No tution college

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Re: No tution college

Post by ga.prime » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:42 am

Teaching is a thankless job. Tuition amounts to maybe about half the cost of college. Everything about college is overpriced. Parking permit $600.

where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:47 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I sorta wish we could that to help pay for our daughter's education. As long as a kid has a 3.0 gpa or better I see no reason not to educate them. I'm 100% against giving them or their families the money to pay for them though. My daughter tutors high school students and college students through a program that pays her a little something for spending money. Hopefully she won't get tired of learning and decide to become a teacher.

You say a lot of off the wall things on these boards but I do believe you finally topped them all right there.

For her becoming a teacher is taking the easy way out. She has the means and ways to do whatever she pleases so why the heck become a teacher? Isn't getting tired of going to school and learning all tied together? Doesn't a teacher teach and a student learn?

“When one teaches, two learn.”

― Robert Heinlein

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:49 pm

In Tennessee the first two years can be tuition free (Community College and Vocational School) if you maintain the GPA. After that the Tennessee Promise Scholarship is available to those that maintain the GPA.

herofan
GURU
GURU

Post by herofan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:59 pm

ga.prime wrote:Teaching is a thankless job. .

I wonder when and why that changed? When I had started college in the 80s to become a teacher, an older gentleman told me that when he was a kid and even a young man, teachers were viewed with about as much respect as a preacher; they had high status in the community, but that has certainly changed.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:28 pm

herofan wrote:

I wonder when and why that changed? When I had started college in the 80s to become a teacher, an older gentleman told me that when he was a kid and even a young man, teachers were viewed with about as much respect as a preacher; they had high status in the community, but that has certainly changed.

Some still are, a good teacher makes a lasting impression on their students. I looked up a 9th grade math teacher to whip his azz and when I found him he was a little old man. We talked for hours and I could sorta see why he treated me like he did.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jogeephus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:50 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
herofan wrote:

Some still are, a good teacher makes a lasting impression on their students. I looked up a 9th grade math teacher to whip his azz and when I found him he was a little old man. We talked for hours and I could sorta see why he treated me like he did.

I agree that many still are and that respect is earned not given. I think the general perception of teachers vacillates with the involvement the teachers have with their union. When the union is upset and wanting more and teachers are doing better with their pay and benefits than the average person this just looks bad.

Don't get me wrong, most of the teachers I know are terrific teachers and I and my children owe of them a debt of gratitude but I also know a few who shouldn't have their jobs but for whatever reason are allowed to remain employed. I also think the teachers union has done the good teachers a disservice by fighting to stop teachers from being drug tested and I think any teacher that uses drugs or comes to school drunk should be fired on the spot and the union should stay out of it because this gives everyone a bad name.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
herofan wrote:

I agree that many still are and that respect is earned not given. I think the general perception of teachers vacillates with the involvement the teachers have with their union. When the union is upset and wanting more and teachers are doing better with their pay and benefits than the average person this just looks bad.

Don't get me wrong, most of the teachers I know are terrific teachers and I and my children owe of them a debt of gratitude but I also know a few who shouldn't have their jobs but for whatever reason are allowed to remain employed. I also think the teachers union has done the good teachers a disservice by fighting to stop teachers from being drug tested and I think any teacher that uses drugs or comes to school drunk should be fired on the spot and the union should stay out of it because this gives everyone a bad name.

I feel every public servant needs to be drug tested. Especially the cops, firefighters and teachers.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Post by Bestoutwest » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:21 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Some still are, a good teacher makes a lasting impression on their students. I looked up a 9th grade math teacher to whip his azz and when I found him he was a little old man. We talked for hours and I could sorta see why he treated me like he did.

I feel every public servant needs to be drug tested. Especially the cops, firefighters and teachers.

We may not have very many left if we have to do that! :lol2: I used to teach with a woman who was one of the biggest pot heads I've ever met, and that took talent.

I taught for three years in the mid 2000's. I found that the administration and those that helped to shape curriculum had their heads so firmly lodged that it was amazingly difficult to actually teach. I think that helps to ruin the reputation more than anything.
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:06 pm

This thread has devolved into total nonsense.
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Well I guess I'll carry it on around the bend then, but when it seemed to become way more commonplace for teachers to be covertly giving "hands on" sex ed lessons, & teachers began to be teaching one side of the P spectrum against the others, public sentiment changed accordingly. (or maybe it just got reported in the news more often)

(All this talk on education, including by some educators and no one has asked What in the he77 is 'tution'? )
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
You say a lot of off the wall things on these boards but I do believe you finally topped them all right there.

For her becoming a teacher is taking the easy way out. She has the means and ways to do whatever she pleases so why the heck become a teacher? Isn't getting tired of going to school and learning all tied together? Doesn't a teacher teach and a student learn?

I think I know what you mean. You are not disparaging the profession of teaching. Your point is specific to your daughter. You want her to pursue the highest levels of the medical profession. You have said she is in pre-med.

The profession of teaching is "extremely demanding" for those who aspire to excell. I taught on a Graduate Assistantship and I know a lot of teachers. The job is absolutely overwhelming if done as it requires.

Wait a few years and you may be treated by a doctor that is a doctor only because "daddy" wanted me to be a doctor. :shock: :shock:
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:25 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I sorta wish we could that to help pay for our daughter's education. As long as a kid has a 3.0 gpa or better I see no reason not to educate them. I'm 100% against giving them or their families the money to pay for them though. My daughter tutors high school students and college students through a program that pays her a little something for spending money. Hopefully she won't get tired of learning and decide to become a teacher.

I understand. Nothing could be more disappointing for a parent than having a capable kid go off to college and waste a lot of money.

I think the system would fare better if the student has to invest themself into their goal. I don't know what today's dropout rate is but I know many more start than ever finish.

I remember setting up a Uniform Trust To Minors Act trust fund. These are Trusts that are set up for a minor. Once it is set up, the guardian has no authority to break it. It belongs to the minor. When they reach 18, it is legally the money of the minor. I set one up for Clint because it provides a 100 percent shelter of the money from taxes. My objective was for Clint to have enough money to pay his way through an undergraduate degree. The risk is that they turn 18 and use the money for another purpose. That didn't happen.

I know some gifted kids who had full ride scholarships that flushed it all down the toilet because they did not understand how to place value on those things that are important and those that are not. To each his own. Some of them have regrets, some don't.

Set up accounts for my girls under Texas Uniform Gifts to Minors Act when they were almost infants. Continued making deposits all those years. Had a nice sum of money when they enrolled in college.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:25 pm

college is affordable. its the students spending who make it not.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jogeephus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:33 pm

TexasBred wrote:Wait a few years and you may be treated by a doctor that is a doctor only because "daddy" wanted me to be a doctor. :shock: :shock:

Your optimism is refreshing and I hope you are right as I'll take that over one who identifies as a doctor or one who is a doctor because the college needs to meet some politically correct quota.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

herofan
GURU
GURU

Post by herofan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:40 am

Jogeephus wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
herofan wrote:

Personally, I think a teacher should make more than someone at an “average job.” Of course, I’m sure the definition of average could be an entirely different topic, but I see nothing wrong with teachers making more than the manager of McDonalds. I guess it shows priorities in the country.

I live in a rural area, so I don’t know opportunities in cities, but in my area, teachers make more than regular workers at fast food restaurants, department stores, and things like that. We don’t make more than the managers, major factories, or any other college graduates who have utilized their degree.