Picking majors and college

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Picking majors and college

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:41 pm

I have decided that I would like to pursue Agriculture Education as my college major. Which is what I really want to do. It's what I'm good at, I love agriculture and teaching people about it. I am really happy that I figured it out.
I really like the looks of University of Georgia in Athens, Tennessee's Herbert College of Agriculture in Knoxville and Kentucky's College of Agriculture, Food and Science.
The final straw will be what the area outside of the college is like as well. I've never left the region of New England so I am completely clueless as to what it's like in those areas. If y'all can give me insight it would be much appreciated.

The only issue I'm facing is leaving New Hampshire. i would go all in if I didn't have to leave my horse and cows behind which has really been weighing on my mind as I am looking.

I've spent my entire childhood dreaming of leaving but now it's making my stomach turn :cry: . I know that it's what I have to do I'm so ready for new things, not quite ready to say goodbye to some things however.
Just my thoughts....
1 x
Be decisive, wether right or wrong.
The road of life is paved with many flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Picking majors and college

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:52 pm

One of the scariest moments in my life was when mom left me off at the door of the dormatory. In a week, I didn't think I would ever go back to the farm. Lol.

You just got to get over that first week.

Don't go to Georgia. There are crazy folks down there. Just read some of True Grit's posts if you don't believe me.

I will also caution you about Tennessee and Kentucky. It might be a challenge for a girl from New Hampshire.

UK has a great Agriculture School.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Agriculture Education----With the Education endorsement you must be wanting to go into teaching of Agriculture. I have been to UT campus and Virginia Tech campus of Agriculture. Not familiar with KY or GA, but I bet they are good as I would check Auburn out also. Both UT and VT the land around them is pretty flat and they have top of the line facilities as I could recommend both.

Around here several have went to Berea college of agriculture were you can work your way through and when finished want have near the debts of other colleges. It is a small college located at Berea Kentucky and I highly recommend. Your family has to meet a certain income level to qualify for the work study programs. NH is a pretty good ways from Berea, but if your major is Agriculture it could be well worth it.

http://catalog.berea.edu/en/Current/Cat ... -Resources

http://catalog.berea.edu/en/Current/Cat ... ources-B-S
Last edited by jltrent on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:03 pm

jltrent wrote:Agriculture Education----With the Education endorsement you must be wanting to go into teaching of Agriculture. I have been to UT campus and Virginia Tech campus of Agriculture. Not familiar with KY or GA, but I bet they are good as I would check Auburn out also. Both UT and VT the land around them is pretty flat and they have top of the line facilities as I could recommend both.

Around here several have went to Berea college of agriculture were you can work you way through and when finished want have near the debts of other colleges. It is located at Berea Kentucky and I highly recommend. Your family has to meet a certain income level to qualify for the work study programs. NH is a pretty good ways from Berea, but if your major is Agriculture it would be worth it.

http://catalog.berea.edu/en/Current/Cat ... -Resources

I can endorse Berea College. A very special experience. It has been a long time since I was on the University of Tennessee campus but it is a beautiful campus. UT or UK have good agricultural schools.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 pm

UK farm and facility is very impressive
0 x

torogmc81
GURU
GURU

Postby torogmc81 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:40 pm

I agree as well with Barea. In my short time here I have heard great things. My wife (Reg. dietitian) applied for a job that included working at Barea with their various programs and we were bummed when she didn't get the job
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:41 pm

I’m partial for several reasons but I vote for UGA. Grit is a long ways from Athens so don’t worry about him none :lol2: All kidding aside, UGA has a nationally renowned veterinary program and an outstanding agricultural department. But I’d venture to say the others you mentioned do also. I’d even wager that no matter where you go, within reason of course, you’ll get out of it what you put into it. Best wishes with your decision. It will likely open many doors for you. Enjoy your youth and freedom. It only comes around once. Be smart. But enjoy it. :tiphat:
3 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:47 pm

Virginia Tech has a nice ag complex. If you happen to choose UGA, I can set you up with a good place to pasture your horse in Madison.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:05 pm

My ex is a vet went too UGA..then vet School in Starkville Ms..gotta nephew at MSU Starkville now..
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Bloom where you are planted?
University of New Hampshire and Keene State are both good colleges, not to mention Dartmouth.
A couple of years towards a degree in Biological Sciences, chemistry, molecular biology, genetics ect. might help
determine your more specific area of interest to major while earning valuable credits transferable to many fields
including Ag. Ed. Majority of graduates end up working outside of the field in which they majored.
2 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:58 pm

Oregon State University. A long ways from home, but a number of solid agriculture programs to major in ... even a very strong vet school.
1 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:13 pm

Texas A&M would be good school to attend.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:53 pm

hurleyjd wrote:Texas A&M would be good school to attend.

Culture shock!! :shock: :shock:
But yes, TAMU is a great University.
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:44 am

Gotta put in a plug for Cornell! One of the top ag schools, beautiful area, not as far from home (?), and none of that hot Southern weather! Very impressive school https://admissions.cals.cornell.edu/aca ... -sciences/
virtual tour: (wow, stunning): http://150.cornell.edu/glorioustoview/
2 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:12 am

There ya go OBTC.....you too can be a Cornell Girl:

3 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Coffee Shop”