Hurricane Florence

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Hurricane Florence

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm

I couldn’t agree more CB. While certain people need to evacuate due to their proximity to the potential point of impact, the media over sensationalizes everything these days, especially weather. I know it’s not a joke, and I know it has the makings to tear up a lot of stuff, but like you say every one is “the worst, the biggest, the costliest”
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:59 pm

We'll know how much hype Florence is in a couple of days. I've been running from hurricanes since Andrew in 1992. And see no reason why anyone would stay except to protect their belongings. If looters were executed on site more folks would heed evacuation notices in front of these storms.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:06 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:We'll know how much hype Florence is in a couple of days. I've been running from hurricanes since Andrew in 1992. And see no reason why anyone would stay except to protect their belongings. If looters were executed on site more folks would heed evacuation notices in front of these storms.

Andrew, Hugo, Katrina and (Alberto in 94 even though it was only a tropical depression when it got here but caused unbelievable flooding from here to South Ga) are the ones I remember best. I’m with you on the looters. One behind the ear and let em drift out to sea. Wrong is wrong but taking advantage of another’s misfortune such as in the case of looting before/after a natural disaster such as a hurricane is lower than low.
3 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Isaac is in the chute that some very bad girls have run. Models don’t have it strengthening. Bears watching a jog north could be ugly. Carla ran up the Yucatán as well.

Good sign Flo has downgraded to a 2
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:04 pm

Ike came ashore as a Cat 2....just sayin.

How it really is right now.......doesn't include the 2 waves that just came off the African coast.

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:13 am

greybeard wrote:Ike came ashore as a Cat 2....just sayin.

How it really is right now.......doesn't include the 2 waves that just came off the African coast.

Ike pitched a tent.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:32 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Isaac is in the chute that some very bad girls have run. Models don’t have it strengthening. Bears watching a jog north could be ugly. Carla ran up the Yucatán as well.

look for Issac to be in gulf next week , Y'all will have a cold front deep in TX and it will steer him up to the Gulf coast
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:50 am

M-5 wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Isaac is in the chute that some very bad girls have run. Models don’t have it strengthening. Bears watching a jog north could be ugly. Carla ran up the Yucatán as well.

look for Issac to be in gulf next week , Y'all will have a cold front deep in TX and it will steer him up to the Gulf coast

Looks like two could be lining up to jump us.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:53 am

I've been through many hurricanes in my life starting with Audrey in 1957. Some I've stayed home for and some I've gone inland. At least a hurricane will give you a few days to make that decision and then you are on your own. They are to be respected because until you are in one you can't imagine the power and fury unleashed. I have pictures of our property after Ike in Crystal Beach Tx and I would like to be able to show them to the fools that are thinking of riding out this storm on there boat.
I've only been in one tornado and that came up with no notice. It tore my neighborhood up, completely demolishing some neighbors homes. We have no official tornado warning system in Louisiana like some states. `I have always said that I will take a hurricane any day compared to a tornado just because of the time factor. And yes, I agree with CB that the media has hyped these up like many other things and may have cost lost of lives in doing so. Everyone wants to be a showman.
1 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:03 pm

I agree the news tends to blow up the storms, like the TS that came in on us several weeks ago that was really just a rain event. We had family calling from all over checking on us because it looked so bad on the news. On the flip side if they didn’t make a big deal out of it and someone drowned in the flooding they would be blamed for not doing their jobs. I am glad to see that Florence has gone to a Cat 2, but believe folks in its path are still in for a rough time of it. I watch the pressure when Ivan hit us pressure was 915 and trust me it was bad. Right now the pressure of Florence is 955 hopefully it won’t go any lower.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:39 pm

bbirder wrote:I've been through many hurricanes in my life starting with Audrey in 1957. Some I've stayed home for and some I've gone inland. At least a hurricane will give you a few days to make that decision and then you are on your own. They are to be respected because until you are in one you can't imagine the power and fury unleashed. I have pictures of our property after Ike in Crystal Beach Tx and I would like to be able to show them to the fools that are thinking of riding out this storm on there boat.
I've only been in one tornado and that came up with no notice. It tore my neighborhood up, completely demolishing some neighbors homes. We have no official tornado warning system in Louisiana like some states. `I have always said that I will take a hurricane any day compared to a tornado just because of the time factor. And yes, I agree with CB that the media has hyped these up like many other things and may have cost lost of lives in doing so. Everyone wants to be a showman.

I would think planning to ride one out on your boat should be called "Suicide by storm".
Tornado came over before daylight one morning, picked up over us and set down again a little distance away. Went through a bunch of pine trees and looked like someone had cut a strip through grass with a lawn mower.
Could not see it because it was still dark, but the sound it made was terrible. Don't need that experience again.
1 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:02 pm

When we experienced the tornado, it took the roof off of our next door neighbor and left ours intact. The house 3 doors down resembled a box of toothpicks after it imploded. We only had 2 windows broken, but the noise was deafening and we were definitely shaken. Our children were just babies at the time. My oldest is 47 now and we still talk about it.
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Another thing to prepare for is a hard winter.
Every time we have a hurricane we get snow here that winter.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:53 pm

"I would think planning to ride one out on your boat should be called "Suicide by storm".

depends on the size, condition of the 'boat' and the crew.
I rode one out (Eloise) on a 100' USN tugboat anchored in Santa Rosa Sound Fla in '76.
Rode several Pacific hurricanes (typhoons) out at sea, or ran before them in the Pacific and Indian Ocean on a Navy destroyer.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU

Postby plumber_greg » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Everyone will hate me, I know,
Last year i went though Hurricane Irma.
Went to Florida just to see what a hurricane was.
Stayed at my son's house.
Was really dissapointed in what a Catargory 3 Hurricane was.
Went outside when the eye had passed.
Then went to sleep. Wind and rain, nothing else.
Have you ever been in a bed when a tornado passed by?
Found out 2 miles from you people you knew were killed?
And never even woke up?
Or even been in a severe thunderstorm?
60 or 70 mph winds aren't much in IMHO.
Slept through them for years.
The house I was in didn't even shake.
My house rattles when a storm passes, a REAL STORM.
I know a lot of agony happens in hurricanes.
I feel sorry for everyone's losses.
Different parts of the country deal with weather in different ways.
What is terrible for some is really no big deal for others.
Give me a hurricane instead of a tornado any day.
gs
0 x
Just call me plumberscrack

Return to “Coffee Shop”