Making a Livin'

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Making a Livin'

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:We just need to be patient. Once we are forced to put the EID tags in the cattle we'll be making hundreds if not thousands of dollars more per head because exports will explode and we'll all be rich.

Or most of the pigs will die from fever so sweet and sour beef demand will drive the market. :banana:

How much benefit can I put in my 2019 budget?

I'd figure the sky is the limit since they assure us it will be good for us and have always had our best interests at heart. I'm sure your banker would agree.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:16 pm

A lot of export talk, but except for soybeans before the recent crash, not much action. My understanding is the US share of major grain markets is dropping. I think many other countries set a price to sell out just below the US price, and then we get to store a lot of the surplus. Good for grain bin suppliers...

Recent talk here is around shipping calves into Canada and letting them export.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:10 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
Lucky wrote:
Gotta watch the farmers and ranchers that seem to be doing good. Things aren’t always as they seem. A sure enough Ag banker will stretch it out and make a hobo look rich. Not saying this is the case all the time but probably 95%.

Its part of the sales pitch.

If some one knows of a bank that will lend a person in their 20s with nothing money to start a cattle operation please post their info. I've never come across one.

I know young guys "making it" also... for the moment. Some where some one signed some thing or put some thing up for collateral to get them started. Not saying its a bad thing... just saying its the reality.

It's very apparent the government isn't charging enough for grazing rights.

The government doesn't get much for grazing rights. A subject that comes up fairly often. And it is true the government doesn't get much. However the real cost to the ranchers plenty. Maintaining miles and miles of fence on ground that you can't drive on. You check fence and repair it either horseback or on foot. Checking and maintaining the watering systems. Taking salt out is not a 20 minute job. The distances and terrain make it an all day job. Gathering cattle from a pasture can take weeks. Loses of animals will be higher. That can be predators, humans, and simple accidents (cows do fall off cliffs). A cow that gets sick and gets treated in a pasture situation may very well die because nobody sees her in the big range country. I have read studies that compared the real cost of rented private pasture cost the the real cost of operate on low cost government pasture. The operating cost on the government is slightly higher.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:46 am

Jogeephus wrote:We just need to be patient. Once we are forced to put the EID tags in the cattle we'll be making hundreds if not thousands of dollars more per head because exports will explode and we'll all be rich.

bwahahahah!!!
No, you'll just pay $4 more per animal for tags and have to carry another tagger and tag.. and in their $#@%%#$ wisdom,the pins are different for the RFID tag than the standard ear tag
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:33 am

Nesikep wrote:

bwahahahah!!!
No, you'll just pay $4 more per animal for tags and have to carry another tagger and tag.. and in their $#@%%#$ wisdom,the pins are different for the RFID tag than the standard ear tag

Nesikep, do you have to EID tag before a animal can leave your property or before it can be sold? From what I've gathered those behind the mandatory EID tagging system are pushing that the animal has to be tagged before it can be sold. The sale barn will tag and record for $10 per head, or the owner can tag and record for $5 per tag. Hopefully it'll help US out, I know it's going to create more government jobs and BS for the producer.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:07 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Nesikep wrote:

bwahahahah!!!

Nesikep, do you have to EID tag before a animal can leave your property or before it can be sold? From what I've gathered those behind the mandatory EID tagging system are pushing that the animal has to be tagged before it can be sold. The sale barn will tag and record for $10 per head, or the owner can tag and record for $5 per tag. Hopefully it'll help US out, I know it's going to create more government jobs and BS for the producer.

I'm confused. You got one guy trying to drain the swamp and there you are suggesting we use a mud pump to fill it back up. All anyone has to do is looks at the horse meat fiasco in Europe to see this tagging is a farce.
3 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:43 am

Yeah, anything sold is supposed to have a tag.. sale barn charges $10 to do it, tags cost $4.. maybe a little less in bulk
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Nesikep wrote:Yeah, anything sold is supposed to have a tag.. sale barn charges $10 to do it, tags cost $4.. maybe a little less in bulk

Apart from the aggravation and the cost how much more money are you making by doing this? A lot right?
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:33 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
shaz wrote:I could make a living on 100 pairs - my wife however needs more like 700 (lol)

How many cows have you bought her so far?

I just paid for her to take a trip to Maine and Vermont so she'll leave me alone for week. I ate tuna and bologna all week and she had lobster. She's a total princess but her enchiladas are to die for.
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:42 am

Don't forget the EID tag is already in place for all dairy animals. Even day old baby bull calves, if it looks dairy, it has to have a tag to go through the sale barns. Most of the vets here will provide a box of tags, we can still use the metal ones, to a dairy farmer just for their bull calves. Many of the ones that use the 15 number ID system don't want to put them in the bull calves ears as it screws up the number sequences that they keep track of their heifers. So they are using the metal ones and it is still acceptable. Haven't had any trouble with the local slaughter house if it is one "you raised". Don't tell them if it is baby calf I bought directly off the farm or raised from one of my own dairy cows.
They tried to impose this on the poultry breeders. Like we are going to be able to record and produce evidence when a fox carried off a hen and where she went? But the confinement poultry farms were only going to have to have 1 number per house...which is like 5 to 10,000 birds ??? It got shelved but I wouldn't put it past some other idiot to try to bring it back.... more money in someones pocket and more control is all it is. Like a horse has to be recorded every time it leaves the property for a show or a ride down the road.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:26 am

Jogeephus wrote:
Nesikep wrote:Yeah, anything sold is supposed to have a tag.. sale barn charges $10 to do it, tags cost $4.. maybe a little less in bulk

Apart from the aggravation and the cost how much more money are you making by doing this? A lot right?

[sarcasm]Hand over fist, it's flowing in faster than I can find ways to spend it[/sarcasm]
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:01 am

I'm like most on here I think. Have to have a day job and probably always will. We run 70-80 cows on paid for land, no debt other than one truck payment (and beer). It's a supplemental income for me, and we enjoy the animals. When I slow down at work we will have 100 or so head. That will be a supplement for me for retirement, and will keep me active for sure. Idk if there is a true retirement number for me. Cattle prices up and down... Feed prices up and up... Rain falling everywhere but her... Beer going up up... But I do agree with one comment... With the price of land around here I could retire twice if I was smart...
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:13 am

i'm selling out all my RE assets and buying a larger cattle farm..

hope it works i'm betting everything on it.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”