Free Time

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: Free Time

Postby 1982vett » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:55 pm

Guess I’m kinda doing it now....
2 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:55 pm

herofan wrote:Like I asked before, for those of you who don’t want free time or ever have free time, how do you define free time? Are you never able to just relax a few hours before bed? Do you never get to watch a ballgame? Do you never get to grill out in the back yard? Do you always feel stressed and pressed for time?

I don't think you'd ever understand it if a full page was spent explaining it.
Yes, we all may sometimes do those lollygagin things, but at the expense of things we really should be/need to be/want to be doing, and we're fully aware of it. Myself included.

1 Corinthians 13:11
Last edited by greybeard on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:52 pm

greybeard wrote:
herofan wrote:Like I asked before, for those of you who don’t want free time or ever have free time, how do you define free time? Are you never able to just relax a few hours before bed? Do you never get to watch a ballgame? Do you never get to grill out in the back yard? Do you always feel stressed and pressed for time?

I don't think you'd ever understand it if a full page was spent explaining it.
Yes, we all may sometimes do those lollygagin things, but at the expense of things we really should be/need to be/want to be doing, and we're fully aware of it.

1 Corinthians 13:11

You may be right that I wouldn’t understand it if a full page were spent explaining it, just the same as others wouldn’t understand how someone can not be consumed with busyness all the time. I Am very interested in human behavior. I keep waiting for someone to explain it so that I understand why people want to be consumed with busyness all the time.

I certainly view it differently than your description. You mention that you lollygag at the expense of things you should be doing, but I often am involved in business at the expense of spending more time with my parents who are in their 80s, or spending time with my daughter who is away at college.

Keep in mind that I make a good living and my kids aren’t starving. It’s not like I’m lying around watching tv while someone else pays my way in life. I always thought part of being successful was not having to run your butt ragged all the time.

I actually attended a three hour workshop recently related to discussing why people are so busy anymore. We discussed a lot of things and it was very interesting. For now, I’ll spare the details, but nobody left glorifying busyness.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:07 pm

I certainly view it differently than your description

no doubt.
I keep waiting for someone to explain it so that I understand why people want to be consumed with busyness all the time.

Not the first time you asked. Not the first time it was explained...no one can understand it for you.

Some are just driven to accomplish...and others, not so much.
Some are driven to do as much as possible, for as long as possible, every chance they get, others.....not so much.
There has always, in both the American Experiment and humanity in general, a segment of doers and overachievers that lead the world in whatever they wish to do. Then, there's everyone else.

Here's a hint. It has zero to very little to do with how 'successful' one is or how much $$ they make.
You probably don't understand that either.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:56 pm

greybeard wrote:
I certainly view it differently than your description

no doubt.
I keep waiting for someone to explain it so that I understand why people want to be consumed with busyness all the time.

Not the first time you asked. Not the first time it was explained...no one can understand it for you.

Some are just driven to accomplish...and others, not so much.
Some are driven to do as much as possible, for as long as possible, every chance they get, others.....not so much.
There has always, in both the American Experiment and humanity in general, a segment of doers and overachievers that lead the world in whatever they wish to do. Then, there's everyone else.

Here's a hint. It has zero to very little to do with how 'successful' one is or how much $$ they make.
You probably don't understand that either.

I’ve spent the last 24 years of my life trying to better the lives of students with disabilities. I couldn’t begin to explain what all has went into that. I recently saw one of the first students I ever had who has held a steady job for the last 20 years, which is often tough for people with his disability. He hugged me the moment he saw me and we chatted for about half an hour. He told me how I helped him so much and believed in him. I don’t think I need to hang my head and feel like I haven’t tried to accomplish anything in my life.

You mention all the overachievers who lead the world in whatever they do. Is that what people who are busy all the time tell themselves? That’s probably a good feeling to believe you are busy all the time because you are in the same league as Thomas Edison or Louis Pasteur.

I mentioned that I like to have time to spend with my aging parents and my daughter at college. Does that not make any sense to you?
I wonder when they lower my dad in the ground if I’ll be thinking, “Crap, I wish I hadn’t wasted all that time with him; heck, I could have been working my butt off instead.”
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:13 pm

As I said, it's up to you alone to understand it.
1 x

Covet Not!

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:19 pm

I try not to actually work much over 100 hours a week. That leaves a little time for getting in trouble.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

fasttommy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fasttommy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:38 pm

I don't have any free time, he says.
I have thousands of posts on an internet forum, he says.

:hide:
2 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:55 pm

kenny thomas wrote:I try not to actually work much over 100 hours a week. That leaves a little time for getting in trouble.

I dunno Kenny, I can get into lots of trouble in 68 hrs.
0 x

Covet Not!

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:31 am

It's a combination of things. Every man sets his priorities either consciously or subconsciously. For some, attempting to complete a never ending list of tasks helps to form/define their identity, adds self worth, self actualization, provides meaning and purpose. For others, focusing on the important relationships in their lives completes and fulfills those. It simply boils down to what a man decides are his priorities. I personally strive for balance in both areas and it presents a challenge. I personally believe relationships are the single most important thing in this life. While I find them the most rewarding and fulfilling, I often fall prey to the temptation of working the day away deep into the late evening or stealing away in my mind, making a mental list of all the things I think I should or need to be doing. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. The fenceline weeds are going to regrow back, etc etc. This takes away from time spent with my wife, children or friends. It's all about striking a balance between the physical task completion and enjoying the benefits of rewarding relationships. How does one define success? Is it money, a physical legacy one has built? Or the combination of several facets of a life well lived.
Purely my opinion.
5 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:51 am

Leaders get the job done.

Followers watch them do it .

It's pretty simple where folks like up.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 am

I have a lot more time than I use to have. I try to work smarter, multitask more also.
Last edited by jltrent on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:25 am

I've always put family first and as I'm aging even more so. We all relax and take it easy in our own ways. My problem is I don't have to look very far to see things that need doing.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:56 am

greybeard wrote:If you have to force free time, is it really free or simply bought/rented/borrowed at the expense of whatever you would otherwise be engaged in?

Good point. Very little in life is free. But I'm selective about what I choose to be otherwise engaged in. Can it wait until tomorrow? Will it negatively effect me or someone/something else if it's not addressed in a timely manner?

A friend once referred to me as a bundle of energy and I took that as one of the nicest complements I have received. However, I have recently recognized I'm not doing myself or my husband any favors trying to get everything done all the time, ending up exhausted at the end of the day. Plus, we're supposed to be "retired" and retirement is supposed to be fun, right?
2 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:51 am

I never have any real schedule except on Thursdays when I volunteer at the VA Hospital. Otherwise I do a lot of small things but seldom anything someone would consider hard work. I mow, keep the place clean, check the cows everyday, sometimes just park the mule in woods and sit and day dream a bit....I make it to town about once a week strictly to visit a few folks, drink a few beers and BS a couple of hours. We eat out several times during the week which is simply a chance to not have the wife cook and enjoy good food as well. I do quite a lot of reading, most non fiction and have several books going at one time. Otherwise I nap a lot as well. ;-)
3 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Coffee Shop”