Picking majors and college

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
boondocks
GURU
GURU

Re: Picking majors and college

Postby boondocks » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:06 am

[quote="greybeard"]There ya go OBTC.....you too can be a Cornell Girl:

I suppose there's always Palin's alma mater, if I can figure out which one it is: "After graduating from high school in 1982, Palin enrolled at the University of Hawaii at Hilo.[26] Shortly after arriving in Hawaii, Palin transferred to Hawaii Pacific University in Honolulu for a semester in the fall of 1982 and then to North Idaho College, a community college in Coeur d'Alene, for the spring and fall semesters of 1983.[27] She enrolled at the University of Idaho in Moscow for an academic year starting in August 1984 and then attended Matanuska-Susitna College in Alaska in the fall of 1985. Palin returned to the University of Idaho in January 1986 and received her bachelor's degree in communications with an emphasis in journalism in May 1987"
2 x

SDM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SDM » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:19 am

Hard for me to believe but 20 years ago I was weighing a similar decision. Any land grant university should have a decent Ag Ed program just because there are ties to extension. Of course there are private schools like Berea and Ferrum as well (though nobody at my HS knew). I would make one suggestion. Consider a major such as animal science, agronomy, dairy science, etc. with a minor or double major in Ag Ed. You can fill your electives with Ag Ed classes. I think this may give you more options if you decide the classroom isn't where you want to be.
1 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:09 am

I can attest that either the University of Tennessee or UGA are good choices. You should really be looking at which has the better Ag Education Curriculum and scholarships always come into play when dealing with out of state tuition. I have a close friend that used to work for the UT Ag dept and is now the Vice President of Development at another non-land grant college. I will reach out to him and get his thoughts if you like?
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:35 am

greybeard wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:Texas A&M would be good school to attend.

Culture shock!! :shock: :shock:
But yes, TAMU is a great University.

I'd like to add my vote to TAMU. There may be some culture shock, but you won't find friendlier people anywhere. People in this part of the world like to tell Aggie jokes, but my favorite is: "Do you know what you call an Aggie five years after graduation?....Boss."
0 x
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 am

Your choice are nearly unlimited. I never spent much time east of the Mississippi so don't know those schools well. I did through some professional work get to know a couple professors fro Purdue and Iowa State. I would recommend either of them. Here in the PNW, Washington State and Oregon State both have great Ag programs (if I had it to do over again I would choose OSU). For agriculture education the University of Idaho is very highly regarded.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:12 am

Have you looked at UofNH? It's your state land-grant college, and has an Agriculture program.
While all the schools discussed so far (AU, UK, UT, UGa, TAMU, etc.) are good, you'll likely be incurring 'out of state' tuition costs, which may or may not be considerably higher than at an in-state college. Additionally, UNH may have scholarships (if you qualify) for in-state residents that would not be available at these other schools.
Just because something is farther away, doesn't necessarily mean it's better.
5 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:17 am

Auburn
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:44 am

greybeard wrote:

As an "Old Army" Aggie I highly recommend Aggieland. Only real drawback I see is the fact that it takes the better part of 2 days to walk from one side of the campus to the other and has 60K students but an awesome school of Agriculture and a great veterinary medicine school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY94iiybtQk
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:31 pm

I'd suggest Michigan state university but that might not exactly have to do with the school :lol:

On a serious note I have worked with several vet's and nutritionists from MSU and they have all been well equipped for their field.

I don't know anything about any of the other colleges but around here MSU is considered to be a premier ag college (might have to do with the fact that it's here though)

There are plenty of dairy farms around that you could visit and possibly even keep your cow at if you didn't want to leave her behind. Plus you know someone fairly close by if you ever needed anything
3 x

Engler
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Engler » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Where do you want to end up after college? There are some smaller schools that within their region are very well respected, but once you get 300 miles away are thought less of. A U of GA or A&M or MI St or, or, or would all be well respected nation wide but directional Kentucky (or fill in the state) is probably going to be looked down upon by some once you get a ways away.

Second-what are the alumni like? Right, wrong or indifferent, people like people like them. If the person doing the hiring for a job and is an alumni of XYZ university class of 1993 and there are 2 similar resumes in front of them with one from ABC U and the other from XYZ, who's going to get the nod?

Additionally what orgs are there available? I know a bunch of guys from my time in school that were members of a certain fraternity. It's amazing how many people that are from that same frat that are on the front lines of hiring. Again, it's somebody that I have a connection to as the HR person and they have an advantage.

You have to do what's right for you at the end of the day.
1 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:59 pm

I know that UNH has an ag program, but as a graduate of The University of Maine, I'd like to say that their hockey program is a joke. Just saying.

I was at the University of Illinois for several years in the 80's while my dad finished up his doctorate, and they had a first rate veterinarian program, which I sure also included a pretty decent agricultural program. I don't know how it's gone since then. My father left Burlington, VT in 1970 on a Greyhound bus to attend the University of Illinois. He had no real belongings aside from his clothes, some LP's (please say you know what those are) and his saxophone. There was no social media, cell phones, etc. During breaks he either stayed on campus or went to his grandmother's house a couple hours away. My mom left Eden, VT (super small) and went to the University of Illinois to be with my father. If they can do it, you can, too. It may seem intimidating, but give it a try. You might find you like it.

Just watch this movie, it'll hit home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b8r6iKGtlU
Last edited by Bestoutwest on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:00 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Just because something is farther away, doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

:clap:

And just because it's more expensive doesn't make it necessarily better, either.
2 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:07 pm

shaz wrote:Auburn

Culture shock#2 even if your from Alabama :cowboy:
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:00 pm

TexasBred wrote:
greybeard wrote:

As an "Old Army" Aggie I highly recommend Aggieland. Only real drawback I see is the fact that it takes the better part of 2 days to walk from one side of the campus to the other and has 60K students but an awesome school of Agriculture and a great veterinary medicine school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY94iiybtQk

My cousin went to A& M did the corp graduated with an AG degree went into the Air Force as a commissioned officer 35 years came out three star. Then went to work for Boeing as the vice president of operations in Saudi Arabia. Retired from Boeing at 65. Pretty good pension I suppose. Probable there in the early sixties. Pretty good engineering school also
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:27 pm

I have a friend getting her degree in Agribusiness. She ended up selecting a smaller university (Fort Hays State in KS) based on hours of counseling with our local K-State Extension office. Do you have similar resources available, someone that has literally been-there-done-that to guide you?

Just based on your comments/posts, you're a very intelligent young lady who is clearly passionate about your animals & Ag so I have no doubt you'll excel wherever you decide.

And I'll 2nd EZ's vote for MSU. They do have an exceptional Ag program.
1 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”