Millennial's are going to see it rough...........

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Millennial's are going to see it rough...........

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:18 am

bball wrote:You know, the cell phone thing is kinda funny. A few years back, it was our hospital policy that you did not use your cell phone while on duty. Somewhere along the way, it ceased being enforced. I suspect it had something to do with exec leadership also having the inability to refrain from using theirs...im certain none of them are millennials. I still put mine in my desk drawer when i clock in. Figure anyone that needs to reach me in the middle of the noc knows where i am.

I don’t know if today’s cell phones are intrinsically safe or can be made so.
In my old job there was no toting one in hazardous areas period. That pretty much covered 1800 acres called a refinery.
2 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:47 am

best way to get ahold of me is my house phone and to leave a message.

i don't care for the phone much and what really makes me mad is when people messaage and you don't respond right away.. I don't live on my phone like you, it may take me a few hours or even days to respond. I actually work.
2 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:40 pm

bball wrote:You know, the cell phone thing is kinda funny. A few years back, it was our hospital policy that you did not use your cell phone while on duty. Somewhere along the way, it ceased being enforced. I suspect it had something to do with exec leadership also having the inability to refrain from using theirs...im certain none of them are millennials. I still put mine in my desk drawer when i clock in. Figure anyone that needs to reach me in the middle of the noc knows where i am.

When I was in school the would fine your parents for a kid having a cell phone on campus. Less than 10 years later they are encouraging kids to bring their "devices" and have special time set aside for them to play on them.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:42 pm

I prefer texting people than calling and leaving a voicemail... They get the text when they get it, they can put it off until it's convenient to reply.. and I hate checking voicemail
2 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:51 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:

I don’t know if today’s cell phones are intrinsically safe or can be made so.
In my old job there was no toting one in hazardous areas period. That pretty much covered 1800 acres called a refinery.

Most the ones you see are not but they do make them. We use them on locations. We have a policy to not have cell phones where vapors are present.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I see a lot of these negative articles about what millenialls are not doing get circulated but look up the articles on the high number of stokes and heart attacks in 30 year olds. They attribute it to millenials who have made it to managerial and supervisory type positions at a very early age.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Nesikep wrote:I prefer texting people than calling and leaving a voicemail... They get the text when they get it,

I have had people send me a text, and it took 3 to 4 days for the text to "arrive" on my phone. :|
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
Nesikep wrote:I prefer texting people than calling and leaving a voicemail... They get the text when they get it,

I have had people send me a text, and it took 3 to 4 days for the text to "arrive" on my phone. :|

I have bad cell service.. I usually get a text, but can't call my voicemail box or receive a call.

On MSN Messenger, I once sent my GF at the time a message saying I'll be over with my friend and his girlfriend.. This was in August.
She got the text half an hour before I was due to be at her parents place for THANKSGIVING dinner.. she was like "WTF is he bringing them over for?.. without asking or anything"... Yeah, that was not an instant message!
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:20 am

Brute 23 wrote:I see a lot of these negative articles about what millenialls are not doing get circulated but look up the articles on the high number of stokes and heart attacks in 30 year olds. They attribute it to millenials who have made it to managerial and supervisory type positions at a very early age.

Making it to managerial and supervisory positions in their 30s is considered 'early"?
For many decades, (most of my life anyway) supervisors and managers have often been recruited right out of 2 and 4 yr colleges.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:56 am

I didn't read the article, but from personal observation I think what gets many young couples in trouble (going back 20 years or so) is they want everything their parents had after working 30 years, but they want it now, not 30 years from now, and if someone will loan them the money they're going to get it.
2 x
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:59 am

Nesikep wrote:I prefer texting people than calling and leaving a voicemail... They get the text when they get it, they can put it off until it's convenient to reply.. and I hate checking voicemail

If you want to text me with something short that might be handled in one or two responses that's fine. If you want a conversation call me.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:16 am

Rafter S wrote:I didn't read the article, but from personal observation I think what gets many young couples in trouble (going back 20 years or so) is they want everything their parents had after working 30 years, but they want it now, not 30 years from now, and if someone will loan them the money they're going to get it.

winner winner chicken dinner!!!
(patience, is a virtue)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:41 am

It would really help if kids in college didn't major in psychology, art, business, ect...
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:56 am

shaz wrote:It would really help if kids in college didn't major in psychology, art, business, ect...

What is a good major? Around here psychology/social work with all the wasted gov. programs are some of the best jobs left. In business you have a wide field (accounting which I have a degree in, economics minor in, advertising, marketing, statistics, general administration, etc, etc etc.) That is were the money is at if you are willing to relocate.

I don't know what to tell a young kid to go into as what is good today may not be tomorrow.
Last edited by jltrent on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:57 am

greybeard wrote:
Rafter S wrote:I didn't read the article, but from personal observation I think what gets many young couples in trouble (going back 20 years or so) is they want everything their parents had after working 30 years, but they want it now, not 30 years from now, and if someone will loan them the money they're going to get it.

winner winner chicken dinner!!!
(patience, is a virtue)
+1
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”