer a SSN# and they pay taxes, I see them at H&R Block. They are in there for 5 min! They don't try to throw up any red flags. I'd be willing to bet most don't get a return. Now us legal American's work all year on paperwork to avoid taxes!

Not so much anymore.. used to it would take a year two before you where audited over employees with counterfeit documents. We pay in every mouth. Now with computers it takes about 30 days before you get a letter from the IRS if something doesn't match up.
Same with back child support. About 30 days and the Texas attorney general will send a letter telling me how much to deduct from a employees check. I have no choice but to be both a contractor and a tax collector. The tax collector job doesn't pay very well. And
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:17 am

I don't doubt you either. I know couple of my buddies have them hired. They got a # anyway and 3-4 years into it everything still jives. Maybe they are legal? Kids go to school with ours. Very good kids. Quiet and very respectful.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:18 am

greybeard wrote:3 pgs later, it's obvious the answer to all these problems is MORE illegals.

Not obvious at all. I am not reading any "answers". What I am reading is more descriptive of the current "state of affairs".

As they say, identify the problem - then solve it. BTW: I don't have the statistics but anecdotally, a lot of the Mexican labor here are not illegals. The fence crew working for Kevin have been here about 20 years. Some said they have never been back to Mexico and don't have any contact. It just turns out that Mexican labor is usually better than the local young white guys.
1 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:24 am

Bright Raven wrote:
greybeard wrote:3 pgs later, it's obvious the answer to all these problems is MORE illegals.

Not obvious at all. I am not reading any "answers". What I am reading is more descriptive of the current "state of affairs".

As they say, identify the problem - then solve it. BTW: I don't have the statistics but anecdotally, a lot of the Mexican labor here are not illegals. The fence crew working for Kevin have been here about 20 years. Some said they have never been back to Mexico and don't have any contact. It just turns out that Mexican labor is usually better than the local young white guys.

Solution.....if your grandfather wasn't born here. You gotta go.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:28 am

There is a labor shortage in my operation. It is me I just cannot do as much as when I was younger.
3 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:31 am

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Solution.....if your grandfather wasn't born here. You gotta go.

Ok, GB. Now we got our first answer. Ha Ha. That one will not fly and you know it.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:11 am

the solution is In the prisons . have the farmers pay the armed guards and use hard labor to gather the crops. Simple and effective. If they run shoot their AZZ .
4 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:18 am

a lot of the illegals are working under legal Mexican foremans """that can speak English' that pay them pennies on the dollar..and live in the suburbs..especially some of the migrate workers... Like the gal that bring around chip and salsa can't speak a work of English and just giggles when you talk to them...
0 x
a liberal is a man, that will give away everything he doesn't own..

Return to “Coffee Shop”