Beat this...

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Beat this...

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:49 pm

callmefence wrote:
I'm sure you where good and cool today. But take my word for it. It was hot, and I Know hot. And not from what I see on TV.
And I wasn't sitting still either.

Didn’t have the luxury of being cool today. We started on a metal roof this morning but were done by 11. Spent the afternoon setting LVL beams. But we are getting a little break from last week. Only been around 92 the last few days so that’s better than what it was by far. I’ve only spent a couple weeks of my life in Texas so it’s hard for me to compare but while hot is hot no matter where you are, the high humidity we have so often in the southeast is what makes it so miserable here. If it were to get 114 here with 80% humidity I wouldn’t be able to breathe.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

haase
Rancher
Rancher

Postby haase » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:58 pm

You can have the heat, I love being outside spring, summer, and fall, you can always put more clothes on, never can take enough off.
3 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:49 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:
I'm sure you where good and cool today. But take my word for it. It was hot, and I Know hot. And not from what I see on TV.

Didn’t have the luxury of being cool today.

I think Fence was addressing me.

I'm not saying it wasn't hot, or even 112F today where he was, but am saying those vehicle indicators have a history of being notoriously inaccurate.

PWS (Personal Weather Stations) are also known to inaccurate and that too is usually because of placement. It's why there is so much difference in what NWS and entities like WeatherUnderground reports. All of WeatherUnderground uses PWS inputs from people with home weather stations in their backyard.

What is the official record high temp for Florence Texas?

I know what the 20 yr old thermometer on the outside west facing post of my porch said..102 at around 5pm.
Too hot to fish.
Last edited by greybeard on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:54 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:Official temperature stations have the thermometer in the shade and 5.5 feet above the ground.

Most of us work out in the real world not hovering 5.5 off the ground in the shade at an official temperature station.

Work, when did you start working outside, 70 ain't hot inside. :hide:
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:03 am

kenny thomas wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:Official temperature stations have the thermometer in the shade and 5.5 feet above the ground.

Most of us work out in the real world not hovering 5.5 off the ground in the shade at an official temperature station.

Work, when did you start working outside, 70 ain't hot inside. :hide:

70 means the unit needs more coolant.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:35 am

greybeard wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Didn’t have the luxury of being cool today.

I think Fence was addressing me.

I'm not saying it wasn't hot, or even 112F today where he was, but am saying those vehicle indicators have a history of being notoriously inaccurate.

PWS (Personal Weather Stations) are also known to inaccurate and that too is usually because of placement. It's why there is so much difference in what NWS and entities like WeatherUnderground reports. All of WeatherUnderground uses PWS inputs from people with home weather stations in their backyard.

What is the official record high temp for Florence Texas?

I know what the 20 yr old thermometer on the outside west facing post of my porch said..102 at around 5pm.
Too hot to fish.

IDK. I was at Watson heading to lometa.
It got cooler as I went west. The nws monitoring station is in the middle of a pasture about 2 miles west of Florence.
Dang sure doesn't seem to be in the shade. Doesn't matter. The temperature can vary several degrees over just a couple hundred yards. Altitude, sun exposure, wind currents even vegetation and soil type can effect temperature.
So if you wanna spilt hairs all thermometers are useless except for what they are actually touching.
I'm sure you can find a link... ;-) because I mean if it's on the internet.................
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:50 am

callmefence wrote:IDK. I was at Watson heading to lometa.
It got cooler as I went west. The nws monitoring station is in the middle of a pasture about 2 miles west of Florence.
Dang sure doesn't seem to be in the shade. Doesn't matter. The temperature can vary several degrees over just a couple hundred yards. Altitude, sun exposure, wind currents even vegetation and soil type can effect temperature.
So if you wanna spilt hairs all thermometers are useless except for what they are actually touching.
I'm sure you can find a link... ;-) because I mean if it's on the internet.................

I found the above, /\ /\ /\ on the internet..... /\ /\ /\
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:03 am

greybeard wrote:
callmefence wrote:IDK. I was at Watson heading to lometa.

I found the above, /\ /\ /\ on the internet..... /\ /\ /\

And your welcome anytime to come and confirm anything this poster post. Perhaps you can produce a link on something you actually have experience in.
0 x

David Crockett

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:16 am

And a lot of those weather stations are surrounded by pavement. Weather stations are worthless...
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:30 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

I was passing along information from the local TV weatherman answering a question from someone that was asking why the temp may be 104 and their car shows 117. Answer was the answer I posted. You can believe it or not does not make a crap to me whether you do or not.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:46 am

We can't even talk about the weather anymore without the old crumdgons butting in.
0 x

David Crockett

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:14 pm

callmefence wrote:We can't even talk about the weather anymore without the old crumdgons butting in.

Well, when I retired I talked it over with the Big Man upstairs and he sent word I could either sit around and butt in to the young whippersnappers' talk or move down to Goliad and wile away the hours on a park bench on courthouse square, spittin' tobacco juice and watching the passerby folks .. Now I would have greatly preferred the sittin-N-spittin tobacco juice job but I never did chew and wife didn't want to move to South Texas anyway, so here I am.

When it comes your turn, I highly recommend the Goliad gig...
0 x

Covet Not!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:42 pm

greybeard wrote:
callmefence wrote:We can't even talk about the weather anymore without the old crumdgons butting in.

Well, when I retired I talked it over with the Big Man upstairs and he sent word I could either sit around and butt in to the young whippersnappers' talk or move down to Goliad and wile away the hours on a park bench on courthouse square, spittin' tobacco juice and watching the passerby folks .. Now I would have greatly preferred the sittin-N-spittin tobacco juice job but I never did chew and wife didn't want to move to South Texas anyway, so here I am.

When it comes your turn, I highly recommend the Goliad gig...
I'd have to ship in some cedar for whitlin..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:55 pm

hurleyjd wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

I was passing along information from the local TV weatherman answering a question from someone that was asking why the temp may be 104 and their car shows 117. Answer was the answer I posted. You can believe it or not does not make a crap to me whether you do or not.

Ok. I was checking cattle this morning and tak8ng note how the grass was holding out. Looked up and the truck said it was 135. Started back to the house and it dropped tp 90.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Ain’t many old curmudgeons in the cemetery, far more young whipper snappers.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”