How can a person handle this heat?

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: How can a person handle this heat?

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:13 pm

callmefence wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
callmefence wrote:
You brag about your hertiage but have no interest in continuing it.

Of course I have good information that the fact that your great grandpappy couldn't shoot straight caused the slaughter of hundreds of brave Texans at the Alamo. And the same reason you deer hunt with a model 12 and buckshot today.... ;-) :D ....party hard...... :drink: :banana: ----tgats a jalapeno not a banana

No I expect mine to earn it not have it given to them. That’s what’s wrong now the majority think it’s owed to them.
Well at least my ancestors in Texas have statues and monuments to honor them. Made it safe so Your bunch could come in.

You might want to be careful about comparing ancestors. I would hate to shame your little bunch........so catchemup tommorow and think of us poor working stiffs you've outsmarted.. :lol2:

:bs:
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:26 pm

hurleyjd wrote: I have plans to sell most of the cows. I have 29 pair with calves from about 250 to 700 pounds on them. Friday week and they will be gone. As soon as this fence gets fixed and some repair on the lot I have plans to sell 35 more pair. This will leave be about 60 head of young bred cows that should start calving around Jan/ Feb next year. I think with any luck at all and reducing the herd size I will be able to bale enough hay by the last of August. Rye grass and clover reseeds on these places. Next year I have plans to sell the rest and live out the golden years doing whatever I want to do and able to do. Next year I will be 78 and do not have the passion I did before for cattle. Also good chance I will also reduce my land holding by about 50% and that will leave 200 acres that I can get to with the UTV in about fifteen minutes. The Co-op is going to miss the money I spend with them on lime, fertilizer, feed herbicides and fence repair material.The equipment dealer may miss me also.

Dad was still trying at 87. Probably cause in his mind he didn’t have a choice or maybe he just needed that control. But if I learned anything between 2003 and 2011, by cutting the herd as drastically as you plan frees up a lot of time. You won’t really need lime and fertilizer as you won’t need that much forage. In a good year you will probably be able to grow enough hay to last several years without much trouble. Fuel, equipment repairs, feed and supply purchases will look minuscule compared to the past. And with those reductions in expenses you may even find you get to keep a higher $ per head percentage than when you were balls to the wall working for all the other agribusinesses.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:I dam sure didn’t bust my butt for forty years to leave it to kids. They can earn their own . If there is anything left their welcome to it. I am not about to save it for someone to party with when I am dead.

No worries cb. You'd actually have to bust your azz for that to happen..... :D
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:05 pm

1982vett wrote:
hurleyjd wrote: I have plans to sell most of the cows. I have 29 pair with calves from about 250 to 700 pounds on them. Friday week and they will be gone. As soon as this fence gets fixed and some repair on the lot I have plans to sell 35 more pair. This will leave be about 60 head of young bred cows that should start calving around Jan/ Feb next year. I think with any luck at all and reducing the herd size I will be able to bale enough hay by the last of August. Rye grass and clover reseeds on these places. Next year I have plans to sell the rest and live out the golden years doing whatever I want to do and able to do. Next year I will be 78 and do not have the passion I did before for cattle. Also good chance I will also reduce my land holding by about 50% and that will leave 200 acres that I can get to with the UTV in about fifteen minutes. The Co-op is going to miss the money I spend with them on lime, fertilizer, feed herbicides and fence repair material.The equipment dealer may miss me also.

Dad was still trying at 87. Probably cause in his mind he didn’t have a choice or maybe he just needed that control. But if I learned anything between 2003 and 2011, by cutting the herd as drastically as you plan frees up a lot of time. You won’t really need lime and fertilizer as you won’t need that much forage. In a good year you will probably be able to grow enough hay to last several years without much trouble. Fuel, equipment repairs, feed and supply purchases will look minuscule compared to the past. And with those reductions in expenses you may even find you get to keep a higher $ per head percentage than when you were balls to the wall working for all the other agribusinesses.

Lot of truth here.
The only real control we have is input cost.
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:17 pm

Sounds like we've all taught our kids how to work. My boys aren't going to waste their money or mine, my daughter I'm not so sure about. Before she got her first job, I was really worried that she didn't know the value of a dollar. I spoiled her and still do, but she's in school and pulling a 3.8 gpa in pre med.
It's unbelievable how much money a doctor can make in such a short period of time. In 7 years our oldest has more than we have by a long shot. And he doesn't handle the heat at all, his house is kept at 68.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:24 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Sounds like we've all taught our kids how to work. My boys aren't going to waste their money or mine, my daughter I'm not so sure about. Before she got her first job, I was really worried that she didn't know the value of a dollar. I spoiled her and still do, but she's in school and pulling a 3.8 gpa in pre med.
It's unbelievable how much money a doctor can make in such a short period of time. In 7 years our oldest has more than we have by a long shot. And he doesn't handle the heat at all, his house is kept at 68.

Those boys are controlled by those DIL’s and don’t fool yourself any different.
Once your dead and out of the way.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Sounds like we've all taught our kids how to work. My boys aren't going to waste their money or mine, my daughter I'm not so sure about. Before she got her first job, I was really worried that she didn't know the value of a dollar. I spoiled her and still do, but she's in school and pulling a 3.8 gpa in pre med.

One's 35 and single, the other is 26 and single. You could be right though, a sweetie can make you do crazy things. I tell them this all the time. What little we have is protected in a family blood trust against all future DIL.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:36 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

One's 35 and single, the other is 26 and single. You could be right though, a sweetie can make you do crazy things. I tell them this all the time. What little we have is protected in a family blood trust against all future DIL.

Got to remember man has broken every one of the Ten Commandments over a dollar, a land deed and woman.
Forbidden fruits are always the sweetest.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

Got to remember man has broken every one of the Ten Commandments over a dollar, a land deed and woman.
Forbidden fruits are always the sweetest.

You left out deer hunting?

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:15 am

Out of the pan and into the fire....
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:34 am

1982vett wrote:Image

Let's not mention the f word again.....
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 am

greybeard wrote:

At least it looks like y'all have a cold front coming next week.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:52 am

With that "cold" front we are hoping the 20% chance of rain increases and something actually falls.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:17 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
greybeard wrote:

At least it looks like y'all have a cold front coming next week.

:) yeah....back to normal near 100 temps. Going to feel good I imagine and we still have August to look forward to. :?

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:49 am

I just read where we are now closer to the average first freeze of the year than we are of the last freeze we had. I now feel comforted. :lol:
Last edited by slick4591 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown