New Endangered Species

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16864
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby greybeard » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:56 pm

Close minded=any thought process, protocol, belief, or ideology any particular individual or group doesn't happen to agree with, campaign for, support or accept.

IOW:
Be like I am or you are close minded
("I" being the person claiming others are close minded)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2800
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby bball » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Closed minded implies a lack of willingness to consider other ideas, concepts or beliefs that are different than ones own. The close-minded person is usually more concerned with fortifying their own position and winning the argument as opposed to questioning why someone else believes or holds a different position.
4 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7283
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:08 pm

greybeard wrote:Close minded=any thought process, protocol, belief, or ideology any particular individual or group doesn't happen to agree with, campaign for, support or accept.

IOW:
Be like I am or you are close minded
("I" being the person claiming others are close minded)


Forgive me for speaking for sstterry but he and I have exchanged several PMs.

Here is what I think he means, not necessarily close minded.

Users who exhibit very little capacity to even discuss values or views outside their own.

I may be wrong. Hopefully he will shed some light on why he is not comfortable expressing his views.
2 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5131
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:I believe it has to do with age.
With age comes experience...

Age is an EXCUSE.....
Age has nothing to do with it.

Of course age is a major factor. I'll give an extreme example to make my point.

2 yr olds are as open minded as can be, they're like little sponges with poor judgment.
By age 5 they've formed very definite opinions based on their experiences and even more so by age 15 and learning
continues throughout our lives. With time, the more experiences you'll have and the quicker you learn to sort the
wheat from the chaff. Which to a 2 yr old, or a 5 yr old or 15 yr old ect. appears to be a lack of open mindedness.
1 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7283
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:26 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:I believe it has to do with age.
With age comes experience...

Age is an EXCUSE.....
Age has nothing to do with it.

Of course age is a major factor. I'll give an extreme example to make my point.

2 yr olds are as open minded as can be, they're like little sponges with poor judgment.
By age 5 they've formed very definite opinions based on their experiences and even more so by age 15 and learning
continues throughout our lives. With time, the more experiences you'll have and the quicker you learn to sort the
wheat from the chaff. Which to a 2 yr old, or a 5 yr old and so on appears to be a lack of open mindedness.


Reference the post above authored by bball:

Closed minded implies a lack of willingness to consider other ideas, concepts or beliefs that are different than ones own. The close-minded person is usually more concerned with fortifying their own position and winning the argument as opposed to questioning why someone else believes or holds a different position.

Let's just focus on that condition or behavior. That does not imply that one must change their values or philosophy. It only indicts a person for failing to allow free communication in both directions.

It is a function of "attitude" - BTW: Your comment a couple weeks ago brought that point home to me. I cannot remember the thread but you made a remark that something was a result of attitude. I thought you captured that point very well.

Back on point, as I have gotten older, I think I have cultivated an attitude of showing more tolerance toward the other person's values, interests, and philosophies. That does not mean I adopt or agree with their values, interests, or philosophies but I have the capacity to entertain them and in most cases show them the respect they deserve.

Steve, again I should not speak for him, but I think what he means in the post above is that if he expresses an opposing view, there are a couple Users here who can be disrespectful of others.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5131
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:55 pm

Bright Raven wrote:The close-minded person is usually more concerned with fortifying their own position and winning the argument
as opposed to questioning why someone else believes or holds a different position.


Let's just focus on that condition or behavior. That does not imply that one must change their values or philosophy.
It only indicts a person for failing to allow free communication in both directions.

It is a function of "attitude" - ...
as I have gotten older, I think I have cultivated an attitude of showing more tolerance toward the other person's values, interests, and philosophies. That does not mean I adopt or agree with their values, interests, or philosophies but
I have the capacity to entertain them and in most cases show them the respect they deserve.

It's a 2 way street, advocating for open mindedness is also just a way of fortifying a position to win an argument.

ie Robert Kennedy's inspirational quote....
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not."

It is an eloquent (but veiled) plea for open mindedness... to advance his agenda.
When broken down it pits the Practical vs the ideology of the Dreamer.
There is more often good sound reason for "things that never were" to be "things that never were."
2 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7283
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:The close-minded person is usually more concerned with fortifying their own position and winning the argument
as opposed to questioning why someone else believes or holds a different position.


Let's just focus on that condition or behavior. That does not imply that one must change their values or philosophy.
It only indicts a person for failing to allow free communication in both directions.

It is a function of "attitude" - ...
as I have gotten older, I think I have cultivated an attitude of showing more tolerance toward the other person's values, interests, and philosophies. That does not mean I adopt or agree with their values, interests, or philosophies but
I have the capacity to entertain them and in most cases show them the respect they deserve.

It's a 2 way street, advocating for open mindedness is also just a way of fortifying a position to win an argument.

ie Robert Kennedy's inspirational quote....
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not."

It is an eloquent (but veiled) plea for open mindedness... to advance his agenda.
When broken down it pits the Practical vs the ideology of the Dreamer.
There is more often good sound reason for "things that never were" to be "things that never were."


Good logic. I tend to agree.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7283
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:49 am

Son of Butch wrote:I'll give an extreme example to make my point.

2 yr olds are as open minded as can be, they're like little sponges with poor judgment.
By age 5 they've formed very definite opinions based on their experiences and even more so by age 15 and learning
continues throughout our lives. With time, the more experiences you'll have and the quicker you learn to sort the
wheat from the chaff. Which to a 2 yr old, or a 5 yr old or 15 yr old ect. appears to be a lack of open mindedness.


Butch: A quote you will like.

Prof. Walter Kotschnig told Holyoke College students to keep their minds open—“but not so open that your brains fall out.”

The disgrace is in having such a closed mind that one embraces ignorance as a virtue.
2 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby sstterry » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:24 am

Sorry all, I did not mean to stir the hornet's nest here. We all have our different views of things and am always willing to listen to opposing views, sometimes it may change my mind and sometimes not. But what I don't like is any view that follows either the Democratic or Republican doctrine without any independent thought or questioning and claiming that their position is the moral high ground.

I get enough politics in my daily life and I should not stir things up here. I am here to learn about cattle and will be the first to admit that all of you know more than I do in that realm.
7 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2035
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby ddd75 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:41 pm

i just heard dr. oz on the radio.

he was saying how people believe in what they do because its genetic.

He was giving an example of how some people find things disgusting and others do not.. this is just a function for us to stay away from things like sickness. dirty areas ..etc.

he was saying how we all shouldn't think alike or all want to like the same things. It was pretty nice to hear someone actually talk about it like that.
1 x

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6830
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:38 pm

Personally I have a mind like a steel trap.

All rusty and slammed shut.
1 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7435
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:29 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:I'll give an extreme example to make my point.

2 yr olds are as open minded as can be, they're like little sponges with poor judgment.
By age 5 they've formed very definite opinions based on their experiences and even more so by age 15 and learning
continues throughout our lives. With time, the more experiences you'll have and the quicker you learn to sort the
wheat from the chaff. Which to a 2 yr old, or a 5 yr old or 15 yr old ect. appears to be a lack of open mindedness.


Butch: A quote you will like.

Prof. Walter Kotschnig told Holyoke College students to keep their minds open—“but not so open that your brains fall out.”

The disgrace is in having such a closed mind that one embraces ignorance as a virtue.

I always thought that was how a person becomes a liberal.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7283
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:54 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:I'll give an extreme example to make my point.

2 yr olds are as open minded as can be, they're like little sponges with poor judgment.
By age 5 they've formed very definite opinions based on their experiences and even more so by age 15 and learning
continues throughout our lives. With time, the more experiences you'll have and the quicker you learn to sort the
wheat from the chaff. Which to a 2 yr old, or a 5 yr old or 15 yr old ect. appears to be a lack of open mindedness.


Butch: A quote you will like.

Prof. Walter Kotschnig told Holyoke College students to keep their minds open—“but not so open that your brains fall out.”

The disgrace is in having such a closed mind that one embraces ignorance as a virtue.

I always thought that was how a person becomes a liberal.


I have no doubt there are liberals who embrace ignorance. I got to tell you, there are plenty of Conservatives who have the same ailment.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29615
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby TexasBred » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:06 am

ddd75 wrote:i just heard dr. oz on the radio.

he was saying how people believe in what they do because its genetic.

He was giving an example of how some people find things disgusting and others do not.. this is just a function for us to stay away from things like sickness. dirty areas ..etc.

he was saying how we all shouldn't think alike or all want to like the same things. It was pretty nice to hear someone actually talk about it like that.

Next time you see Dr. Oz tell him that ain't genetics!!!!
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3671
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas

Re: New Endangered Species

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 am

"This thread is meant to be nonpolitical and is not intended to be left wing or right wing because no matter what wing you identify we are all attached to the same bird and the bird is what's important. Just offering some food for thought." Quote from Jo's original post that started this discussion.

What happens if one wing of the bird is weaker than the other. The bird should fly in circles never getting anywhere. So are we needing a strong wing on each side of the bird to make any progress. Who tries to pull the wing feathers from the bird. The ones that want the bird to fly in their direction. So pretty soon the bird has no feathers at all in its wings and cannot fly at all. This is where we are now in our nation. My mother always had a flock of chickens there would be one that would fly over the fence. She would catch it and pull the feathers from one wing to keep it in the hen yard. Time to let bygones be bygones and let the feathers grow back so America can advance to greater glory. There seems to be no national goal most of us can get behind why is that, in my case I would ask the question what is the goal. I will also add a saying from my Grandmother, " Wherever the bird shall flyth the tail shall follow."
1 x


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: shaz and 10 guests