Yellowstone tv series

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Yellowstone tv series

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:36 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I saw several rigs in the background during multiple scenes. I hear that's pretty lucrative.

I’d say you’re right. I’ve limited knowledge but I think that’s kinda hit and miss. If it were my ranch.... I’d miss. I’ve heard some stories about ranches with good wells that involved some real big numbers. Also heard some stories about windmills that didn’t sound to bad. Guess it comes down to right place, right time, taking a chance, and a little luck.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:43 pm

Dave wrote:
They are still profitable to those who are good business men and women. I could name off a number of people who started with nothing leased land, worked hard and built a ranch. The guy I leased my ranch to is in his early 40's. He started with nothing but a work ethic and cow sense. Today he is running about 500-600 head.

I have no doubt. You can start from nothing. I did. But I still don’t have much. But I’ve got enough. And I’ve got more than I deserve. I was kinda going a step above to the kind of operation portrayed in the show. Like South Fork. Helicopters, a ranch the size of Rhode Island, super fancy ranch houses, barns, state of the art stables, fleets of atvs, and all the trimmings. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I think it’s awesome. But IF you were to try to build that today I don’t believe you could ever reach that level without money coming from an outside source.
2 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:46 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Dave wrote:
They are still profitable to those who are good business men and women. I could name off a number of people who started with nothing leased land, worked hard and built a ranch. The guy I leased my ranch to is in his early 40's. He started with nothing but a work ethic and cow sense. Today he is running about 500-600 head.

I have no doubt. You can start from nothing. I did. But I still don’t have much. But I’ve got enough. And I’ve got more than I deserve. I was kinda going a step above to the kind of operation portrayed in the show. Like South Fork. Helicopters, a ranch the size of Rhode Island, super fancy ranch houses, barns, state of the art stables, fleets of atvs, and all the trimmings. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I think it’s awesome. But IF you were to try to build that today I don’t believe you could ever reach that level without money coming from an outside source.

The word cartel comes to mind ;-)
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Valid point Brad. Drugs, Energy, Technology.... that’s where the money is.
1 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:46 pm

From what I see very few people get started in the cattle biz and make it big without any outside help. Most young people that get in have family land or Dad has cows and can help with equipment until young people get on thier feet. I would say it would be nearly impossible to get a spread like the ones portrayed on TV if you started from nothing. I’m not saying you couldn’t gather up a couple thousand acres, enough cows to stock it, nice equipment, and a nice house but it would take several decades and more hard work than most people are willing to do now days. The stuff portrayed on TV is just that TV.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:36 pm

I know and know of several people with ranches who have planes. It seems to be split 50/50. Half have outside money and fly in to enjoy their ranch. Their money came from construction, medicine, and the entertainment world. They enjoy the life style but not the day to day. The others live so far out in the middle of nowhere that a small plane just allows them to get around. Most on here don't live the kind of remote that exists in some western ranch areas. The ranch my wife had on the Nevada/Oregon border was a two hour drive one way to the nearest grocery store or doctor. It was 25 miles each way to take the grand kids to meet the school bus. So 50 miles in the morning and 50 miles again to pick them up in the afternoon. People living that far from anything often get a small plane.
I don't know of anyone who owns a helicopter. That is a specialized piece of equipment that takes a specialized pilot to fly it. But I do know of people who charter one to do a specific job for them. I take that back I know a Christmas tree farmer who has a helicopter. His son (who played T ball for me) is the pilot. They use it to spray the trees and to fly the trees out of the fields at harvest time.
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:52 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
ga.prime wrote:Lol, because you never hear that kind of talk in real life.

Hear it? Yes. Invite it into my home? Never.

To each his own.

I agree. I hear it mostly in movies, but It’s not used in my circle of friends.
1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:43 pm

Dave wrote:I know and know of several people with ranches who have planes. It seems to be split 50/50. Half have outside money and fly in to enjoy their ranch. Their money came from construction, medicine, and the entertainment world. They enjoy the life style but not the day to day. The others live so far out in the middle of nowhere that a small plane just allows them to get around. Most on here don't live the kind of remote that exists in some western ranch areas. The ranch my wife had on the Nevada/Oregon border was a two hour drive one way to the nearest grocery store or doctor. It was 25 miles each way to take the grand kids to meet the school bus. So 50 miles in the morning and 50 miles again to pick them up in the afternoon. People living that far from anything often get a small plane.
I don't know of anyone who owns a helicopter. That is a specialized piece of equipment that takes a specialized pilot to fly it. But I do know of people who charter one to do a specific job for them. I take that back I know a Christmas tree farmer who has a helicopter. His son (who played T ball for me) is the pilot. They use it to spray the trees and to fly the trees out of the fields at harvest time.

Planes are cheap. Those big helicopters are not.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Dave wrote:I know and know of several people with ranches who have planes. It seems to be split 50/50. Half have outside money and fly in to enjoy their ranch. Their money came from construction, medicine, and the entertainment world. They enjoy the life style but not the day to day. The others live so far out in the middle of nowhere that a small plane just allows them to get around. Most on here don't live the kind of remote that exists in some western ranch areas. The ranch my wife had on the Nevada/Oregon border was a two hour drive one way to the nearest grocery store or doctor. It was 25 miles each way to take the grand kids to meet the school bus. So 50 miles in the morning and 50 miles again to pick them up in the afternoon. People living that far from anything often get a small plane.

Planes are cheap. Those big helicopters are not.

Many are leased, but a big cost either way is in the FAA required engine & airframe maintenance and inspections.
Need an engine? A turboshaft engine for a civilian UH1e can run 6 figures. So can a Lycoming piston engine.
Ouchita can tell you all about that...he's in that business I believe.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:01 am

You can do all those things if you're this guy:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/rams-o ... os-angeles

Or you're this guy:
http://www.riverbendranch.us/

A couple of years ago we had the opportunity to have our land searched for natural gas. We passed. Maybe if I had a few thousand acres and didn't care about a certain corner of I'd be OK with it, but probably not. Money only goes so far.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
A couple of years ago we had the opportunity to have our land searched for natural gas. We passed. Maybe if I had a few thousand acres and didn't care about a certain corner of I'd be OK with it, but probably not. Money only goes so far.

You hould have gone ahead and done it. A gas well is little more invasive than a water well. Bonus money, plus royalties plus pipeline easements can add up to huge amounts depending on the quality of the wells.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:53 pm

In other news, my tv quit working. Think I inadvertently pressed the wrong button.
1 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:08 pm

ga.prime wrote:In other news, my tv quit working. Think I inadvertently pressed the wrong button.

That’s a catastrophe. I’ve got one of those old timey little bitty black and white ones that I will rent you.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:17 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
ga.prime wrote:In other news, my tv quit working. Think I inadvertently pressed the wrong button.

That’s a catastrophe. I’ve got one of those old timey little bitty black and white ones that I will rent you.

Thanks, but I'll just wait on some of the younger generation to come back around and straighten it out. Hopefully by the time college football season kicks off.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:28 pm

ga.prime wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

Thanks, but I'll just wait on some of the younger generation to come back around and straighten it out. Hopefully by the time college football season kicks off.

I will be back down your way next week. If you’re around I will take a look at it for you. All jokes aside, missing college football is completely unacceptable.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”