No tution college

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

No tution college

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:47 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careers ... spartandhp

Can some of you folks from Kentucky discuss this college.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: No tution college

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:19 am

Berea College is just off of I-75 south of Richmond. Lazy M resides down in that area. The town of Berea is absolutely lovely. The area is rolling hills like most of Kentucky. The college has traditionally attracted poor students from Appalachia. As the article states, students work in lieu of paying a tuition.

It is a liberal arts college and has a decent academic rating. It attracts professors that are dedicated to the fundamentals of teaching and less so research. There are no medical, veterinarian, dental, etc. Colleges.

The locality is beautiful. I have acquaintances who got their undergraduate degrees from there and went on to other schools for more advanced training. Some of these people came from very poor families in Appalachia. They all say their experience at Berea college was special.

At one time maybe they still do, they had a dairy and I remember one friend who worked at the dairy to make their way through.

When I went to college in the 1960s and 70s. It was not unique to work your way through college. Most colleges had workships. For example, I had a workship in the science building where I did everything from shoot rats with an air rifle to classify insects for the Natural History Museum. Berea College took that concept to the highest level.
3 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:00 am

Well said Ron.

My mother in law attended Berea Colllege before earning her degree in education from Eastern Kentucky and going on to teach elementary school for 30 years. She was very proud of Berea College.
3 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:11 am

I sorta wish we could that to help pay for our daughter's education. As long as a kid has a 3.0 gpa or better I see no reason not to educate them. I'm 100% against giving them or their families the money to pay for them though. My daughter tutors high school students and college students through a program that pays her a little something for spending money. Hopefully she won't get tired of learning and decide to become a teacher.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:24 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I sorta wish we could that to help pay for our daughter's education. As long as a kid has a 3.0 gpa or better I see no reason not to educate them. I'm 100% against giving them or their families the money to pay for them though. My daughter tutors high school students and college students through a program that pays her a little something for spending money. Hopefully she won't get tired of learning and decide to become a teacher.

I understand. Nothing could be more disappointing for a parent than having a capable kid go off to college and waste a lot of money.

I think the system would fare better if the student has to invest themself into their goal. I don't know what today's dropout rate is but I know many more start than ever finish.

I remember setting up a Uniform Trust To Minors Act trust fund. These are Trusts that are set up for a minor. Once it is set up, the guardian has no authority to break it. It belongs to the minor. When they reach 18, it is legally the money of the minor. I set one up for Clint because it provides a 100 percent shelter of the money from taxes. My objective was for Clint to have enough money to pay his way through an undergraduate degree. The risk is that they turn 18 and use the money for another purpose. That didn't happen.

I know some gifted kids who had full ride scholarships that flushed it all down the toilet because they did not understand how to place value on those things that are important and those that are not. To each his own. Some of them have regrets, some don't.
Last edited by Bright Raven on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:24 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I sorta wish we could that to help pay for our daughter's education. As long as a kid has a 3.0 gpa or better I see no reason not to educate them. I'm 100% against giving them or their families the money to pay for them though. My daughter tutors high school students and college students through a program that pays her a little something for spending money. Hopefully she won't get tired of learning and decide to become a teacher.

You say a lot of off the wall things on these boards but I do believe you finally topped them all right there.
4 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:26 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

You say a lot of off the wall things on these boards but I do believe you finally topped them all right there.

Why does he do that?
0 x
Diogenes.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 am

Paul Quinn college mentioned in the article was about bankrupt when a new dean took over. Did away with the sports program and saved millions a year. Plowed up the foot ball field and made it into a garden. Watched a program on PBS about this. Everyone that lives on campus and when coming for the nightly meal they have to be dressed for success. Mark Cuban buys all of the produce they produce for his maverick players kitchen. I think for the USA to survive in the world we are in now and the future we are going to have to make higher education a goal and one students can afford.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:31 am

hurleyjd wrote:Paul Quinn college mentioned in the article was about bankrupt when a new dean took over. Did away with the sports program and saved millions a year. Plowed up the foot ball field and made it into a garden. Watched a program on PBS about this. Everyone that lives on campus and when coming for the nightly meal they have to be dressed for success. Mark Cuban buys all of the produce they produce for his maverick players kitchen. I think for the USA to survive in the world we are in now and the future we are going to have to make higher education a goal and one students can afford.

Interesting. I don't think Berea has a sports program!
0 x
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:32 am

Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Why does he do that?

I’m not at liberty to offer an honest response for fear of retribution by the powers that be.
4 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:33 am

hurleyjd wrote:Paul Quinn college mentioned in the article was about bankrupt when a new dean took over. Did away with the sports program and saved millions a year. Plowed up the foot ball field and made it into a garden. Watched a program on PBS about this. Everyone that lives on campus and when coming for the nightly meal they have to be dressed for success. Mark Cuban buys all of the produce they produce for his maverick players kitchen. I think for the USA to survive in the world we are in now and the future we are going to have to make higher education a goal and one students can afford.

“One students can afford”

I agree.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:47 am

Hopefully she won't get tired of learning and decide to become a teacher.

My niece's husband did exactly that. Well, he didn't really get tired.more a case of the free $$ running out.
He had gone to college on GI bill and just kept going on one govt program or another, his primary study in some sort of specialized ocean marine biology. When he finally got done, he found it was SO specialized, that the only job available in that field was teaching it to others so that's what he's doing for the last 8-10 years now. That's him tho. Teaching oceanic marine biology...right there at the university that sits on the long promontory jutting out into the Bay......in Arkansas.
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:34 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Think the wall collapsed on that one.
Two most important jobs in our society are first responders and educators. We send our children off daily to learn from these people to have a better life.
We call the first responders to protect them and we pay the garbage man more.

“ The man that can read and doesn’t has no advantage over the man who can’t “
Mark Twain
5 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:38 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

For her becoming a teacher is taking the easy way out. She has the means and ways to do whatever she pleases so why the heck become a teacher? Isn't getting tired of going to school and learning all tied together? Doesn't a teacher teach and a student learn?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:50 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

For her becoming a teacher is taking the easy way out. She has the means and ways to do whatever she pleases so why the heck become a teacher? Isn't getting tired of going to school and learning all tied together? Doesn't a teacher teach and a student learn?

I think I know what you mean. You are not disparaging the profession of teaching. Your point is specific to your daughter. You want her to pursue the highest levels of the medical profession. You have said she is in pre-med.

The profession of teaching is "extremely demanding" for those who aspire to excell. I taught on a Graduate Assistantship and I know a lot of teachers. The job is absolutely overwhelming if done as it requires.
3 x
Diogenes.

Return to “Coffee Shop”