Picking majors and college

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Carpenter2n
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Picking majors and college

Postby Carpenter2n » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:43 pm

you would think people would be over Palin by now.
0 x
I started out an expert then spent the rest of my life learning all the things I didn't know....

Breathing is highly underrated!

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:11 am

Carpenter2n wrote:you would think people would be over Reno by now.

fixed it for ya :lol:
3 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:31 am

Ya'll sure made that a lot easier for the poor girl.

Go visit the area. Take a friend, stay a week. Meet people, explore the area. You will choose well.

Birds fly the nest. It is up to the bird where they fly.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:58 am

HDRider wrote:
Go visit the area. Take a friend, stay a week. Meet people, explore the area. You will choose well.

I was thinking that as well. There is a dairy show at MSU in March I'm sure you would enjoy and you could also check the area out
0 x

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:54 am

My thought process is I guess that I would really like to go away from home a little bit. I have given UNH a thought but I have my personal opinions of that school and they will be closing a large portion of the technical school anyway. Even if it's just for 4 years it would be nice to spread out. It would be really nice to go and visit a couple of them. I won't be able to do all of them but I have some family and friends in a couple states so I could definitely stop in. I'm not too much a fan of hotels.
0 x
Be decisive, wether right or wrong.
The road of life is paved with many flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:11 am

OwnedByTheCow wrote:My thought process is I guess that I would really like to go away from home a little bit. I have given UNH a thought but I have my personal opinions of that school and they will be closing a large portion of the technical school anyway. Even if it's just for 4 years it would be nice to spread out. It would be really nice to go and visit a couple of them. I won't be able to do all of them but I have some family and friends in a couple states so I could definitely stop in. I'm not too much a fan of hotels.

I kinda liked the hotel when I went to Kansas. You leave the room dirty in the morning and it's clean when you get back in the evening :lol: (we really didn't leave it that dirty)
0 x

rowdyred
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby rowdyred » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:27 am

Mississippi State, you could go into education and teach, that would give you some free time to raise your animals.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:45 am

OwnedByTheCow wrote: I'm not too much a fan of hotels.

With that being said, are you going to be a fan of dorm rooms? This is a very big decision on your part. Not only will it dictate the rest of your life potentially, but if you go somewhere and don't like it, you're still financially responsible for it. This is what kept me going to UMaine and not going to UCLA, Oregon, BSU, etc when I lived in Maine.

Just something to think about.
1 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:08 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
OwnedByTheCow wrote: I'm not too much a fan of hotels.

With that being said, are you going to be a fan of dorm rooms? This is a very big decision on your part. Not only will it dictate the rest of your life potentially, but if you go somewhere and don't like it, you're still financially responsible for it. This is what kept me going to UMaine and not going to UCLA, Oregon, BSU, etc when I lived in Maine.

Just something to think about.

Neither one of my kids liked the community showers and bathrooms in the dorms at VSU or FSU. Freshman had to stay on campus and in dorms, unless they lived in close proximity to the school.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:31 pm

OwnedByTheCow wrote:I have decided that I would like to pursue Agriculture Education as my college major. Which is what I really want to do. It's what I'm good at, I love agriculture and teaching people about it. I am really happy that I figured it out.

**disclaimer** (at this point, I have not yet read the whole thread)

Doesn't UNH have an Ag program? Perhaps @ Thompson School of Applied Science? Or is that just a Vet Tech/Pre-Vet program?
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:33 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
OwnedByTheCow wrote:I have decided that I would like to pursue Agriculture Education as my college major. Which is what I really want to do. It's what I'm good at, I love agriculture and teaching people about it. I am really happy that I figured it out.

**disclaimer** (at this point, I have not yet read the whole threa
Doesn't UNH have an Ag program? Perhaps @ Thompson School of Applied Science? Or is that just a Vet Tech/Pre-Vet program?

I'm not a fan of UNH. They are voting to close the Thompson school entirely.
0 x
The road of life is paved with many flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:55 pm

OwnedByTheCow wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:

**disclaimer** (at this point, I have not yet read the whole thread

:shock: :o Wow! Not enough enrollment? Times sure have changed, since I was in your shoes. (way back when)
0 x

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
OwnedByTheCow wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
**disclaimer** (at this point, I have not yet read the whole thread

:shock: :o Wow! Not enough enrollment? Times sure have changed, since I was in your shoes. (way back when)

It's just not their major source of income as there other courses get. The people that attend Thompson typically need student loans and are also local to the university so they won't be paying for housing. It's not a money maker. They just took out half the
land to build housing.
1 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:24 pm

OwnedByTheCow, that's sad. Thanks for the info.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:40 pm

I really like the looks of University of Georgia in Athens, Tennessee's Herbert College of Agriculture in Knoxville and Kentucky's College of Agriculture, Food and Science.
The final straw will be what the area outside of the college is like as well. I've never left the region of New England so I am completely clueless as to what it's like in those areas. If y'all can give me insight it would be much appreciated.

The only issue I'm facing is leaving New Hampshire. i would go all in if I didn't have to leave my horse and cows behind which has really been weighing on my mind as I am looking.

I've spent my entire childhood dreaming of leaving but now it's making my stomach turn :cry: . I know that it's what I have to do I'm so ready for new things, not quite ready to say goodbye to some things however.
Just my thoughts....

Its ok for your stomach to turn. This is a big milestone in you life. Congratulations! :clap:

Weigh out the pros and cons and go visit the campuses. My only advice is go with what makes you happy and follow your gut.

If you have the ability to leave home do it. Its an experience you will never forget even if its only and hour or two away.

X2 on Texas A&M in case you really want to venture out. I didn't graduate from there but the vast majority of my friends did. I spent my fair share of time there and the atmosphere in the whole town it great.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Return to “Coffee Shop”