Making a Livin'

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Making a Livin'

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:40 pm

jehosofat wrote:I'm hoping to give it a whirl in a couple more years when I am built up into the 250 range, but I have zero debt. We'll see.

Hopefully you'll have time to go fishing.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:49 am

i'd need at least 10k cows.. I'm real fancy
1 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:20 am

ddd75 wrote:i'd need at least 10k cows.. I'm real fancy

:-) :D :clap:

Are you going to hire a pilot for that chopper too ?
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

OleScout
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby OleScout » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:07 am

I've always thought and said out loud if I had 200 momma cows I would quit my day job. My lifestyle and spending habits would change without the day job but I always thought my life would be better and much much happier.
0 x

okiek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby okiek » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:47 am

I'm walking away from my day job when I hit 100 pairs. But then again, my land is all paid for (Unless I buy more) and I've spent over 30 years building my retirement check in my day job. At 100 head to supplement that check I hope to keep my standard of living the same as it is now......That's not saying a lot :)
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:24 am

I bought a farm (173 acres) from a guy who made his living of 65 pairs. Had a small house that was paid for and drove a junk car. I combined that with the farm I already had and only run 50 pairs.

I could make a living on 100 pairs - my wife however needs more like 700 (lol)
3 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:27 am

shaz wrote:I bought a farm (173 acres) from a guy who made his living of 65 pairs. Had a small house that was paid for and drove a junk car. I combined that with the farm I already had and only run 50 pairs.

I could make a living on 100 pairs - my wife however needs more like 700 (lol)

So your final answer is 700 unless you want to be solo :lol:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

rowdyred
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby rowdyred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41 am

Well I'm fixing to get 40 heavy bred momma's, add that to my already 35, I'll have 75. Right now I teach school, I'm ready to get out. I mow yards, sell hay, have a green house. I do not want to hire anybody to help. No land payment, tractor and hay equipment paid off. Hoping 75 will pay the bills.
0 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:49 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
jehosofat wrote:I'm hoping to give it a whirl in a couple more years when I am built up into the 250 range, but I have zero debt. We'll see.

Hopefully you'll have time to go fishing.

Oh yea, come on, I'll take ya.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:03 pm

rowdyred wrote:Well I'm fixing to get 40 heavy bred momma's, add that to my already 35, I'll have 75. Right now I teach school, I'm ready to get out. I mow yards, sell hay, have a green house. I do not want to hire anybody to help. No land payment, tractor and hay equipment paid off. Hoping 75 will pay the bills.

I wish you luck and darn sure hope the market stays where its at or better for you. But I think your question wasn't asked properly as you never mentioned you mow yards sell hay and have a green house for income. Its a lot different when you have other sources of income than just 1 source and I think most answers given was based off of cattle were the only source.
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:31 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
rowdyred wrote:Well I'm fixing to get 40 heavy bred momma's, add that to my already 35, I'll have 75. Right now I teach school, I'm ready to get out. I mow yards, sell hay, have a green house. I do not want to hire anybody to help. No land payment, tractor and hay equipment paid off. Hoping 75 will pay the bills.

I wish you luck and darn sure hope the market stays where its at or better for you. But I think your question wasn't asked properly as you never mentioned you mow yards sell hay and have a green house for income. Its a lot different when you have other sources of income than just 1 source and I think most answers given was based off of cattle were the only source.

You can't depend on the market, that's why you always want to operate like its always in a lull...reserve in the up times, so you'll be prepared in the down..
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:35 pm

okiek wrote:I'm walking away from my day job when I hit 100 pairs. But then again, my land is all paid for (Unless I buy more) and I've spent over 30 years building my retirement check in my day job. At 100 head to supplement that check I hope to keep my standard of living the same as it is now......That's not saying a lot :)

Good chance you will supplement your ranching business with your pension money.
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:48 pm

You're a teacher? Now I understand why you want to raise cows full time. ;-)
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:23 pm

I wish you the best. And I don’t want to be pessimistic or discourage you. But IF you manage to wean 75 calves and IF you clear $400/hd profit that’s only $30k. That won’t go far on it’s own. Costs a lot to live even with no debt. But if you’ve got a retirement check and benefits along with a little side income it’s doable.

One thing about putting back extra in the good times...... I put back whenever I can during the highs, but it seems the lows always know exactly what I’ve got and they get it all back. Being successful financially depends on good decisions. But one also needs a little luck along the way.

You can open a wh0rehouse but if all the customers get drafted to go fight a 5 year war you’re liable to go broke even with that venture.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:28 pm

My wife tells me I would be money ahead if I sold ALL the cows. :yuck:
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Return to “Coffee Shop”