Got to the top of the hill

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Got to the top of the hill

Post by Dave » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:47 pm

The temperature was finally low enough and the humidity high enough to run the quads up to the back of the property without starting a fire. The road (using the term very loosely) was sure steep and rough. Not one to take a pickup up on. I did see a big flock of Blue Grouse on the way up the hill. So add another species of wildlife to my list. I took a couple pictures from the top looking down on the place. The barn roof is the only thing that shows well. The trees in the yard block the view of the house. The picture doesn't do justice to just how steep it is. If you were to trip where was when taking the pictures you wouldn't quit rolling for a week.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Got to the top of the hill

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Heaven on earth!

Congrats!
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:12 pm

lovely! Looks like about the same climate we have.. sagebrush and bunchgrass.. only thing green is what's irrigated
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:14 pm

Awesome scenery Dave. Those irrigated fields really add a lot to the pic. Guess you didn’t run into any cougars :lol2:
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 pm

Nesikep wrote:lovely! Looks like about the same climate we have.. sagebrush and bunchgrass.. only thing green is what's irrigated

It is about a 10 inch rainfall area. Yep, we grow sage brush, bunch grass, and rocks. We grow some really big rocks. This is a picture of the wife checking the water trough at a location all the locals call "Big Rock". That rock is about 5 times taller than what is in the picture.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:34 pm

a dry year here is about 7", a wet one is 17" I think.. hard to say because of microclimates in the area.. the town gets MUCH more rain than we do.. I look to the north and it's often black and raining up there but it never gets to us. Unlike the town, our rain comes from the east because of the high mountain to our west.. the clouds bunch up against it.. however, if you look east of us, there's no place for rain to come from so it's pretty rare to get a real good soaking rain.. You'll get just enough to wet your hay, not enough to be able to take a break from irrigating
-Christopher Hitchens

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 pm

A lot of difference in country, we can get y'alls 7" in a day..
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Post by cfpinz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:23 am

On the non-irrigated country, is it grazed year round or during a particular season? How many acres do you figure per cow on that type of ground? I'm going to toss out a guess of 40 acres/cow just for grins.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:39 am

cfpinz wrote:On the non-irrigated country, is it grazed year round or during a particular season? How many acres do you figure per cow on that type of ground? I'm going to toss out a guess of 40 acres/cow just for grins.

No year round grazing here. It is generally mid April to the end of October. That is what it is according to the permit on the BLM ground. And even on private ground there isn't any grass until mid April. By the end of October a person better get them headed for lower elevations. The top of that hill is close to 4,700 feet. The cows per acre? Probably somewhere around 100 acres per cow. It really varies depending on distance to water, the grass, how rugged the ground is, and a lot of other factors.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:52 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:A lot of difference in country, we can get y'alls 7" in a day..

Or it can take 7 months....
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 am

That is a really cool place you have there. Thanks for the post
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:53 am

what's the soil like on the irrigated areas? gravel and rock or is there some good sandy loam?
-Christopher Hitchens

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Nesikep wrote:what's the soil like on the irrigated areas? gravel and rock or is there some good sandy loam?

It varies a lot. Some good soil and some gravel bars deposited by the river. Certainly all gravel down a couple feet. Most of it grows good grass/clover with some alfalfa left over that was planted years ago. One good thing is I am the first place on both ditches so I have lots of water. And the water is cheap. A touch over $7.00 an acre with no pumping cost.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Post by jltrent » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Doesn't look like a whole lot of timber or firewood there. At least a slim chance of hitting a tree with the quads.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Dave wrote:
Nesikep wrote:what's the soil like on the irrigated areas? gravel and rock or is there some good sandy loam?

It varies a lot. Some good soil and some gravel bars deposited by the river. Certainly all gravel down a couple feet. Most of it grows good grass/clover with some alfalfa left over that was planted years ago. One good thing is I am the first place on both ditches so I have lots of water. And the water is cheap. A touch over $7.00 an acre with no pumping cost.

no pumping is a BIG one.. Same kinda soil we have here pretty much I think.. some gravel bars and some spots of really nice dirt
-Christopher Hitchens