What would happen

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

What would happen

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:06 am

What would happen if China who produces 90% of the rare earth minerals world wide shut the world off from these minerals. Would the other countries be able to ramp up production. Rare earth minerals are used in nearly everything such as compact starter for automobiles, colored TVs solar panels, wind powered generators. Chips for computers and cell phones. Anything else that comes to mind please post. Also China tied up all of the mineral rights in Afghanistan. Also a lot of minerals in Africa.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Re: What would happen

Postby ddd75 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:48 am

i thought most of that was mined by african slave children.
0 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:32 am

ddd75 wrote:i thought most of that was mined by african slave children.

Your thinking about cotton. :lol2:
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:55 am

What would happen: a global trade war, par excellence! The US and its allies would retaliate.

Why would they? They got the world right where they want them. I like their future!
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:02 am

I have heard this before. We have enough junk already with this in it to last forever if needed to reuse. We have this in the US, but our environmental agency keeps from allowing it to be mined because of the impact on the environment and would cost more for us to mine than to buy from China. Kinda like the oil, after fracking, shale oil, and ethanol got cheap enough we no longer need their oil.

https://www.ft.com/content/2c3dea3e-3fc ... 6b95f30f58

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/06/26/ ... tals-china
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:19 am

jltrent wrote:I have heard this before. We have enough junk already with this in it to last forever if needed to reuse. We have this in the US, but our environmental agency keeps from allowing it to be mined because of the impact on the environment and would cost more for us to mine than to buy from China. Kinda like the oil, after fracking, shale oil, and ethanol got cheap enough we no longer need their oil.

Trent: Environmental Agencies may be the armpit of all creation but they CANNOT LEGISLATE! Agencies of state and federal government can ONLY (legally) carry out the mandate of the legislatures of this great nation and its states. In my entire 33 year career with the federal civil service and limited time as a liaison to regulatory agencies in my capacity with Tesoro Coal Company, I am not aware of a single case where an agency acted on it's own authority to stop any mine or mining activity. What I think you mean is that the environmental agencies are authorized by legislative action to enforce the mandate of elected officials who may set aside certain areas from mining activity.

PS: I acknowledge that someone can dig up some fake news that says "EPA stops mining in Stinking Creek Canyon". If they did, it was under the authorities vested in them by legislative action.
0 x
Diogenes.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:28 am

Compensation would be made one way or another. Same shyte, different day.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:20 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
jltrent wrote:I have heard this before. We have enough junk already with this in it to last forever if needed to reuse. We have this in the US, but our environmental agency keeps from allowing it to be mined because of the impact on the environment and would cost more for us to mine than to buy from China. Kinda like the oil, after fracking, shale oil, and ethanol got cheap enough we no longer need their oil.

Trent: Environmental Agencies may be the armpit of all creation but they CANNOT LEGISLATE! Agencies of state and federal government can ONLY (legally) carry out the mandate of the legislatures of this great nation and its states. In my entire 33 year career with the federal civil service and limited time as a liaison to regulatory agencies in my capacity with Tesoro Coal Company, I am not aware of a single case where an agency acted on it's own authority to stop any mine or mining activity. What I think you mean is that the environmental agencies are authorized by legislative action to enforce the mandate of elected officials who may set aside certain areas from mining activity.

PS: I acknowledge that someone can dig up some fake news that says "EPA stops mining in Stinking Creek Canyon". If they did, it was under the authorities vested in them by legislative action.
The same thing I said, except you went into more detail and broke it down step by step.
Last edited by jltrent on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:24 pm

My point is: elected officials of both parties are responsible for removing lands from mining.
0 x
Diogenes.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Bright Raven wrote:My point is: elected officials of both parties are responsible for removing lands from mining.
Elected officials run our country, as I remember a former elected President that just about ruined the coal industry with the environmental people he put in place.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:39 pm

jltrent wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:My point is: elected officials of both parties are responsible for removing lands from mining.
Elected officials run our country, as I remember a former elected President that just about ruined the coal industry with the environmental people he put in place.

It was and is a function of economics. Obviously, some benefit from spinning it that way. Be that as it is, my only objective is understanding where the authority of agencies comes from. The elected officials like to do things then when they go sour, blame someone else. Both parties play that game. You know that. We all do.
0 x
Diogenes.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
jltrent wrote:

It was and is a function of economics. Obviously, some benefit from spinning it that way. Be that as it is, my only objective is understanding where the authority of agencies comes from. The elected officials like to do things then when they go sour, blame someone else. Both parties play that game. You know that. We all do.
Yes
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:38 pm

The liberals wanted the EPA, and the Republicans were bought off trying to be politically correct. Same as this illegal immigration bs, except both sides know their illegal and law breakers. Lots of picking and choosing on both sides, I just don't want to be picked.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:34 pm

1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:49 pm

Coal did not fall because of govt regulation. It fell because of economics. If your looking for some one to blame, blame cheap natural gas.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Return to “Coffee Shop”