More rain for the Southeast?

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: More rain for the Southeast?

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:28 am

We could use more rain since we haven't had any rain in maybe a day or two. :bang:
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:30 am

Jogeephus wrote:We could use more rain since we haven't had any rain in maybe a day or two. :bang:

You'll definitely get your wish, be careful what you wish for in the flat lands.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:33 am

WE are DRY but i feel sorry for harvest. I did nootice that every field had pickers running late yesterday and it looks like they brought in help. several thousand acres of cotton has been defoliated and peanuts plowed up. Hopefully they get it all done today.

Im just left of the I10 maker on this pic .

Imageimage posting
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:46 am

M-5 wrote:WE are DRY but i feel sorry for harvest. I did nootice that every field had pickers running late yesterday and it looks like they brought in help. several thousand acres of cotton has been defoliated and peanuts plowed up. Hopefully they get it all done today.

Imageimage posting

Do you put the cows in the woods or a pasture? We're in the middle of the bullseye. Rebel auction has a couple of things I'm interested in and for now the sale is still on for Thursday. There's a loader for a 7000 series Ford at absolute.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:47 am

M-5 wrote:WE are DRY but i feel sorry for harvest. I did nootice that every field had pickers running late yesterday and it looks like they brought in help. several thousand acres of cotton has been defoliated and peanuts plowed up. Hopefully they get it all done today.

Imageimage posting

It’s gonna wreak havoc on the cotton here. A lot has been defoliated and what hasn’t is pretty well open. Wind will ruin it.
Won’t help the peanuts but it’s likely not to be as detrimental to them. Neighbor finished plowing up the rest of theirs Sunday and yesterday. They’ve picked about 700 of 900 acres. They were almost done. Rain won’t help but it won’t hurt them too bad provided they can get back in the fields to get them picked.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:59 am

Hmm....how does crop/disaster insurance work on cotton in a module that gets blown to help by a storm. Do you pick it whit the hope it doesn’t blow or wash away. What’s the logic here?
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:10 am

1982vett wrote:Hmm....how does crop/disaster insurance work on cotton in a module that gets blown to help by a storm. Do you pick it whit the hope it doesn’t blow or wash away. What’s the logic here?

Not as many modules as in the past. The gins are running 24/7 picking them up . the bales might roll bot wont hurt them. Its a gamble either way . You can see the farmers trying to do it right and the ones that are hoping to cash a insurance check
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:13 am

True Grit Farms wrote:

Imageimage posting

Do you put the cows in the woods or a pasture? We're in the middle of the bullseye. Rebel auction has a couple of things I'm interested in and for now the sale is still on for Thursday. There's a loader for a 7000 series Ford at absolute.

I will give them access to everything . let them decide where they want to be .
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:22 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I'm a little worried about this one because it's expected to be moving fast. We could get a lot of wind from this.

I prefer to get more wind for shorter duration than less wind over a long period of time. Trees here can take a lot, but not for long.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:30 am

M-5 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Imageimage posting

I will give them access to everything . let them decide where they want to be .

That's what I would do . Open every interior gate. If things get that bad you'll be to busy. They'll have to take care of themselves
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:35 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:We could use more rain since we haven't had any rain in maybe a day or two. :bang:

You'll definitely get your wish, be careful what you wish for in the flat lands.

I can't win for losing this year. Just has gotten dry enough to get in the river bottoms after spending a lot of time and money undoing the road damage the beavers have caused and unplugging pipes. All this effort has been wasted if we get the rain they are predicting. Today will be spent trying to get everything out of the swamps before the monsoon begins. Good thing is we got all the hay baled yesterday so that's one thing less to worry about.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:43 am

M-5 wrote:
1982vett wrote:Hmm....how does crop/disaster insurance work on cotton in a module that gets blown to help by a storm. Do you pick it whit the hope it doesn’t blow or wash away. What’s the logic here?

Not as many modules as in the past. The gins are running 24/7 picking them up . the bales might roll bot wont hurt them. Its a gamble either way . You can see the farmers trying to do it right and the ones that are hoping to cash a insurance check

A couple, maybe 3 weeks at most, after Harvey, I was down near Corpus Christi and there were hundreds and hundreds of modules in the fields between Rockport and Stinton. I don't know if they were baled before Harvey or right after, but if it was before, that had to be huge losses.Some of thos fields were close enough and low enough to have had salt water on them.
Brute might be familiar with that area..same area as the wind farm.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 pm

If you have a chance say a prayer for our area. This is going to be devastating Storm.

4 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:45 pm

M-5 wrote:If you have a chance say a prayer for our area. This is going to be devastating Storm.

Prayers are sent your way and please stay safe. In times like this, it is better to err on the side of caution!
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:13 pm

sstterry wrote:
M-5 wrote:If you have a chance say a prayer for our area. This is going to be devastating Storm.

Prayers are sent your way and please stay safe. In times like this, it is better to err on the side of caution!

Safe as I can be . My wife is having to staff the EOC at the prison tonight. My house is secure barring tornadoes or trees. Kids are coming here tonight and tomorrow.
1 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”