Toads!

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
boondocks
GURU
GURU

Toads!

Postby boondocks » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:00 am

Grew up playing with frogs and snakes and turtles. Toads were a little different--we somehow got it in our peabrains that they could give you warts from their bumps. :lol:
Anyway, it's rare to see a frog or turtle around here these days. But we have toads the size of your fist hanging out on the stones outside the back door. There were 5 tonight (catching bugs, fat and sassy), and those are just the ones we saw. (When we come or go after dark, we take a flashlight so we don't step on them. Or get skunked!).
Anyway, we kept seeing fresh poo on the patio stones--doglike but a bit smaller. I said it was the toads, hubs said no way, it's too big for toads. But looks like I was right! Did ya'll know a toad could poo about half their size lol! https://morningbrayfarm.com/2010/07/15/ ... the-patio/
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Toads!

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:21 am

boondocks wrote:Grew up playing with frogs and snakes and turtles. Toads were a little different--we somehow got it in our peabrains that they could give you warts from their bumps. :lol:
Anyway, it's rare to see a frog or turtle around here these days. But we have toads the size of your fist hanging out on the stones outside the back door. There were 5 tonight (catching bugs, fat and sassy), and those are just the ones we saw. (When we come or go after dark, we take a flashlight so we don't step on them. Or get skunked!).
Anyway, we kept seeing fresh poo on the patio stones--doglike but a bit smaller. I said it was the toads, hubs said no way, it's too big for toads. But looks like I was right! Did ya'll know a toad could poo about half their size lol! https://morningbrayfarm.com/2010/07/15/ ... the-patio/

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/ ... 70664.html
I do my best to kill them all. We've lost a few dogs those those dang things.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:02 pm

I love toads!!!! They eat so many bugs. The larger ones are females.

Anytime I've had a dog try to eat a toad, they spit the thing out after rolling it around their moth a few times, and they salivate & froth like crazy. Most of dogs would not bother with a toad again, after that. I can honestly say, that we have never had a dog or a cat die because of a toad. Perhaps different climates, different toads.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:I love toads!!!! They eat so many bugs. The larger ones are females.

Anytime I've had a dog try to eat a toad, they spit the thing out after rolling it around their moth a few times, and they salivate & froth like crazy. Most of dogs would not bother with a toad again, after that. I can honestly say, that we have never had a dog or a cat die because of a toad. Perhaps different climates, different toads.

The cane toads TG is talking about live in Miami and Tampa and places in between and nowhere else in this country.
1 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:11 pm

we have a few toads around here.. it's a little dry and arid for them, but if there's a leak in the irrigation or a place that gets good water they'll be there.. In the spring they're only vocal for a night or two it seems
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:19 pm

ga.prime wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:I love toads!!!! They eat so many bugs. The larger ones are females.

The cane toads TG is talking about live in Miami and Tampa and places in between and nowhere else in this country.

That's definitely where our misfortune took place, and I never knew that GP.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:22 pm

ga.prime wrote:

That would explain it. I figured it had to be a different type of toad, one which we haven't got in the more northern climes.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:06 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
boondocks wrote:Grew up playing with frogs and snakes and turtles. Toads were a little different--we somehow got it in our peabrains that they could give you warts from their bumps. :lol:

"What to do if your dog is attacked by a toad." That cracks me up right there. I don't think the toads are the ones doing the attackin'. A bit sensationalist.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:05 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:

Might be nice to have a few here..with theses community dogs we got..but as things seem to go here only the good ones would wind up eating them..not the wingless buzzards.
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:36 pm

They make good bush hook bait for channel and Flatheads
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:16 am

Them little green tree frogs with the sticky suction cup feets are always climbing up my windows and sheetin on the glass in a long black stream.
I opened the tractor fender toolbox one day and one of em jumped out at me and about made me leave the seat....
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:14 pm

I don't like these either:

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Coffee Shop”