Could Be Coming to America

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Could Be Coming to America

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:20 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Mike

In any circumstance where there is a difference in values, both sides perceive that the other side is forcing their values "down the other side's throat". Let's take same sex marriage because it is so clear cut. The advocates for same sex marriage are seeking that privilege for themselves. They are not advocating that anyone who enjoys a marriage between a man and a woman forfeit that marriage to adopt same sex marriage.

What you perceive as them shoving same sex marriage down your throat is their effort to gain that right for those who wish to engage in same sex marriage. The conflict over same sex marriage was generated by those who opposed it.

To say that the right does not push their agenda on the left is disingenuous. They do. The right is still chafing over same sex marriage. Because contrary to your implication, the right tries to force their values on the left.

I’m gonna sleep on this one before I respond. Clarity is not my friend this time of the night :tiphat:
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:21 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Mike

In any circumstance where there is a difference in values, both sides perceive that the other side is forcing their values "down the other side's throat". Let's take same sex marriage because it is so clear cut. The advocates for same sex marriage are seeking that privilege for themselves. They are not advocating that anyone who enjoys a marriage between a man and a woman forfeit that marriage to adopt same sex marriage.

What you perceive as them shoving same sex marriage down your throat is their effort to gain that right for those who wish to engage in same sex marriage. The conflict over same sex marriage was generated by those who opposed it.

To say that the right does not push their agenda on the left is disingenuous. They do. The right is still chafing over same sex marriage. Because contrary to your implication, the right tries to force their values on the left.

I’m gonna sleep on this one before I respond. Clarity is not my friend this time of the night :tiphat:

:cboy: sleep well my friend.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:50 am

The so-called Proud Boys and other far-right (white supremacist) groups have stated their intent to infiltrate so-called antifa protests and act lawlessly so that it will "blow back" on the anti-fascists. This is very worrisome, could lead to a Kent State-type situation, or even worse.
Read an interesting article that showed just how much some of these hotheads have in common. They basically just want to throw punches and watch the world burn. A pox on all of them.
But I do contrast that with the vast majority of protests, which are peaceful and a rightful/righteous exercise of free speech.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:05 am

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:01 am

0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:08 am

0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:33 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:If every able bodied person in the world would get up every morning (or evening to work night shift) and go to a job (whether that job is a CEO, burger flipper, farmer, or President) and then come home, eat supper, watch Dr Pol, and go to bed we wouldn’t have these problems. But who am I kidding. I’m one of the 2% that live that life.

I have never felt that I have to convince, let alone force, someone else to believe, support, or feel the same way I do regarding my opinions, views, or values, especially in regards to politics, religion, etc. But by the same token, I expect the same in return. You’re probably not gonna change how I feel. I’m probably not gonna change the way you feel.

Seems that so many times when someone comes along with a new ‘agenda’ it’s not enough that people step out of the way and let them do as the please. Nope, they keep pushing their agenda trying to force the rest of society to not only accept it, but to like it. They just push and push trying to shove it down your throat. I could cite many public instances but I’m not gonna be the one to get this one buried in the boneyard.

Mike. That is not honest. I don't say that lightly. Few people have the capacity to truly let others pursue whatever lifestyle they covet without making judgements. I bet I can go though your posts and find disparaging remarks about other lifestyles that you disapprove. Whether it be homosexuality, a statement of support for man made global warming, etc. Don't pretend that one side bears all the fault and you are as innocent as a newborn lamb. Lol. That is ridiculous.

If we were all as pure as you portray, what a wonderful world it would be. Unfortunately, we all make judgements.

You’re exactly right. Few people can allow others to live whatever lifestyle they want without making judgements. I do make judgements. However my post didn’t say anything about judgements. I said that I don’t feel the necessity to push my agenda (i.e. feelings, views, beliefs, etc) on someone else. I didn’t say that I accepted their agenda. I said their agenda should not be forced on me. And I’m not gonna force my agenda (whatever that may be) on anyone else.

Case in point. I’m anti abortion. I will proudly disclose that. But I’m not gonna go protest in front of an abortion clinic and call the women going in the door names and so on. I believe it’s wrong. But I’m not gonna try to force anyone else to believe the same thing.
And I don’t expect anyone else to try and make me believe it’s ok. Right or wrong this is the point I’m trying to make. Make sense?

The part about able bodied people being productive members of society and having a job was to illustrate a hypothetical situation where people would be too busy to worry about nonsense such as which bathroom they should use, which statues are offensive, and which mascots should have their names changed.

(Example: Harry wants to become Sherry. I don’t approve. But I really don’t care as long as Harry’s agenda doesn’t affect me. All of a sudden Harry/Sherry wants to use the same bathroom as my daughter. The agenda is being shoved down my throat)

When there is more than one person involved in anything then there will be differences in opinions, beliefs, etc at some point. Don’t believe me? Get married :lol2: :hide: That’s human nature. But I’m very much a realist. I know I’m not gonna change your views. And vice versa. But herein lies my point. In no shape, form, or fashion do I feel that I have to try and convince you to feel the way I do. The people I’m referring to do. Give them and inch and they take a mile. It’s never enough to satisfy them. They will take and take until there’s nothing left to take. I’m tired of giving.

I remember a post a while back in which Logar said that someone told him they were offended. He responded to them with this statement. “I’m offended that you’re offended”. I like that.

You didn't get most of that opinion from watching Doc Pol did you ? :-)

There is much credibility in your words. Broccoli makes me dog sick but I don't mind people buying it at stores.

The media has the power and too much of it. Their influence, or lack thereof, for issues they push reaches far and wide.

Whether or not we agree on each and every little issue is not important. What is important is that you think for yourself and you are not bothered by my beliefs or positions.
2 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:41 pm

you can see the medias influence in 80% of the posts on this forum.
3 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:04 pm

ddd75 wrote:you can see the medias influence in 80% of the posts on this forum.

I was going to estimate 90%. :lol2:
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:23 pm

Which media? Fake or real?
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

haase
Rancher
Rancher

Postby haase » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 pm

Its really sad when the media makes up your mind, being self employed and responsible for other families, I have learned to adjust, and it has been over 35 years, I don't push my beliefs on other people and I still have to listen theirs, it's just part of life for me, If you can't make a decision on your own with outside influence, than don't bother, you're just a follower, not a leader.
1 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:48 pm

haase wrote:Its really sad when the media makes up your mind, being self employed and responsible for other families, I have learned to adjust, and it has been over 35 years, I don't push my beliefs on other people and I still have to listen theirs, it's just part of life for me, If you can't make a decision on your own with outside influence, than don't bother, you're just a follower, not a leader.

I agree with your post. When I was reading this it brought to mind a question. Without followers, what purpose does a leader have?
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

haase
Rancher
Rancher

Postby haase » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:55 pm

Hard workers and aggressive followers become the next leaders, nothing was given to me, and that's the greatest part of this country.
2 x

haase
Rancher
Rancher

Postby haase » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:04 pm

Jmj, the purpose of leaders in any aspect is to produce other leaders, it doesn't mean rule the world, it can mean business, being a parent, any part of life, just have your own mind and heart, determination and it will work out.
2 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:05 pm

slick4591 wrote:

Which media? Fake or real?

That IS THE QUESTION!

What I see in the world today is this:

If the media report is confirmation of one's position on an issue it is REAL.

If a media report is contrary or refutes one's position on an issue, it is FAKE.

I will tell you how bad it has gotten. One of the Bishops who is defending the Pope in the Pennsylvania sex scandal, said the news reports are FAKE.

Fake has become a shield for every azzhole that knows he has been caught.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Return to “Coffee Shop”